Passenger-side low beam headlight won't come on in a 1998 Seville STS!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Passenger-side low beam headlight won't come on in a 1998 Seville STS! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm getting tired of turning on my right signal light only to hear a fast clicking signal and see a ...
    STSOnly is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Passenger-side low beam headlight won't come on in a 1998 Seville STS!

I'm getting tired of turning on my right signal light only to hear a fast clicking signal and see a non-flashing, steady right arrow, indicating that my passenger-side headlight is out, so I checked it out. I've tried a couple things, even though the bulb is good. First, I exchanged the driver-side low beam bulb with that of the passenger-side and put it in the driver-side low beam. It worked for the driver-side with no problems. I also switched the bulbs around and it worked again in the driver-side headlight, so the bulb isn't the problem. The bulb is brand new and not blown, but I tried it anyway. Both bulbs don't wprk in the passnger-side.

Next, I checked the low beam passenger-side fuse under the hood fuse box and it was good. Still, I traded the low beam driver-side fuse with that of the passenger side fuse, and it worked for the driver-side, but not the passenger-side. I even bought a brand new fuse for the passenger-side and it still didn't solve the problem. What else can it be???? All the other bulbs function correctly in the passenger-side headlight. The only light that doesn't come on in the passenger-side headlight is the low beam. Fuse is good. Bulb is good. Has anyone else had this problem??? Does anyone know what I can do next??? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Passenger-side low beam headlight won't come on in a 1998 Seville STS!

cut the wires and just splice into the wires on the good side. if anything it will at least get the headlight to come back on.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check the connector and wiggle the wires. Might just be a dirty or loose connection.

Trench is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacETC1997
    cut the wires and just splice into the wires on the good side. if anything it will at least get the headlight to come back on.

That may not be a good idea if the car has DRL. I was reading a schematic for the DRL on cadillacs and it appears the DRL are ran through a series. Running in parallel may cause an issue.

Not to mention it's only patching the problem. Risks overloading the other sides wiring, too.

I would explain more, but my fingers are killing me.... MY CAR BATTERY JUST DIED!..anyway. BAh

Dustin

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by STSOnly
    I'm getting tired of turning on my right signal light only to hear a fast clicking signal and see a non-flashing, steady right arrow, indicating that my passenger-side headlight is out, so I checked it out....
    Am I the only one having trouble 'seeing' the connection between turn signals and headlamps???

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

Have you checked for voltage with a meter? could be wiring harness like ranger mentioned. You can always skin a very small section of the wires (1/8th inch) behind the connector and check for voltage.I have had connectors/harnesses that "look" good but were bad. you can cover the nick in the wire with silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Am I the only one having trouble 'seeing' the connection between turn signals and headlamps???
    No. I kind of scratched my head on that one too.

Problem solved. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    No. I kind of scratched my head on that one too.

Here's the connection:
    I was wondering why whenever I turned my right signal light on to make a right turn, it clicked fast and the right arrow was steadily lit instead of flashing like it should. Well, I checked out the owners manual and found out that whenever the right turn signal arrow is on steadily, that means that your right head light is out. If you remove your low beam right fuse and turn on your right signal light, you will encounter the same.

At any rate, thanks Ranger and everybody else that helped out.
    I fixed the headlight. The problem was the plug in the pic that I have attached. I bent it back in place and when I connected the headlight plug to the car plug and turned on the headlights, the right headlight was working properly as it should and I don't have to worry about the steadily lit right turn signal arrow and fast clicking right turn signal noise as well. Thanks again everybody. This site is always the most helpful!

Re: Problem solved. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the connection:
    I was wondering why whenever I turned my right signal light on to make a right turn, it clicked fast and the right arrow was steadily lit instead of flashing like it should. Well, I checked out the owners manual and found out that whenever the right turn signal arrow is on steadily, that means that your right head light is out. If you remove your low beam right fuse and turn on your right signal light, you will encounter the same.
    Hmm, I never knew that. You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Here's the connection:
    I was wondering why whenever I turned my right signal light on to make a right turn, it clicked fast and the right arrow was steadily lit instead of flashing like it should. Well, I checked out the owners manual....
    What is the page number??

mramazingman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.

I think I'm going to re-read my owners manual again.JIMD was onto the problem,glad it was an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    What is the page number??
    Does this mean that you don't believe me lol??? Look at the pics.

It's on page 2-33 (1998 Seville owner's manual).

Hell, I might as well cover everyone else as well.
    If you own a 1999 Seville, it's on page 2-36
    If you own a 2001 Seville, it's on page 2-39
    If you own a 2003 or 2004 Seville, it's on page 3-9

If you own a 2004 Cadillac SRX, it's on page 3-8

Other years and models, just look under 'turn signals' or 'signals' in the back of your owner's manual.

Obviously, a lot of people didn't know about this. Don't feel bad because I didn't know either until it happened to me and I consulted the owner's manual. Like Ranger said, you learn something new every day.

Here a pic out of my 1998 Seville manual!

Here's another pic!

Page 2-33 in my Owner's Manual talks about turn signal arrows that flash rapidly 'may be' caused by a burned-out signal bulb. Turn signal systems using a rapid flash as a warning for bulb failure is not new technology.

I'm still looking for the connection between rapidly flashing turn signal arrows and headlamps. My education is not complete.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.