Window Problem Heeeelp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Window Problem Heeeelp in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, the driver window on my 97 eldorado wont go up or down... at first i put it down then ...
    da17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Window Problem Heeeelp

Hello,
    the driver window on my 97 eldorado wont go up or down...
    at first i put it down then up, when it reaches the top i hear a grinding sound.. i tried to pull it up and down continously and then it stopped working.. im sure the switch is fine.. could it be the motor? could it just be out of place? i did play with the window a little to see if it was.. how much is the motor for the window.. and anyone know how to replace it if that is the problem... thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Window Problem Heeeelp

sometimes the switches go bad, but likely its either the motor or regulator.

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Id go with the regulator. Had a few go on me but were covered under warranty. Grinding sound is what I heard. But I wouldnt mess with it too much. I did that and then the window just fell and had to be taped up untill it was fixed.

MacK

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

That grinding sound is likely a stripped gear drive in the motor/ drive combo. Easy repair after you get the door panel off. Lube the regulator before reassembly in case a binding regulator was the cause of the gears stripping. You can get them on Ebay for a reasonable price or you can buy from the dealer for about triple. Your call. You'll need a manual. The much and fairly criticized Chilton manual actually does a good job with this.
    BTDT
    FWIW
    YMMV

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.