2002 STS starting problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2002 STS starting problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2002 STS . I bought it in July '05. It had 47,000 miles on it. It too ...
    jjfahn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy 2002 STS starting problem

I have a 2002 STS. I bought it in July '05. It had 47,000 miles on it. It too has some vibration at 65+ but I can live with it. The problem that just started two weeks ago is....I had it at the airport while I was in Detroit for some Super Bowl stuff. I got to the car after it was parked for three days and it wouldn't start. The lights worked strong, the bells were ringing just like normal but when I turned the key to start, the lights go off (like normal) but there is nothing. Not even a 'clicking'. I had it towed to the Caddy dealer and they replaced the battery (even though I told them the battery seemed fine). So it worked for about a week and a half and the same thing happed after it was parked in the garage overnight. Then the damndest thing happened, the next day I thought I would give it another try and it fired right up. So now I am afraid to take the car anywhere that I have to park because I may have to get it towed again. By the way, jumping did nothing. I tried that twice. Anyone familiar with this problem? Thanks.

Jim with Christine

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

Re: 2002 STS starting problem

Did the stealership test the battery??? I would start with a possible failing ignition switch...Any codes? I don't have an electrical schematic for your car but there also may be a relay involved.Pull the codes and see what the car is telling you.

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

Almost forgot.. Have your tires road force balanced at a shop that has a HUNTER9700 you shouldn't have to live with vibrations on a $50k automobile.

onecad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i had this same problem in my eldorado, it was intermittent, one day it would start, one day it wouldnt....turned out my cables needed to be cleaned.and i had replaced the battery a month before thinking i had a problem with it and it turned out to be the starter. Had I cleaned the terminals at that time I would had been fine. Hence if the place who replaced your battery didnt do this, it prolly would had worked fine for a short time since taking the terminals off and putting back on would have cleaned them a tiny bit. If they are clean, I would make sure that they are not broken somewhere, or loose at the other end.
    -O

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.