Coolant Level Sensor & Operating Temp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Coolant Level Sensor & Operating Temp in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 1.) Does the 2002 Eldorado ETC have a Coolant Level Sensor? 2.) I had the analog gauges in my 2003 ...
    Lewis98272 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado ETC 85k miles / Past: '03 Deville; '02 STS

Coolant Level Sensor & Operating Temp

1.) Does the 2002 Eldorado ETC have a Coolant Level Sensor?

2.) I had the analog gauges in my 2003 Deville, and I know all about that temp gauge, what is normal, what is not. However, although this Eldorado has analog gauges, They are not the same as the 2000 - 2005 DHS & DTS.

Sub has a great description and great pictures of the 2000 - 2005 DHS & DTS; and the 1998 - 2003 Seville. It would be awesome to see a picture like those 'cept on the older style gauges.

Thanks all -Jared

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    1 - Yes

2 - The sweep of the gauge is different, but the approximate temp indications are the same.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Coolant Level Sensor & Operating Temp

The "gauges" have 9 tick marks. All the ECT senders are the same resistance range, so the marks are the same temps for both styles of gauge.

Yes to coolant level sensor. A fitting and electrical connector in the very bottom of the surge tank.

That gauge picture and the initial temperature notation was done by JimD. All the notes, colors and indicated temperatures were done by me after some experimentation with an IR thermometer, sheets of cardboard, and Karen to call "Mark !" when the gauge hit the ticks in succession - with fan fuses pulled. I quit at 260. There was input from other CF members, too - same development sequence as the speed/rpm/TCC curves done by mhamilton.

Okay, I've just been noticing the needle between the 6 and 7 dash lines at times on the highway (generally after a nearly wop merging onto the Freeway) but it has always gone back between the 5 and 6 dash on most warm days of 98-103 degrees on the drive home. Idling it sits just a tick higher than 12 o clock (dash 5). It's just right after the 7 dash is where the red begins. It always makes me a little nervous when she starts getting that high after a wot. But she always cools back down rather quickly.

Reason for question 1, in November 2013 noticed that I couldn't see the coolant in the reservoir like I could the DeVille, (but there was no 'check coolant level' message. Filled it up and I checked it last night again for the first time since November and almost 5000 miles later, and again I couldn't really see the coolant. Again no check coolant level message. I added about 8 glass fulls till the water level was flush with the cap opening. Just was wondering if the car would let me know if the coolant got too low. I won't worry about it again until that message comes up. Shoot I'm probably over filling it. Needn't worry, she's not over heating, runs great and no check coolant level. I should be fine.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes, there is a coolant level sensor and it should put a CHECK COOLANT message on the DIC.

"Flush with the cap opening" it over filled. 1/2 - 2/3 is plenty. It needs expansion room. Otherwise the excess will puke overboard.

If you have to add every now and then, you have a leak or are consuming it. Pray for a leak. Radiator side tanks and the surge tank are common leak points. look for the chalky white telltale residue of dried Dex.

Thanks Ranger. I am thinking it was about half full when I checked the level both times. In my mind 'half-full' isn't full. Lol. But you are right. It needs expansion room. If I ever get the Check coolant level message or if the engine ever starts to over heat I'll start looking for a leak or consumption. As it stands, I had to replace the radiator at 82k (literally the radiator side tank blew up not 2 miles from the original owners house (The director of the towns Hospital - very nice guy). But I liked the car enough and it was in such good condition I never did let him know.) Due to a crack in the side tank. Car still overheated so I had the thermostat and upper/lower hoses changed. Solved the problem. Been a great car since and has sat on her throne in the garage for the most part since I've owned her.

Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

Do a block test. I think your HG are on the way out. My '97 blew out the side tank when the HG went. I think it's running hot and burning coolant. Any white smoke upon start-up? Rough idle at start-up that goes away quickly?
    I could be wrong, but if I am right and you end up having it studded, if you do it early on, you can still drive it somewhere to have it repaired correctly as opposed to having it trailered and costing even more.

She drives like a dream. Perfect idle, can't even smell the exhaust, and in a years time almost and almost 8 thousand miles the re savor has never gotten low enough for the check coolant level. So it's not using. I'm have a feeling I've been over filling it. The DeVille had a kinda see through tank and full when hot was about half way. This tank is solid black. Can't see where half full is, but I'm sure the coolant has been fine now after looking everything over, and learning a little about this cars cooling system.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Just for grins and kicks, look at your surge tank. See the FULL COLD legend molded into the top ??? Now follow the flat arrow across and down the side of the surge tank.
    Attached Images

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If the tank is opaque and you can't see the coolant level, just use a tape to measure the head space between the coolant and the bottom of the filler neck. 2" is about right.

Alright thanks fellas. And Sub, that reservoir is what my DeVille's tank looked like - Super easy to read. This Eldorado has a solid black tank, Rangers idea of the tape sounds like a pretty accurate way to check. Again thanks for all the continued help.

Jared

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.