Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  clusco 
#1 ·
I had to take off my lower hose today to change my motor mounts and upon putting it back together and filling it up with coolant, I think I trapped air in the system. I understand that you can take off the purge line and blow into it to clear it of any debris that may be caught. My question is: If I undo the purge line to clear it of debris, will the coolant come rushing out? And if so, will it continue to rush out or will just a bit come out?

#2 ·
Very little if any should come out. It is at the highest part of the system so it will not sypon. If you got air in the system the system will automatically purge itself through that line. Why do you think it is clogged? Just start the car and you should see some flow in the tank. If you cannot, remove the line from the tank and at idle you should see some flow, though maybe not continuous. Just so the coolant is free to flow. If there is none, then clean it out along with the hollow bolt it mounts to at the pump.

#3 ·
Well, I had to change my motor mounts but so that I could jack up the engine, I had to remove that lower hose and then the problem started. Months ago, I had similar problems with bits of rusted debris getting caught in that line.

So just to be a bit clearer on my end.... The coolant flows from the surge tank through the purge line or does it flow from the water pump end through to the surge tank?

And lastly, to test that the purge line is working properly, I take off the surge cap and start the car and look into the surge tank for bubbling movement?

#4 ·
Coolant flows from the nipple near the water pump into the thin rubber hose, through the throttle body then to the surge tank.

If you pull that hose off at the water pump side while engine is running there shoudl be steady pee of coolant coming out. This is also the way air gets purged from the cooling system into the surge tank. So, if the rest of that connection (from the throttle body to the surge tanks) is clear, everything is working as designed and air should be getting purged properly.

Peteski

#5 ·
I'm looking at the purge line now but I don't see this hollow bolt that you guys are talking about. All I see on either side of the purge line are 2 small hoses with clamps on them... one connecting to the water pump side and one to the surge tank. Is the hollow bolt under there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.