92 Seville digital cluster burned out???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92 Seville digital cluster burned out??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anybody know if a cluster can burn out? If so, does the whole thing go, including the climate control screen ...
    19seville92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

92 Seville digital cluster burned out???

Anybody know if a cluster can burn out?
    If so, does the whole thing go, including the climate control screen and info screen??
    Other lights still work such as brake, supplemental restraint, service engine soon etc...
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: 92 Seville digital cluster burned out???

Quote Originally Posted by 19seville92
    Anybody know if a cluster can burn out?
    If so, does the whole thing go, including the climate control screen and info screen??
    Other lights still work such as brake, supplemental restraint, service engine soon etc...
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
    If everything that has a digital interface is dimming, then you likely have a bad twilight sentinel switch (TS). A bad TS won't effect the red and yellow 'idiot' lights (you're not an idiot, that's what they're called), it just effects the digital display and the background lights on the aforementioned equiptment.

19seville92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Would the headlight switch idea still hold true if the display is black all the time, lights on or off. I mean, it is, black...

Quote Originally Posted by 19seville92
    Would the headlight switch idea still hold true if the display is black all the time, lights on or off. I mean, it is, black...
    I don't understand what you mean here??? If you mean will the headlights still work, just turn them on and see if there is light. It's just that the twilight switch on these cars have been known to go bad (or at least in my experience) and play havoc on the interior digital clusters and such. Just think, when you turn the little knob to the 'darker' selection, it will dim all of the lights except the 'idiot' lights. If that malfunctions, you'll experience what you have been with the blackouts of your lights and such...But yes, the headlights should still work...

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    Just think, when you turn the little knob to the 'darker' selection, it will dim all of the lights except the 'idiot' lights. If that malfunctions, you'll experience what you have been with the blackouts of your lights and such...But yes, the headlights should still work...
    If your radio illuminates and dims properly when you turn the knob, I think you can assume the headlamp switch is good.

Regards,
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ
    If your radio illuminates and dims properly when you turn the knob, I think you can assume the headlamp switch is good.

Regards,
    Warren
    Umm...If I have my switches configured correctly, the '92 Seville still has the headlight switch integrated into the twilight sentinel switch. Therefore, yes the headlight switch may still be good, but there might be short in the dimmer switch. If that turns out to be the case, then the switch will need to be repaired/replaced as a whole unit.

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    . . . . yes the headlight switch may still be good, but there might be short in the dimmer switch. If that turns out to be the case, then the switch will need to be repaired/replaced as a whole unit.
    Of course the switch would have to be replaced as an entire assembly if *any* part of it is bad. I was simply trying to suggest a quick way of determining if the dimmer part of the ass'y is good.

Regards,
    Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.