How to change Tranmission fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, How to change Tranmission fluid in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Do i drain it from the cooler in the radiator or is there a plug on the bottom of the ...
    SilverSLS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How to change Tranmission fluid

Do i drain it from the cooler in the radiator or is there a plug on the bottom of the transmission. If there is a plug please describe its location..

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: How to change Tranmission fluid

You have to remove the transmission pan. Also on the side case, there's a plug that has to be removed to allow more fluid to drain. Once you get the pan off, you can access the side case plug. It's a easy job to do! I changed the fluid and filters on my 2000 STS a year ago.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Here is a pic of the side case drain plug.

Don

Here is a pic of the side case plug.

Don

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Great pic! And if I remember right, you have to remove that wiring harness that partially covers it to get to the drain plug? I think it's just the one screw that holds it, right?

94greencaddysls is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 sls

I never had too but you may find you do which wouldnt hurt anything

I didn't remove the harness. I had to move it with my finger a little is all.

Don

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    I didn't remove the harness. I had to move it with my finger a little is all.

Don
    Same here.

It sounds as though you have never done this before, silverSLS99. Once the pan is off, there is a rubber magnet (like a refirigerator magnet) in the pan. Remove it and wipe off the mushy paste (clutch plate residue). Wipe out the filmy residue in the pan as well. Use a torque wrench to properly torque the pan back on. Spread lots of newspaper under the car, it will be messy.

SilverSLS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok i found everything ,wiped the magnet,it was a mess...I would guess 8 Qts came out. The specs say it takes 18 qrts..My level indicator said it was fine before. Im changing it because i towed a trailer 2200lbs and it said service tranny on the dash info. I have a cooler and the fluid doesnt smell funny or look different. It did however shift alittle different after this. More like my camaro ss with a high stall.At the time i guess it overheated it was slamming into gear and i let it cool down. It has never acted up again but its just alittle different, its not as smooth as it was. When you come to a stop the RPM's dive then it come back up,i think the converter is engaging alittle too long..

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

There's a procedure, that involves unplugging a cooler line and letting the transmission purge itself into a bucket, as you add new fluid. You stop when it comes out clean. I think it's in the Tech Archive on the main links at the top.

sjpi1954 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Gentlemen,

I just finished changing the transmission fluid and both filters in my '02 SLS. Couldn't have done it without this forum so thanks again, especially to Ranger and CaddyDaddy and the photos of the side sump drain plug. Here's my two cents on the job.

Tools: 3/8" Ratchet with 4" extension and 10mm and 11mm sockets. The only need for the 11mm is the side sump drain plug. See pictures on this thread.

Supplies: I used an old shower curtain and did not leave one drop on the driveway. After the job was done I threw said shower curtain in the garbage. We go through those things about twice a year so...4 old cotton rags/towels. 1-11 quart recycling container. New AC Delco Filters (2) in box. I had 13qts of Dexron III but only used 8 qts. Final quantity remains to be seen but I emptied 9 quarts into my 55/gal drum.

Ramp: I use my drive on ramps but the SLS lower dam will hit it so I cut a 2x12 I had into 2' pieces and used these as drive on ramp assists. They allow you to NOT damage your lower dam by giving you a shallower approach and departure angle. I chose not to jack up the car and use my jack stands. Whatever works best for you.

Note: Discussion on the electrical harness is good. I personally went ahead and removed the 10mm bolt securing the harness in order to get it out of the way. I did NOT use the new gasket. The one on the pan was completely serviceable and of much better quality than the one one in the box. Also, be sure and reset your Transmission Fluid Life back to 100% on the DIC. Bring it up, Hold Reset Button until all 3 XXXs go to 100%. Make your logbook entry.

Cost: Fluid and Filter was $42.

Time: Start to finish including wood cutting was 2.5 hours. I let everything drain completely. No hurry at all. I personally found it easier to loosen up the driver's side bolts first and that corner serve as my drain point. Watch out for the amount of fluid coming out when you unscrew the 11mm side sump plug...Be prepared for a gusher. Eye protection is recommended and I was grateful to be wearing mine. Cleaned pan thoroughly and magnetic mat thoroughly. Test drive was uneventful throughout all gears and speeds. Feels good and shifts smooth. No leaks.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender...

JP

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.