Voltage Inverters ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Voltage Inverters ?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello -- New to the Board -- Thanks for Reading Is anyone familiar with the Voltage inverters that plug into ...
    Mikes99STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Voltage Inverters ??

Hello -- New to the Board -- Thanks for Reading

Is anyone familiar with the Voltage inverters that plug into the Lighter - Power plug -- Changes 12Volt to 110 Volt -- Low Wattage -- 350W Max.
    I want to Recharge Computer Laptop battery -- Camera battery - Phone Battery Etc. I just plug my 110 V home chargers into the inverter. Works Great and trouble Free on my Prehistoric 1992 Suburban but I was hesitant to use in on this car with so much gagetry / computers / etc etc.

Is this acceptable for 99 Seville STS -- ??

Is anyone else using one with success or Problems ?

I just replaced the Ignition switch in the car -- it would just die at Random times. Then not for days and never at the Dealership. It took them 3 weeks to get it to do it when near a diagnostic machine. Just dont want to chance anymore electrical problems.

Thanks -- I appreciate your Input.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

Re: Voltage Inverters ??

Why hesitate? Plug it in! Blow it up, why don't you?

No, seriously, I use a little pocket sized 75 watt one all the time on both a 1997 Eldorado and a 1999 7 series BMW which is far more complicated electronically than the Cadillacs are. I've used a 400 before on my last Cadillac.

The worst thing that could happen is that you could blow the fuse for your cigarette lighter. I think it's 20 amps though. Just remember not to load it beyond 150 or 200 watts plugged into a lighter socket. The documentation from the inverter generally mentions that.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

I will agree with Zorb... I have used that sort of thing in all my rides with no problems.

Zorb is right on when he says the worst thing you can do is blow the fuse for the cigarette lighter. Resist the tempatation to go to a larger fuse in that event.....

However, fair warning, don't forget to unplug whatever is plugged in there.... leaving it on overnight can suck your battery dry.....

Newer Cadillacs may have changed, but my 97 ETC has a live cigarette lighter all the time....

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I have a 300W DC/AC Inverter for my laptop. I have never had a problem. Last summer when I drove the car to Colorado from Michigan I had it on the whole time since my Microsoft MapPoint direction software was running off of the laptop. Worked great! However, none of my inverters have ever liked being on when I started the car. they squeal, so i turn them off when starting the car also.

I was also playing my mp3s on the laptop throught the car stereo with a tape adaptor.

and yes. unplug it or switch it off when the car is off

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

275 watts / 14.0 volts(Engine running) = 19.6 amps. Fuses protect wiring not equipment.I suggest nothing more than 275 watts.Maybe the owners manual mentions something.Just my 2 cents.

Mikes99STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks All --

THe Documentation with it almost seem more for a 80's Dodge Pickup with Rubber Floor Mats - roll up Windows - AM radio. But, I figured I must not be the only guy out there needing to do this.

Thank you SIAMETARQ for Mentioning the Squeal -- that would have done it for me.

My 99STS has a 10 Minute shut down of anything electrical. If you wanted to leave the Inverter/charger Going you have to go out and open the door every 10 minutes.

Thanks for the help --

Mike

My 1997 shuts power off too... I've never had a battery run down by interter. I bought my little one because when I got a telephone I used to have, the car charger was $39, available only from Sprint (aftermarket came out 2 or 3 months later), and I was unwilling to buy it for that price. The 75w inverter was $24.95 and gets used a LOT. Computer, phone, little things like that.

The squeal is because the voltage drops - it's a battery alarm, but only full size inverters do that. the little one just shuts off for 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mramazingman
    275 watts / 14.0 volts(Engine running) = 19.6 amps. Fuses protect wiring not equipment.I suggest nothing more than 275 watts.Maybe the owners manual mentions something.Just my 2 cents.
    All things being equal, I would agree. However, inverters aren't very efficient. Have you noticed how much heat some of the fanless ones generate? My 400 when loaded to 150 (has digital display) blows some fairly warm air out of it after 20 minutes or so. There's a lot of loss to heat, and to circuit inefficiency. Remember that. The manual from my inverter gave a table of watts load @ 120 VAC relative to watts and amps drawn by inverter at 12 VDC, explaining these facts. I just don't have it here. If I find it in the next couple days, I will let you know. I remember that the efficiencies worked out to be around 70%.

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

Hey ZORB750, with all the modern gadgets that people use in their cars I wonder if any automakers have inverters as optional equipment?

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Hey ZORB750, with all the modern gadgets that people use in their cars I wonder if any automakers have inverters as optional equipment?
    Yes, some cars do have a 120VAC as an option. The Pontiac Vibe has one. A co-worker of mine had the car with that option.

Yes, and a lot of hybrids have it included with no special order. GM's trucks have a huge inverter system, I believe good for 20 amps 120V ( )! Outlets are inside and out, so you can run power equipment too. You could run a circular saw or a pretty good sized drill off of that thing!

I know what I'm going to be using that thing for if I get one...

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

My minivan (shut up) came with a 120V power outlet in the back standard. You turn it on with a switch in the dash. Right next to the outlet are A/V inputs for the LCD screen. I guess the implication is that you could plug in a PlayStation or something there.

On inverters: I have had a couple that don't work with my laptop charger but they worked with other things. I don't know why, but it seems to be related to price. The cheaper ones would not power the laptops but they would power a portable TV. YMMV.

Jim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.