Should I get rid of my Bose system?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Should I get rid of my Bose system? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In my 93 seville my bose system is horrible. The cd player doesn't work, I have the worst reception, and ...
    whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Should I get rid of my Bose system?

In my 93 seville my bose system is horrible. The cd player doesn't work, I have the worst reception, and the speakers sound like their done. Basicly I would rather have this than listen to my bose.

So should I try to fix it or just ditch it.

If I replace my head unit and speakers would I beable to run factory amps. I know the bose runs on 1 or 2 ohms and if I change the speakers and head unit then would it be ok. As for the reception I hope that it will be fixed.

Or should I get a new bose deck and infinnity kappa speakers. If so what size are the door speakers. I don't like the fact that the bose deck limits loudness. So some help please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lry99eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Should I get rid of my Bose system?

Well, if my Bose system was as ragged as you say yours is, I'd opt out and get all new other than Bose. For the cost I'd think you could get one hell of a system. My Bose sounds great, to me at least, and I crank it from time to time with no problems. But if it were to go tomorrow, I'd go full tilt with a hot new unit. Can't beat ever changing newer technology!!!
    lry99eldo

Big_Caddy_Shack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

From what I understand If you goto an aftermarket headunit then you will need to buy an adapter to connect to the bose system. I found this to be true in my "96 Olds Aurora" and my "98 Seville". If your car is setup the same you will have to do this also to use the factory amps. If you choose not to do this then you will have to either wire all the speakers from the headunit or from the new aftermarket amp. I work at Best Buy and our installer said the piece ran from $200 - $250 depending on where you found it BUT once installed you can use an aftermarket headunit without problems. If you have the money I would say replace the headunit and rewire all speakers and if you want subs it will be soooo much easier. I didn't by the piece for my Aurora and couldn't really ever get the sound to work right, I had no fade or balance. All speakers worked the same and I couldn't adjust any levels.

I would like to add a sub or 2 to my car but I was told that if I use the adapter from the speaker wires to get a set of RCA's for the trunk to hook an amp up I could blow everything. If someone has tried this or knows a way to hook up subs to the stock bose system PLEASE let me know also. I don't have the money or time to change out all my wiring.

I hope this helps you man.

well best buy has hooked up the JVC sub box with 3 subs to my fathers 99 denali with stock bose speakers and deck.

Big Caddy Shack when you replaced your system, was it speakers and a deck or just one or the other. On my stepmoms Mazda Milenia a employee for best buy had to bypass the amps on her bose system.

Intheknow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

I would yank the entire stereo and put in a new one from downtown. You will get more bang for your buck. I had a Bose in my Aurora and now the one in the Caddy is great, but if it goes boink, I think I would be money ahead to get a JVC or something like that than I would to try and replace it with a an OEM unit.

Big_Caddy_Shack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just added an Alpine headunit to my Aurora without bypassing and it was crazy. I could hook up one speaker out on the radio to the harness and all the speakers would work. I ran this for about a month with subs off the headunit to an amp and the car died. I think in the long run bypassing would be better.

If you can, try and find out how they added the subs to your fathers car. If they used the adapter that hooks into the +/- of the rear speakers and creates a set of RCA jacks to run into an amp. If this is the case I will do this in a heart beat.

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Big Caddy - In my 00' STS I have the factory nav unit w/ Bose. I added an amp and 2 subs about 2 years ago. I believe the place that installed it, used an adapter that spiced the bose wiring into a set of RCA's. The sub control is limited to my Bass Boost control from the amp. But with the sound options I have on my Bose NAV I can make it sound great. Only issue is I sometimes get backround noise of some sort if I have my Bass Boost up to high. But thats only when either turning the car on or changing sound sources. The audio place turned something down on the adapter which helped out. I am very happy with my Bose system. If some parts happened to conk out on my Id replace OEM.. I plan on putting a new DVD/Nav unit in sometime. But not one of those pop out ones.

MacK

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

I dont think you can just yank the Bose especially if it is the class 2 data bus "daisy chain" You whould have to retain the stock unit at least in trunk. Maybe the earlier BOse was different though.

This would get so much more feedback in the infotainment forum. (Are they still calling it that?)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.