older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am going to sleep so I will check for replies tommorow....
    whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin?

I am going to sleep so I will check for replies tommorow.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unloc

Sorry about that! must have missed your replies. Anyway I studied that diagram for a bit, and its actually a lot more complicated than I thought, due to the progressive unlock. BUT that doesn't mean I havent figured out a way. I need to draw up a diagram for this one though, its a bit much to explain. Should be pretty easy though. (Be ready to grab another relay)

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin?

Davesmed I hooked it up thrugh the parking light relay and all is well, very happy about it.

Theres just one problem that I have, I don't know if I did something wrong but when I out the car in Drive the locks lock and the lights flash. They dont do this when I use the door switch to activate the locks. How can I fix this.

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unloc

Ok, my diagram program (MS Paint) is not happening. So, i'll try describing it.

Leave the diode you installed in place. Cut the wire that goes to pin 85 of the first relay and install a diode so that the silver band is towards the relay. Run another wire off of pin 85 (you can make the connection at the diode when you install it for convenience be sure its on the silver side though)

Take the new wire, and connect it to pin 87 of the new relay. Connect pins 30 and 86 together, and tap them into the orange wire at the module. Cut the gray wire at the module, and install a diode in the car side of the harness with the silver band closest to the module, similar to the first diode you installed but the silver band is oriented differently. Connect the module and pin 85 of the new relay to the module side of the diode (silver band side)

Ok, to take care of the "suprise" Auto door lock issue (apparently Cadillac integrated RKE and auto-locks together...) I changed the above a bit, and added another relay instead of the diode.

Cut the wire from pin 87 of the original relay (the wire that goes to the parking lights relay) Wire one side to pin 30, and the other to pin 87A. Wire pin 86 to ground, and pin 85 gets tapped into the pink and black wire at the RKE module.

Correct operation of everything is: First relay should click whenever the lock, unlock, or illumination buttons are pressed on the remote, or auto locks engage. Second relay should click whenever unlock or illumination are pressed on the remote. Third relay should click whenever the key is turned on.

That should fix everything! (unless you want them to blink with trunk pop too! )

For those curious as to what the hell all those relays and diodes are actually doing, i'll explain.

I'll start with the SECOND relay mentioned above. Cadillac has a neat progressive unlock feature that unlocks the drivers door with one press on the remote, and the rest of the doors on two presses. This is convenient, but doesn't give too good of an output to work with, as the RKE module is in complete control of the drivers door lock motor. This also means that installing any diode in the "all unlock" wire would make the drivers door not unlock with the door mounted switches, as the module monitors this "output" (making it an input too) to trigger the drivers door motor. So theres nothing tied directly to the RKE function there. HOWEVER! Cadillac was nice and installed illuminated entry! The RKE module pulses that output to ground to simulate someone lifting an outside door handle. First, the diode goes in to act as a check valve, so that lifting a outside door handle does not make the parking lights blink. the signal from the RKE module can affect the illumination module and go to the door switches, but the signal from the door switches cannot get past the diode. So, now we can take a wire from this "protected" side, and run it to one side of our relay's coil. This signal is a ground signal, so the other side of the relays coil needs a power source. We want a +12v output as well from the relay for our mod. So, we connect the common terminal of the relays switch and the remaining coil lead to the RKE's battery voltage input. Perfect! When the RKE would turn on the dome lights, our relay clicks too, and the normally open contacts switch to +12v.

On to our next relay, the one that was originally installed (first one mentioned in the last post). This relay is going to trigger the parking lights. The Lock operation of the RKE module is a much simpler operation, one wire for all the locks. No weird input/output stuff, just a straight output. This output is a pulsed+12v, the exact opposite of the illuminated entry output and thats why the first inline diode is oriented differently. The Diode is there for the same reason, to prevent signals from the car from making the lights blink. in the wire coming from the lock side of the RKE module tot e relay, you may have noticed I added a diode. This is because on the other side of THAT diode I connected the output from the above mentioned relay. Without that diode, the +12v from the above relay when the unlock button is pushed would actually flow through to the lock wire of the RKE. So the car will try to simultaneously unlock AND lock itself, causing a paradox and the entire car will immediately disappear into a black hole and show up in an alternate dimension. So, to prevent THAT from happening (because thats no fun) the diode ONLY allows voltage to flow to the relay, not from. Now, the original relay is getting +12v pulses on lock, and unlock! Lets connect this to one side of the relay coil, and the other side to ground. We want our relay to provide us with a grounding output, so lets connect the common terminal to ground too while were at it. Now for the output... We had run this to the parking light relay at first, but that leads me to....

The LAST relay! Apparently the auto lock pulse comes right from the RKE module, just like if you pushed the button. Crap, how do i make the blinking lights tell the difference?? Ah hah! It only does this with the ignition on! (well that makes sense) So the last relay is connected so that normally the wire from the original relay goes to the parking lights uninterrupted UNLESS the key is on. Then it basically unplugs the whole mess, and it doesnt matter whats clicking when, its not connected to the lights anymore.

Hope that made more sense of the directions, and helped the completely lost people figure out whats going on.

Ok well I posted how to gte the auto locks to stop, and you pull a pin out of the RKE module. But I want use your way first.

Well, if you don't like the auto door locks and want them disabled, then you can eliminate that last relay. to disable them, you would need to cut the pink/black wire. But if you would rather keep them and only wanted them disabled to fix the blink, then use the relay.

When you said connect 30 and 86 at the orange wire at the module, you mean the KE module.

Yes. (made a really convenient sorce of battery voltage. any other constant +12v is acceptable.)

Well I tried it without the third relay and it works sorta. The lights flash when I unlock for about half a second and are very dim. The second relay is also makeing a sound as if it was a dead battery, cldcldcldcldcldcldlcld instaed of a steady click. I don't think its the relay because I changed it and it sill happend. so what happend.

Oh poop. OK, try this, take a piece of wire and jumper across the diode in the gray wire. Once thats in place, lift up a front door handle, the parking lights SHOULD come on. If they do, then I gotta think up something else.

I will try this hopefully tomorrow afternoon, work these next two days after school.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.