'85 Seville Climate Control Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '85 Seville Climate Control Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have an '85 Seville that is experiencing issues. The current one is that the panels for climate control and ...
    ProblemChildSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 85 Seville

'85 Seville Climate Control Issues

I have an '85 Seville that is experiencing issues. The current one is that the panels for climate control and MPG aren't coming on, and the defroster is stuck on full fan and heat.

Controls for either are unresponsive. Also, the fuel gauge is apparently not working. Anyone have any experience with this unique issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: '85 Seville Climate Control Issues

Assuming this is a digital display cluster, its appears the climate control head is unplugged or faulty. Does this car have a non factory radio? No power thru the control head will default to hi fan and defroster operation. An incorrectly installed aftermarket radio can short out the control head. If the radio power is hooked up to the two wire radio display illumination wires in the factory radio harness, ( grey and orange 2 wire plug) it will kill the climate control head.

Factory radio, but it has seen a few sets of clumsy hands rummaging around in there. Good to know where to look. Thanks.

So knowing that, I would suspect the dash climate control head or display. Easily removed, just 2 screws above the center A/C vents and the wood plate pops off. 2 more screws hold the climate head to the dash face. Remove those and gently pull the head out. With it still connected, start the car and wiggle the multi wire connector. If it displays, you might want to unplug the connector and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. If that doesn't work then get another head. They're the same, Eldo or Seville 83 to 85. Only difference is some dont have a rear defogger button, most do. These are educated guesses on my part given the fact that I've owned 3 Eldos.

So I pulled the unit out, unplugged it, and replugged it. It works, until you cycle the ignition power, then it goes back to default. So does this mean the unit itself is faulty?

Are you saying it displays and can be changed with the buttons in the RUN position, but if you start the car it blanks out?

No, if you start the car, it doesn't work. While the rig is running, if you unplug the module, then replug it, it will then work. If you then shut the car off and restart it again, it will not come on again.

Also, it will work first thing in the morning, until it reaches about 80 degrees outside. Then it will stop coming on.

I would get one from a self service wrecking yard. That's assuming you've cleaned the contact pins on the plug, looked at them closely for being bent or not fully seated in the connector. Did you clean the contacts on the control head as well?

The "new" climate control head has worked. Thanks for the information, guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.