Im a nerd... I just sat in my car for half an hour with no good reason...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Im a nerd... I just sat in my car for half an hour with no good reason... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; lol. I recently sold my video Ipod and decided I still wanted something cheap to listen to MP3s on for ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Im a nerd... I just sat in my car for half an hour with no good reason...

lol.

I recently sold my video Ipod and decided I still wanted something cheap to listen to MP3s on for the time being til I got another hard drive device. Someone gave me a 60.00 best buy gift card So in the past 4 days Ive been through a total of three different MP3 Capable CD players, and almost got a flash memory player.

First I had a Philips EXP2461 which was ok, but had a loud annoying beep at each keypress, insufficient bass without the boomy "DBB" turned on and the buttons were on top which prevented easy mounting. $42.99

Then I exchanged that for a Sony D-NE005. Bar-none WORST CD player I have EVER heard. No lows, no highs, NADA. The Mega Bass made it even worse, but it was nice because the buttons were along the edge so I can push it down between the passenger seat and center console and control it and see the display. It had the SLOWEST load time Ive EVER seen though. $39.99

I had nearly given up and then I decided to go for the el-cheapo one I overlooked before due to its apparent cheap appearance. The Panasonic SX470. WOOOW!! When combined with the Bose 4.0 Audio System via a cheap cassette adapter it was quite possibly the best car audio Ive EVER heard from a factory system short of using the systems own CD player. And really it was still better because S-XBS setting 1 also enhances the mids and highs somewhat. It ALSO had the advantage of being able to slide right in between the seats and still be controlled from the edges. The ONLY downside is it is literally SO cheap, it doesnt even have a DC input jack. Fortunately it goes 75 hours between batteries on MP3. $29.99

Bottom line, the Bose 4.0 Audio System in my Seville is one of the BEST IVE EVER heard. Honestly, even the Mark Levinson in my old LS430 did NOT compare. The soft touch design of the material the center console is made out of, and the generous space between the climate control and radio headunit makes it EASY to pop a cassette adapter in and hide the wire from view completely. I love this! I was going to try to hijack the stock CD Changer, but the truth is it sounds PLENTY good with the cassette solution as it is. Dont waste time with those FM Transmitters, they are trash!

If you're looking at a 98+ SLS or STS, do yourself a favor and get the Bose optioned car if at all possible, youll really miss out with the base system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rfishing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Im a nerd... I just sat in my car for half an hour with no good reason...

I can relate. In my younger days, I spent entire nights in my Olds 98 listening to music. It was snowing out one night, i let engine run every now and then just to keep warm. Good tunes, great audio, and really comfortable seats. I drove that car for 3 years back and forth from New Jersey to the Submarine base in Connecticutt every weekend to party with my family and friends at home. Good ole days.

bobkat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Sedan deVille, 1997 Sedan deVille

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Bottom line, the Bose 4.0 Audio System in my Seville is one of the BEST IVE EVER heard.
    I agree. Until you've heard a car equipped with a properly designed BOSE system you don't know what you're missing. Lots of folks poo-poo BOSE; they're the same folks who fill up their trunks with 15" subs and irritate the shit out of you at traffic lights - especially the ricers.

Honestly though, sometimes when I'm listening to the BOSE in my '88 deVille and I hear the old R&R songs I grew up with but never knew the lyrics -- suddenly the lyrics are crystal clear. I think... "Is that how that song went... hmmm." That tells you a HUGE amount of R & D went into BOSE products. When I was installing the BOSE in my '88 the GM tech told me to make sure to adjust the head unit for the upholstery material - cloth or leather - as the each absorbs sounds differently. Apparently there's a little jumper pin inside the radio to make this adjustment. I was too lazy to check but it sounds good with the cloth interior of my car. You should read the story of Dr. Amar (sp?) Bose - founder of BOSE Corp. Good reading.

beemer2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I guess my 96 STS didn't have a properly designed Bose system. Is there a different one that comes from the factory? I hated the way the highs were never high enough and the lows were mellow until you got above halfway... and the distortion at volume was annoying as hell. So I ripped the whole system out of my car and replaced it with Pioneer and put an amp in. A royal pain in the ass, but the best improvement I've made to my car by far. I'm not trying to overhype pioneer, mind you, there are better brands out there, but at least I can adjust the sound to my liking. I didn't put a kicker in the back, the amp pushes enough power through the doors and rears to satisfy ME, not the neighborhood.

IMHO Bose is the best in the business at their pricepoint in home audio. No doubt about it. They should have stayed away from my STS, though.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer2k
    IMHO Bose is the best in the business at their pricepoint in home audio. No doubt about it. They should have stayed away from my STS, though.
    Whats funny is that I believe the complete opposite. I think Bose is really completely overhyped when it comes to home audio products except for maaayybe their 901 Loudspeaker that generated so much buzz back in the day. HOWEVER, where their experience pushing sound out of small spaces SHINES of course IS in car audio.

I honestly think it varies car to car. You have to remember the 96 STS Bose system was completely different than the Bose 4.0 in the 98 and up models, which featured an 11 inch sub in the rear deck which helps a great deal and a trio of mid and high range drivers in the dash and doors. All of this comes together to make a spectacular sounding car audio system. Nevertheless, get in a QX4 or Pathfinder, and the Bose system there is weak and underpowered.

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

The Bose in my Seville wasn't all that great stock. A little bit of insulating and some tweeters made it better. Where Bose screwed up was in the lack of high range, which they fixed in 98, and only 2 6x9's in a pretty big car. My friends Infinity J30 has the exact same bose speakers, but with pillar mounted Bose tweeters, sounded soooo much better than my Seville. Bose should have designed the system like this.

