1989 Eldo: Clunk when shifting from Park to Reverse
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1989 Eldo: Clunk when shifting from Park to Reverse in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a nice-looking '89 Eldorado Biarritz with only 56k miles, and absolutely everything works well with one exception: ...
    Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

1989 Eldo: Clunk when shifting from Park to Reverse

I just bought a nice-looking '89 Eldorado Biarritz with only 56k miles, and absolutely everything works well with one exception: After starting the car and lettig it warm up, I get a very pronounced "clunk" from the front end (and car jerks) when shifting from Park to Reverse. Going from Neutral to Park is normal with no sounds or jerks. Out on the road, the transmission is very smooth-shifting.

The transmission fluid and filter was replaced 20k miles ago, and the right front axle was changed 4k miles ago.

My thoughts concerning the clunk and jerk problem is that it could be a worn/loose engine mount, or a worn connection between the engine and transmission - kind of like the old drive shaft U joint problem on RWD cars. However, before I take the car into the dealer, I was hoping that you experts would have an opinion.

Thanks in advance for any help, guys.

Jack M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): (his) '98 SLS - 195K 09/2011 - (hers) 2012 Ford Escape

Re: 1989 Eldo: Clunk when shifting from Park to Reverse

my guess would be engine mount as you mentioned also. my 89 deville would clunk on shifts and when i hit the gas from a stop. replaced the mounts, and it went away. hopefully yours is the same.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

With the hood raised, and the car in drive, left foot on brake pedal firmly, goose the throttle lightly, if the mounts are OK, then you'll just see the engine rotate forward. If one is broken, the engine will lift, then clunk back down when off the throttle. The rotation of the engine is forward to back, not left to right like a rear wheel drive car. Common for upper mount bushings to elongate and allow movement, also lower mount by radiator can break.

Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

Thanks, guys. Looks like 2 votes for engine mounts, plus a test to confirm a mount(s) is to blame.

I'll get someone to help on the test, then go on from there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.