Couple questions on the bose gold series stereo.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Couple questions on the bose gold series stereo. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone.I have the bose gold system in my 1993 seville. I was wondering if I could get aftermarket speakers ...
    whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Couple questions on the bose gold series stereo.

Hi everyone.I have the bose gold system in my 1993 seville.

I was wondering if I could get aftermarket speakers and keep the stock amps and head unit.

I really dont want to replace the hed unit because I think you have to by pass the amps to each speaker.(this had to be done to my stepmoms mazda milenia eith the bose system).

1) can I get new aftermarket speakers and still keep everything else stock.

2) about the front speakers what can go in there.How bout the back.

3) about the back speakers how do they come out.I think the seat has to come out so how do I do this.

4) I dont think the system hits like it should so what can cause this.I replaced the front speakers with another set of bose ones from an infiniti so it sounds some what better.

5)Where are all the amps.

Thank you for yor help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bobkat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Sedan deVille, 1997 Sedan deVille

Re: Couple questions on the bose gold series stereo.

Not sure about the '93 Seville but when I installed a Bose - Gold Series stereo system in my '88 deVille here's what I noticed:

1) Front speakers are in the doors - the speaker (single driver) is built into this enclosure box that is custom made to fit the door cavity. Amp is built into the enclosure. Speaker grilles (color matched to interior) snap onto the face of the enclosure.

2) Rear speakers are 6" X 9" single drivers with amp attached to them; they reside on the rear parcel shelf; getting at them required the removal of the rear seat back assembly.

3) Wiring to all 4 speakers is 4-conductor; +12V / GND / +AF / -AF. That's because you need power to driver each amplifier on each speaker. Had to run all new 4-conductor wires from the head unit to each speaker (basically ripped the whole car apart) because the stock radio only had 2-conductor wiring to the speakers.

4) The BOSE radio I bought came from a wrecked '89 deVille and, of course, wiring changes were made from the '88 to '89 model year; so I had to re-run all new power cables from the fuse block to the radio (16 gage was switched to 14 gage in '89 - God only knows why... its not like a radio is a current sucking device...).

So, no, you can't use after market speakers with the Bose Gold head unit because it has no built-in amplifier; plus the Bose speakers operate at 1 to 2 ohms which is an extremely low impedance. Typical after market speakers are 4 ohms.

Hope this helps.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

if you wanted to keep your bose you can replace the speaks but you MUST have them run off the stock bose amps and you MUST use infinity kappa (NOT REFRENCE!!!!) because the New Kappas can be wired to run a 2 ohms

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

You don't HAVE to use the Kapaas, it would sound alot better, but they are not necessary. The fronts are a creepy 3.5 triangle mount and the rears are 6x9. Yes, you have to take the rear seat out in order to get to the 6x9's and once you get there, they pop out.

Before upgrading, I would suggest insulating the rear deck, my bass output went up 50-100%. Just put dyno mat, or anything you can come up with under the rear deck on the inside and the trunk side. I used household insulation and some stuffed animal cotton stuffing. It is a cheap and easy mod that gives you a major difference.

whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What is kappas, and where can I get them.

Rob_M is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

Dude, get rid of the crappy bose system in there and get something else. Trust me, you'll be extremely happy! I promise. I put in an Alpine for $200 and Infinity speakers in the doors and the rear $250. Just to repair the speakers it's like $250. Just look for open stock and clearence items at BestBuy or Circut City. It's worth it. It sounds awesome. It doesn't even have a sub and it sounds like it hits..

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

kappas are the better brand of infinity speakers you can get them at circuit city (order) they only carry the reference series in their stores. the reason i say they MUST be kappas due to the ohm difference is that anything else because other speakers run 4 ohms wont sound as loud as your bose ones but they will sound better than your bose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.