87 Eldorado: Keep or Sell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 87 Eldorado: Keep or Sell in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2 years ago I inherited a 1987 Eldorado with 34,000 miles on it. I have driven it 12,000 miles. I ...
    PeteC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

87 Eldorado: Keep or Sell

2 years ago I inherited a 1987 Eldorado with 34,000 miles on it. I have driven it 12,000 miles. I have replaced the cooling fan control module, water pump, air pump, brakes, tran fluid, plugs and wires. I put the GM coolant sealant in when I changed the water pump and coolant. I change oil every 3000.

Car runs good but gas mileage not the best (16.5 mpg).

I am contemplating selling the car because everything is working right now. I am concerned something major will break over the next few years, like the computer, engine or transmission.

How reliable can I expect this car to be if it is maintained? Or are these cars known to self destruct at this age?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fullserviceman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 87 Eldorado: Keep or Sell

My opinion is extremely clouded, hers why I was given an 88 eldorado by a family member last year. Had 125,000 miles on it. I knew it would need a gas tank. I bought the gas tank and all four struts off ebay for $600 I took it to the shop and said here ya go just fix it. Well they did, $2500 later I picked it up, new brake lines, new fuel lines, new air ride components, parking brake, tie rod ends. Ok I will never say just do it ever again. I drive the car for 3 days and the tranny is slipping until its toast. $1600 for a rebuild installed. In addition to a air temp. module and thermostat $120. Thank god it had new tires when i got it. the car now has 130,000 miles on it and the brakes got loud. Sure enough it needed calipers, pads, and 2 rotors up front, $300 plus my time. drove it the other night and shiftcable broke so I only had reverse luckily its warranteed from the tranny shop including towing. Now I have over $5000 into a car that I could easily get $800 wow! I know im stupid at this point. I read the service records for it, my Aunt bought it at valley cadillac in 1991 and she replaced numerous items including front seats, radiator, water pump, a/c pump. So I see someone with a 1986-1990 eldorado and they think about selling it Im like get out while the gettings good. Granted they cant all be as awful cars as the 1 I have but my opinion is clouded as i say. I have a brand new caddy worth maybe $1000?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.