Northstar Oil Leak onto Exhaust Manifold?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Northstar Oil Leak onto Exhaust Manifold? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm not sure if it's acually my car producing the burning odor, but I've noticed the last few times I've ...
    BostonETC97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar Oil Leak onto Exhaust Manifold?

I'm not sure if it's acually my car producing the burning odor, but I've noticed the last few times I've been in traffic the distinct odor of engine oil burning. It has only happened after idling in traffic for 30 seconds or so, and usually doesn't return.

Part of me wants to think it's some jalopy infront of me. The rational part of me worries that it's my car! I've poked around under the hood, and can't find anything leaking down to the manifolds. There's no oil on my floor, and no signs of any leaks. Just seems like maybe a couple drops hit the manifold periodically.

Anybody with a similar experience? Do the rocker cover seals have any tendancy to leak? I've got about 85,000 mi on the car now, if that helps!

-Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Re: Northstar Oil Leak onto Exhaust Manifold?

The cam covers can seep after some time. I haven't encountered any that actually seep enough to smoke off the exhaust manifold.

My other thought is that something is leaking lower down, and trailing down the lower-end of the manifold out towards the cat.

...but I'd imagine that'd be a more serious leak, and I'd definately see that on the floor!

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Look at the exhaust crossover pipe that runs between the engine and trans and see if there are signs of oil leaking on to that.

Lightbulb Re: Northstar Oil Leak onto Exhaust Manifold?

Well, there's been progress. Now I've got a good-sized puddle of oil on the floor. Perfectly centered between the wheels, looks almost like it's coming off the oil drain area (drain & filter are tight, not leaking), and blowing back.

The car had the case-half resealed at 35k, and hasn't leaked a drop since. I had an oilchange about two weeks ago, so something must have gone fubar to go from no leak to "puddle."

Well, i'll be under the car for a while... my resolution for 2006 is to drive more. Throw me any insight you got on this leak!

Happy & Healthy New Year to you & your family!

-Scott

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Is the oil pressure switch tight and secure? How does the trailing exhaust look? Is oil hitting the pipe going towards the back? If oil were leaking from the switch, it wouldn't be hitting any exhaust up above it. But...worth a check.

I didn't check out the switch yet - thanks for the advice! About a year ago the local caddy dealer did an oilchange, after which I had a MAJOR leak, and lost about 3 quarts of oil between the dealer and my house. Came out the next morning, and had a puddle the size of a large pizza on the ground. Drove back, and they replaced what they called a "handful of seals around the oil filter housing area." Now I wish I asked what they were...

I guess the good news is that my extended warranty covers seals & gaskets, so if it's something scary, it'll be fixed. My goal is to get alteast 150k out of this car... I love it too much to trade it for anything else.

And the sad part is that every time I start looking for a new car, I can't find ANYTHING that compares to this one. The only car I liked as an "eldorado replacement" was the large mercedes coupe - the CL55. But the pricetag on that is insane... that's just throwing money into the wind.

Ok, on my way out the door to fix this!

Cadillac Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

More than likely who ever changed your oil didn't notice that the oil filter seal didn't stay stuck to your old filter. Then they put the new filter on, doubling up the seals, causing your leak.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

On my 1996 STS, I had a small leak develop where the oil cooler lines attach to the radiator...dealer replaced the o-rings.

Charles

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.