01 STS Climate Control Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 01 STS Climate Control Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought an 01 STS and now when I try to turn on the air conditiong it blows hot ...
    Caddy_01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS and 1997 Seville STS

01 STS Climate Control Problem

I just bought an 01 STS and now when I try to turn on the air conditiong it blows hot air out of the drivers side vents and cold air out of passenger vents. I have both temps set at 60 degrees and it still does it. I also made sure the AC/Off button was not pressed. Could this be a problem with climate control unit? I would really appriciate any help you can give me on this problem

Thanks
    Adam
    Caddy_01

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddyshack100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP

Re: 01 STS Climate Control Problem

I think we have found another Cadillac weak point. It seems there a few people with this same problem.
    Adam, you must live in a warm climate, under the glove box, there is a heater box, which has two actuator motors, one is for the drivers side and one is for the passenger.

Firstly, try going from hot to cold and back again, 60 to 90 and listen in the glove box area for any noises. It may be that your actuators are not being exercised enough. That is usually the simplest, on a 2001 you should not be needing any acutator motors.

Now if you do that and nothing changes, then run the codes, you will probably have a code for a door movement error. This will be a B code
    my guess would be a drivers side actuator motor. These motors are not expensive, but can be a pain with large hands to replace.

Try the above first and get back and tell us what you find. Good hunting

I checked and heard a clicking sound when I moved the temp from hot to cold. I could not see where the door actuator to the drivers side is, is it right under the glove box? I took the trim panel down. I ran the codes they are do you know what any of these codes mean?

DDM B1328
    DDM U1713
    MSM U1000
    PCM P1617
    RIM B1007
    RIM B1328
    TTM U1016

Adam

Adam, I got some bad news for you, your car has quite alot going on. Its not so simple as moving your temp back and forth. To start with, the First code, B1328 deals specifically with A/C. It has to do with your sunload sensor which determines the AC coming on for the Drivers side. The U codes are Class 2 Data communication codes, the U1000 is a EEprom error. Unless you have a Factory Service Manual handy, I would suggest you take this vehicle in to get checked, some of these codes are going to need a scantool to diagnose properly. The PCM code, 1617 is directing you to your oil level switch in the oil pan. It would appear you have some electrical gremlins. I hope everything works out for you.

thanks for your reply is the sunload sensor hard to replace? how much do they cost? I think thats what my climate control problem is, you ever ran into a bad sensor?

thanks
    Adam

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

adam,

you can find out the price on the part for the sun load sensor on www.gmpartsdirect.com or do a search here for "seville parts list" i have a pdf in a thread somewhere here. good luck

That parts list was put in the Tech section if Iam not mistaken, both Seville and Devilles are great, good work on those, they have been a great help. Before you go and buy one of these sensors, there is a diagnostic procedure to follow first. I would hope it is something as simple as the sensor, but you may replace it and be no further ahead. I believe the sensor is not that hard to change, it should be on the dash somewhere. I can post if you want the directions to it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The sunload sensor is the domed one(s) on the defroster grill. I think there are two. I'm not saying that is your problem, just where it is located.

thanks for your help guys I just ordered a sunload sensor so I will try it and let you know if it fixes the problem

Hi guys I finally got my sunload sensor it was a special order part. I am having a hard time taking the top of the dash apart. I figured it would just snap off but it looks like there are screws holding it in but i can't get to them because of the wood trim. Is there clips somewhere else that I am missing any info you can give would help me out

thanks
    Adam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.