Driver-side headlight and rear view mirror question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Driver-side headlight and rear view mirror question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my 1989 Eldo, the driver-side headlight lens (not seal beam) is cracked in the middle and I believe it ...
    Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

Driver-side headlight and rear view mirror question

On my 1989 Eldo, the driver-side headlight lens (not seal beam) is cracked in the middle and I believe it will need to be replaced to pass inspection, even though the light still works OK. Actually, the crack is more like a small bb sized hole that can allow moisture to enter. My question is: Can only the lens be replaced - or does the entire headlight assembly need replacing because it's a complete unit? If it were legal, I'd prefer just to fill in the hole with a clear substance that would hold.

And second problem: The driver-side outside remote adjustible rear view mirror has a crack in the middle running from top to bottom creating a slight distortion in the rearward view. Can (and will) the dealer just glue a replacement mirror onto the old cracked mirror, or must the entire mirror frame be removed from the side of the car to effect the replacement?

Obviously, I'm trying to keep the repair costs to minimums, while staying legal. So would appreciate your comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donwon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Re: Driver-side headlight and rear view mirror question

The outside mirrow on my 89 Seville are heated, I don't know if that would make it harder or more costly to replace.
    Might could find a headlight lense at a junkyard.

Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

Re: Driver-side headlight and rear view mirror question

A little research revealed that exact replacement mirrors can be purchased for $12-$25, depending on which side (convex on right side), and that they can either be adhesed over the old mirror, or just break out the old and glue in the new. I'd opt for the latter so that the heating feature isn't compromised. I'll probably have to be careful protecting the heating element so that the new mirror continues that feature.

On the headlight lens with a bb size hole in it, I think I'll have the guy who repairs windshield rock chips just fill in the hole and smooth it down. Should only cost $25, but ought to be done on a warm day with no moisture in the atmosphere so that there's no traped condensation inside. This will sure beat paying $225 plus labor to Cadillac for a complete assembly since lenses are not sold separately and can't even be removed.

Both of these somewhat unorthadox procedures will solve the problems, cost very little, and satisfy state safety inspection requirements.

Hey guys! Have I beat the system, or what?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.