Tinting question and a couple others
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Tinting question and a couple others in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 99 STS with 77k outright for $8700 which I thought was a bargain. I'm going to ...
    99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Tinting question and a couple others

I just bought a 99 STS with 77k outright for $8700 which I thought was a bargain. I'm going to be tinting the windows Monday, as well as having some brand new 20" TIS wheels put on Wednesday. The guy was trying to talk me into 20% but I was thinking 35%. I want the tint to be visible, but not block any views. I just want some more color added to the windows. Which would you all suggest?

Also around the dome light area, there is a gap at the very tip of it, maybe for a garage door opener or something. I am not sure what it is. Any ideas? It's just an empty little space.

How do these transmissions hold up? I had a 97 with 114k and it still shifted beautifully, but I just wonder how much they can take. I'll admit to giving it hell every now and then. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Tinting question and a couple others

If what you are talking about is a spring loaded flap door by the dome light switch, yeah that is for a Cadillac garage door opener.

Tranies hold up quite well from what I understand. Just change (don't flush) the trans fluid at about 100K.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The transmissions are durable. However, My 95 STS (110,000 miles) just went in for a Input Speed Sensor repair(transmission). Upon removal we find other worn items to validate an overhaul. Torq converter will be replaced as well as all other sensors and pins. The replacement parts have been redesigned and updated for better longjevity. I don't know what improvements were made in the tranny year to year. Our car had no REAL signs of a transmission problem except for the speed sensor code. The car was maintained from the original owner (we bought from) religiously and well taken care of.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Find out what the legal tint level is in your area. You don't want to have to remove it to avoid getting a ticket.
    I was disappointed with the effect tinting had at night when bright lights hit it. Almost a prismatic, rainbow effect and this was not a cheap installation. Also it will not suck up close to anthing on the glass like defroster lines or those black dotted areas.

99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers. That's good to know about the transmissions, as all other automatics I have had all had problems, with the exception of my GM cars. As for the tinting, the cops let people get away with 5% usually here, but the legal limit is 27%.

EcSTSatic, would you say it caused a worse effect than before when they weren't tinted? Also, what percentage did you have them put on?

madooch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

i put 20% on my 02 STS it looks good

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by 99esteees
    EcSTSatic, would you say it caused a worse effect than before when they weren't tinted? Also, what percentage did you have them put on?
    I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it. The stuff is fine during the day. It just took some getting used to looking out the rear view mirrow at night. Certainly not as clear around the defrost lines as without the film.
    The good side is it doesn't get as hot inside the car and it reduces fading. I'm not sure what percentage mine was. This was my '88 TurboCoupe. My STS doesn't have it.
    Oh, and they also cracked the weatherstripping near my door glass when they pulled it back to install the film. That probably only happens on older cars though where the rubber is older and less pliable. If I was to do it again on an older car I would remove the door panels so they could run the film lower. They do it so the film doesn't snag on the weatherstripping when the window is lowered. I removed the rear deck so they could get between the 3rd brake light and the glass.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.