older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Makes sense because my head lights come on as I enter my garage which is dark. I think best thing ...
    rfishing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin?

Makes sense because my head lights come on as I enter my garage which is dark. I think best thing to do, is download the owners manual for your car, and read up on features.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unlockin?

Lets put all of this to rest...

A 93 Eldo (pretty much same electrically as Seville), CANNOT beep horn/flash exterior lights when the keyless remote is used. There is no such option or setting.

Also, the interior lights will come on (for somethign like 15 seconds) if: you press the Unlock button or the Lights button on the remote FOB. They will also turn on like that if you yank on the exterior door handle (no matter if the doors are locked or unlocked). Since keyhole illuminator is tied to the interior lights, it will also turn on as stated above.

If you can then get in the car and close the door, the interior light will continue to stay on for the remainder of that 15 seconds. This is called "illuminated entry" and is done to help you to see the ignition switch.

If you are then able to put in the ignition key before that 15 seconds is over, turning the ignition ON will turn the interior lights off instantly.

Please note that using the remote FOB to lock the car WILL NOT turn the interior lights on .

Phew! I think that this covers all the scenarios...

Peteski

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unloc

If anyone was interested, I could probably come up with a way to make the parking lights flash when you locked the car. Would probably only need a diode and relay...

whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Well DaveSmed I would like you to do this if you could please.When you do please give us the info on a how to wright up.

Re: older sevilles with keyless entry, do your lights/horn honk when locking or unloc

Unfortunately, I am not on anything that can make a decent wiring diagram, so I'll just describe it for now...
    Assuming a 93 STS, most likely others...

First, locate the keyless entry module in the trunk. It is above and a little to the left of the relay center behind the back seat. Find the Light blue wire located in pin C3 of the connector. There is another light blue wire in pin C9. It is more toward the middle. The one you want is at the end. follow this wire back a bit in the harness to make sure you have enough room at both ends, and cut it. Do not go as far as any factory splice though, the wire should ONLY go back to the module not connect to anything else. Install the diode on the car side of the harness (as opposed to the module side) with the silver stripe closest to the car side of the harness. This is to prevent all "lock" signals from causing the parking lights to flash. connect the module side of the harness to the other side of the diode, as well as a new wire which will connect to pin 85 of your standard automotive relay. Connect pin 86 and pin 30 to ground. You can test your connections now by locking the car with the keyfob and listening to the relay click. Lock the car with the door mounted switches and verify the relay does not click. Note: the actual door lock relay is mounted back there too. Make sure you know what clicked. You should be able to feel it by holding the relay. Now for the part I'm not sure about... did all keyless equipped cars come with the theft deterrent system, RPO UA6? I will assume they did, as thats how Cadillac has done things before... If you have keyless but don't have the theft deterrent system your car will need to be wired a bit differently. Locate the Theft Deterrent module located to the immediate right of the keyless entry module. Find terminal F on the modules connector, it should be a Black/white wire. Tap into this wire, and connect it to pin 87 of the relay.

Now you should have light and horn chirp lock confirmation! (that looks like a lot, but it isnt too hard once you do it.)

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    Also, the interior lights will come on (for somethign like 15 seconds) if: you press the Unlock button or the Lights button on the remote FOB. They will also turn on like that if you yank on the exterior door handle (no matter if the doors are locked or unlocked). Since keyhole illuminator is tied to the interior lights, it will also turn on as stated above.
    Anyone else find this dumb? Cadillac has always had it like that, but I think with the Theft deterrent armed, the keyhole should be the only thing that lights up instead of allowing the creep in the parking lot trying door handles a full view of your interior/radio and potentally a good reason to break out your window...

Trench is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Anyone else find this dumb? Cadillac has always had it like that, but I think with the Theft deterrent armed, the keyhole should be the only thing that lights up instead of allowing the creep in the parking lot trying door handles a full view of your interior/radio and potentally a good reason to break out your window...

I was always under the impression that feature was meant for safety. IE, The lights turn on before you even open the door so you can make sure no one is hiding in the back seat.

Before you laugh, that has been the real situation for people. Not just a myth of sorts.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

I can see it from both angles, but I always liked the feature. It was useful in case it was dark and I needed to check whether I left something in the car.

I guess, but I just think it would have been smarter to tie it to the unlock switch in the key, so as soon as you unlock the car it lights up the interior. I dunno, on a friends car, I wired it up so when his alarm was armed, it connected it to the horn. Worked good for awhile, until a few of his friends around school figured it out and stuck a block of wood in his door handle during class one day.....

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Personally, I hate all those cars (and drivers) who have audiable (horn) confirmation of their car locking/alarm arming.

Such a pain when they do it in the middle of the night! Noise pollution! Much nicer if they only use the visual confirmation (headlights/parking lights flash). Or in the mall parking lot when you walk by their car while they lock/unlock, beeping the horn as you're passing in front of their car! GRRRR!

Peteski

Trench is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    Personally, I hate all those cars (and drivers) who have audiable (horn) confirmation of their car locking/alarm arming.
    Such a pain when they do it in the middle of the night! Noise pollution! Much nicer if they only use the visual confirmation (headlights/parking lights flash). Or in the mall parking lot when you walk by their car while they lock/unlock, beeping the horn as you're passing in front of their car! GRRRR!
    Peteski

Agree'd. But I must say the "honk" that newer VW's make is perfect. Just a quick mellow beep/honk thing. Not abnoxious in the least.

Unlike my car that issues a full bore "WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKK!!!!!!" So, I disable it. heh

I like Ford's setup the best. It silently locks the car the first press, so normally there is no confirmation, but if it recieves another lock command, it then provides the chirp/flash confirmation.

Any luck with the mod?

No not yet,sigh I have had no time .I have been working extra days for the past three weeks(filling in for co worker) and between school and work and helping my father with the buisness, I have had no time.I think about it every day though and plan to grab the relay out of my 84 BMW parts car.

Thanks though for checking if it worked.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.