Thinking of a Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Thinking of a Seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, So recently we purchased an 06 SRX for the wife, and I got my 2000 Tahoe Limited back. ...
    orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Thinking of a Seville

Hey guys,

So recently we purchased an 06 SRX for the wife, and I got my 2000 Tahoe Limited back. Well, after filling up the Tahoe a couple of times, I'm starting to think we don't need two SUV's that get terrible mileage. Especially since my commute is all surface roads, about 8 miles one way, and 99% of the time it is just me in the car.

I've started looking at what else I may enjoy. I have always liked the look of the Seville, and am contemplating picking one up. I would actually prefer the SLS over the STS, as I understand it gets a little better MPG and I'm not concerned with any acceleration benefits that you may get with the STS.

I've gotten some good information of what to look for off the board here, and appreciate all of the knowledge shared. The Seville is on my short list for consideration. I've previously had a 1990 Eldorado, an 05 STS N* and now the SRX. Basically just looking for a comfortable car to commute in.

Thanks,

matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Thinking of a Seville

Last SLS was built in 12/03. 10.5 years ago. Find a creampuff: bring money, a garage, experience and tools.

"Comfortable commute" - You might want to look at a later DTS (it's not a Deville) after 2007 in one of the "performance" trim packages.

8 mile commute, engine never warms up - semi-open road = average 15 mpg for any of the FWD breed.

Yep, I'm not naive to the fact that these cars are all older. That is fine with me. I'm not opposed to doing my wrenching and fixing what needs to be fixed.

I live in AZ, the car is pretty much warm by the time I'm done backing out the driveway When I had my RWD STS, I was averaging around 17-18ish with pretty much all city driving. Even that would be a step up from the 13 i'm getting in the Tahoe

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Mileage wise it would be similar to your previous RWD STS. These Sevilles are great comfortable vehicles but they are indeed getting old and most of them for sale on the road need attention. Find the best one you can find with all the service records.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    I live in AZ, the car is pretty much warm by the time I'm done backing out the driveway
    Not so - engine oil requires 8 - 10 miles from cold start (relative term) to reach proper operating temperature and to begin boiling off condensed moisture and blowby acids in the crankcase.

In general, I figure no matter what I purchase will need some attention. My 00 Tahoe I picked up about a year ago with 144K on the clock. Needed a little work, but overall good condition. Hopefully I can find something in good shape that doesn't need too much. Although I have seen one that needs a transmission on CL, could probably pick it up pretty cheap. Wife would likely hate me if I had to do another trans swap in the driveway or garage ha ha.

Luck for me I don't "need" a vehicle right now, just a want So combined with my patience I think I will be able to find the right deal.

RVMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville STS

This one that needs a transmission, this is ALOT different than changing a trans in almost any other vehicle.
    Would not want to consider doing it in a driveway for sure.
    It might not actually need a transmission though, might just have the p0741 and / or p1860 DTC code.

Quote Originally Posted by RVMAN View Post
    This one that needs a transmission, this is ALOT different than changing a trans in almost any other vehicle.
    Would not want to consider doing it in a driveway for sure.
    It might not actually need a transmission though, might just have the p0741 and / or p1860 DTC code.
    I would assume it is the same as most of the FWD GM cars, where you need to support the engine from above, drop the sub frame, and then drop the trans. Which, is much more involved than most RWD trans, or even a couple other FWD's I've done.

I actually had to replace the trans on my 89 Oldsmobile when it had 212K on it. It was not fun, but got it done

matt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.