2 - 6x9's in the rear
    2 - 5.25's in the rear doors
    2 - 3-1/4's in the front doors
    2 - Tweeters in the pillars.

Hell, even my Mark VIII has 8 speakers, though they are nowhere near the quality of the Bose.

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

I have to agree with you there. All types of music sound great. I listen to every range of music between my wife and I and our 18 year old daughter, all sound great. I spent about $2200 on my Ram for JL and Alpine and still don't feel the quality of the Bose sound in the STS.

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

I'll sit in my Caddy with the radio off just to do it. I love the car that much and I smile everytime I look at it. You know a car is right for you when you walk away from it, and each time you look back at it with pride. She may be 14 now but she is near mint and I care for her every need. She even has the factory radio but I do have a Sirius device. It's like cable - 200 channels and nothing on.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

i dont think theres anything wrong with subwoofer systems, as a matter of fact, i plan on putting a couple of tens in the trunk of my deville, to round out the frequency's, i want to feel the bass but not so much so that my car rattles if that makes sense. basically i want home theater bass in my car

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO
    i dont think theres anything wrong with subwoofer systems, as a matter of fact, i plan on putting a couple of tens in the trunk of my deville, to round out the frequency's, i want to feel the bass but not so much so that my car rattles if that makes sense. basically i want home theater bass in my car
    Ya, theres nothin wrong with that at all. If I hear a sub I really like I might still add to the factory system to fill in even more low end. Its just when everyone outside hears it it gets kind of obnoxious.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I guess the 4.0 system made a big difference then, my 95 ETC with the same Bose system as the Sevilles isn't BAD but it's far from great. Will be keeping this in mind whenever my parents decide to buy a newer car...

the727kid is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Dooman
    I have to agree with you there. All types of music sound great. I listen to every range of music between my wife and I and our 18 year old daughter, all sound great. I spent about $2200 on my Ram for JL and Alpine and still don't feel the quality of the Bose sound in the STS.

You must not know much about car audio. If you spent $2200 on speakers and you can't beat the sound you got ripped. I put Infinity Kappa Perfects 5.25s and Infinity Kappa 6x9s in my car, and off the head unit (22watts to each speaker) it gets just as loud and crisp as the Bose in the 01 sevilles. I don't even have an amp on it....they speakers want about 110 watts and they are getting 22 and keeping up with it. My amp is coming in the next few weeks. Also I only paid $300 for all 4 (retail around $1000) and the amp I'm getting is going to be about $500 (JL Audio 450/4)

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

I wish my car had the Bose option When my dad had his Seville a couple years ago, it had the Bose system. It even made AM radio sound good. My factory system still sounds pretty nice, especially through my ipod with the casette adapter with the MP3s at 128kbps. I have a Belkin itrip FM transmitter also, and it sounds NOWHERE as nice as the tape adapter. It's always picking up static, and I always have to change the frequency when I go out of my town. I like to use it in my house and garage though, it's more useful there than in the car.

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    lol.

I recently sold my video Ipod and decided I still wanted something cheap to listen to MP3s on for the time being til I got another hard drive device. Someone gave me a 60.00 best buy gift card So in the past 4 days Ive been through a total of three different MP3 Capable CD players, and almost got a flash memory player.

First I had a Philips EXP2461 which was ok, but had a loud annoying beep at each keypress, insufficient bass without the boomy "DBB" turned on and the buttons were on top which prevented easy mounting. $42.99

Then I exchanged that for a Sony D-NE005. Bar-none WORST CD player I have EVER heard. No lows, no highs, NADA. The Mega Bass made it even worse, but it was nice because the buttons were along the edge so I can push it down between the passenger seat and center console and control it and see the display. It had the SLOWEST load time Ive EVER seen though. $39.99

I had nearly given up and then I decided to go for the el-cheapo one I overlooked before due to its apparent cheap appearance. The Panasonic SX470. WOOOW!! When combined with the Bose 4.0 Audio System via a cheap cassette adapter it was quite possibly the best car audio Ive EVER heard from a factory system short of using the systems own CD player. And really it was still better because S-XBS setting 1 also enhances the mids and highs somewhat. It ALSO had the advantage of being able to slide right in between the seats and still be controlled from the edges. The ONLY downside is it is literally SO cheap, it doesnt even have a DC input jack. Fortunately it goes 75 hours between batteries on MP3. $29.99

Bottom line, the Bose 4.0 Audio System in my Seville is one of the BEST IVE EVER heard. Honestly, even the Mark Levinson in my old LS430 did NOT compare. The soft touch design of the material the center console is made out of, and the generous space between the climate control and radio headunit makes it EASY to pop a cassette adapter in and hide the wire from view completely. I love this! I was going to try to hijack the stock CD Changer, but the truth is it sounds PLENTY good with the cassette solution as it is. Dont waste time with those FM Transmitters, they are trash!

If you're looking at a 98+ SLS or STS, do yourself a favor and get the Bose optioned car if at all possible, youll really miss out with the base system.
    I see the car is for sale? That a new development?

breedmn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the bose system in my 97 sts sucks. the bass peaks at like half volume power. i dont know if my speakers are shity,(they do say bose) or just old. i would expect more form the one of the most expensive brands of audio equipment. any how i was told that it was like 800 dollars to put in a cd deck in my caddy plus the deck from the stealership. i highly doubt it but give the bennifit of doubt. any one got any advice on going abouts this? or simply better speakers to install other then the stock ones?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.