98 ETC vs 98 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98 ETC vs 98 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Which one would win and by how much?...
    Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

98 ETC vs 98 STS

Which one would win and by how much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: 98 ETC vs 98 STS

ETC by a hair, since it's ever so slightly lighter. It would really come down to the state of tune each car was in and the launch.

I wanted to know since I might buy one of these cars and I think I am going to go with the STS. I like the interior better but the outside of the ETC is better looking. What are some problems with the car. And does it have air suspension like Lincolns do? And are there some years that the sts is faster like the gen 1 mark VIII are faster than gen 2?

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Im not sure why this is in the Versus forum, but Ill move this where it can get some more exposure for you since both vehicles are handled in the same forum.

As far as your question, Unfortunately I do not really think its an entirely fair comparison because the 98 STS benefits from being a G Body Aurora based platform with an all new design for 98', while the ETC solidiered on with the same basic platform it had from 1992 until 2002.

That being said, the STS is more the looker in my opinion, from inside and out. STS also has a few more techno goodies, like Electroluminescent gauge cluster, Digital speedo readout in the gauge cluster, 425W Bose Sound system with an 11inch sub in the rear deck, adaptive seats etc. I wouldnt trade mine for an ETC, but thats just my personal preference. I also like having two doors in the back for my friends. The ETC will probably be quicker due to the lighter weight.

The suspension system in the Cadillacs is much more reliable than the one you find in the Lincolns. The Lincolns use a problematic rubber airbag that tends to leak and develop cracks over time in colder climates, the Cadillacs use a variety of systems like Magnetic Ride Control which are liquid filled dampers with Magnetic particles in them that respond to electrical impulses on 02 and up models. Prior to this they used a hydraulic system called CVRSS or Contiuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension which was somewhat different. It is much less prone to issues than the bag type struts in Lincoln vehicles, but it is still an Active style system that can be expensive to replace. For this reason most people just replace the active struts with cheaper and easy to install passive replacements, available from companies like Arnott inc, a supporting vendor of this forum. There are no particular years of "FASTER" STS than others, though owners will always have their opinion about their own car, and in the year 2000 the cam profile and other key components were changed in the L37 and LD8 (275hp version) Northstars which allowed for the use of regular octane fuel, returned to an air cooled alternator from a liquid cooled alternator ($$$) and other benefits.

Problems with the STS and ETC, mostly relating to the motor, mostly have to deal with case-half seal leaks which most Northstars eventually develop, and is a problem that causes them to seep oil from the case-half over time. This is usually nothing more than a nuisance that requires that you keep the oil level topped off and keep an eye on it, still if the car is leaking enough that you are getting puddles on the ground, it would be best to leave that car alone, since the labor and parts cost for a case-half "reseal" can be anywhere between 2 and 4000.00 depending on where its done and who does it. The other concern would be headgasket failures. If you smell coolant, the car heats up more than normal, or there is excessive steam from the tailpipe, this could most likely indicate a headgasket issue. It would not be a bad idea to have the car checked for compression at each cylinder prior to a purchase to help determine this.

Thats all I can think of for now,
    Good luck.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

it also depeneds on the STOCK rating on the STOCK tries. if you only have an H rated then your done at 135 mph, if you get a Z though your limited only by when you engine blows up

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Ian, whats the deal with your SLS?

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

As stated above, neither car will be inherently faster...there is lots of variability in the manufacturing process and the exact same model from the exact same year can perform very differently...nothing new there.

You need to buy the style you like. Don't pick based on raw speed...because unless you raced the two particular cars you're looking at, you couldn't accurately "bench race" them anyway. Drive them both. You may find you really favor one over the other.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

the ETC would win that i dont doubt less the ETC catchs a bad launch

I would Like to pick up the STS over the ETC because of the space inside the car.Now, do all STS have the mag. control ride? and what about the tranny's on them?

ElDawgg 2G is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Fleetwood/ 2000 ETC/ 2000 STS/ 2006 STS

Hello...
    Both Eldorado and Seville were equipped with CVRSS.
    Midway through 2002, Seville switched to Magnetic.
    Both STS and ETC share the same gear ratio.

These are 2 different cars.
    The winner of the race would depend on the driver.
    I could win in either car combo:
    -driving STS against ETC
    -driving ETC against STS

I favor the STS over the ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Ian, whats the deal with your SLS?
    I got rid of the SLS and swapped it for my 1998 STS w/ 98k miles. Ended up just trading it as it needed some costly repairs.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Bottom line is if you want the 2 door get the ETC, if you like the extra space in back and 4 doors get the STS.

I already have the mark VIII as a two door, alot of hassle if you have more then two person. You know get out and then let the person out and all. I am probabley going to look for the years 1998-2000. I think the navigation and the HIDs came out in 2000, right? And how many miles can the northstars reach? Will it be able to reach 250,000 Like Lincoln Town Cars do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0101
    I already have the mark VIII as a two door, alot of hassle if you have more then two person. You know get out and then let the person out and all. I am probabley going to look for the years 1998-2000. I think the navigation and the HIDs came out in 2000, right? And how many miles can the northstars reach? Will it be able to reach 250,000 Like Lincoln Town Cars do?
    Ill tell you right now 250K Miles on a Northstar is OPTIMISTIC. Id say 200k miles without a major rebuild/replacement would be more the NORM. Thats not to say that some have done better, but on average my experience has been that the Ford Modular 4.6 Motor in any of its variations offers more logevity than the Northstar.

2000 was the first year for the tiny Navigation Screen (worthless if you ask me), 2001 was the first year for the Luxury/Performance package which had HIDs and 17 inch multispoke sport wheels, and 2002 was the first year for Magnaride and the nice touchscreen Nav system.

I plan to retrofit 01-03 HID assemblies into my 98 and possibly upgrade to the 17 inch wheel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.