2001 Seville freaking out after plug/cassette change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2001 Seville freaking out after plug/cassette change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK i had a p 308 misfire code-the water pump belt was rubbing on the upper radiator hose, coolant looked ...
    ghettocaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS Northstar VIN 9

2001 Seville freaking out after plug/cassette change

OK i had a p 308 misfire code-the water pump belt was rubbing on the upper radiator hose, coolant looked like sewage, belts were ready to fly off and kill someone, i also had a steering sensor code and a front hub sensor- which i just replaced the hub bearing. unfortunately i somehow pinched the wire on the hub so i had to replace it. now the abs and traction control light went off and all that is good. so i replaced the belts-front cassette,plugs (which looked horrible-i think they are the original ones) 95,000 miles. flushed and drained everything and everything seemed good. I stuck a rag into the throttle body and held the butterfly open and cleaned the throttle body. put it all together and started her up and oh my god it ran horrible. checked the codes and it said cat sensor incomplete,evap sensor incomplete, oxygen sensor incomplete and now p304 misfire. what have i done......omg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2001 Seville freaking out after plug/cassette change

Did you clean the coil cassette towers and inspect the boots for carbon tracking ? One bad boot or cracked coil tower and you're right back at Square 1. The ICM connectors should be clean and tight and the injector electrical connectors should also.

What plugs did you use ? What gap ? What were the actual trouble codes and definitions from the link in the post ^^^ "How to pull codes" ?

i took both cassettes off-a few terminals had corrosion on them-i cleaned them with a little brass wirebrush.-the boots looked newer, didn't see any cracks or arcing. didn't see a whole lot of di-electric grease only small portions. I used platinum 41-987 i think ac delco with the factory gap that they came with-and i checked them they were all the same(around 48-50). the codes the car is showing says pcm 1106h and po300-at autozone they said it was showing cat monitor incomplete,evap monitor incomplete, and oxygen sensor incomplete along with the p304 misfire.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

The only way you're getting incomplete monitors is the battery was disconnected and the pcm reset, or was reset with a scanner

the front cassette is brand new. i looked at it real well before i installed it. one thing i forgot too mention is i see a tiny bit of moisture in the plug well-is that normal? it didnt seem like antifreeze because it looked clear.

----------

hmmm... autozone refuses to reset anything-unless the cabbage patch kid did it by mistake. i didn't disconnect the battery or cables.

Moisture in the spark plug well? That is not normal. If you have compressed air blow the moisture out or dry it out with some rags/towels

could it be coming from the intake leaking? i have compressed air. i am going to take off both cassettes and the intake- i bought a boot and intake gaskets and i will clean the throttle body at that time too and then see where i am at. i had the old front casette out-cleaned the corrosion (looked like rust) off the towers-put it back in. then when the new one came in i removed the old cassette and it was moist and had a little rust on the towers again.20140610_154351[1].jpg

this was one of the plugsplug.jpg

The brass brush may have left metallic deposits on the coil tower plastic - that is good for a miss right there. You clean those plug terminal studs with strips of emery cloth - like you were shining the toe of a shoe.

Moisture - either one hell of a thunderstorm at 65 mph, failing plug boots, or the car/engine wash.

Those cassettes are toast. New boots, too. That spark plug is/was WAY overdue for replacement. (Do you ever get out for a long (3 hour) highway run ?)

Start all over after looking at that stuff........

New cassettes, new plugs, new boots and springs.

Everything you have has seen better days.........

Correct ^^^^

(A little oil on the plug bodies is normal)

See the funny markings on the coil tower plastic areas ? That's "carbon tracking" - created by spark arcing outside the insulator - and is a guaranteed miss cause.

Truth - your cassettes, plugs and boots are toast. Lack of preventive maintenance -

how do i coat the boots with di-electric? does it go all over inside the boot? will di electric grease interfere with the spring conducting electricity? i take it there is just pressure on the coil tower and pressure on the spark plug that makes contact? its not supposed to clip on to the spark plug is it? or the tower?

like i said earlier-while i have it all tore down i am going to replace the intake gaskets-the boot and injector o rings. how many o rings do i need? how many are on each injector?

Two different sized O-rings on each injector. Maybe at a NAPA or in kits from RockAuto. The boot springs make contact with the cassette and plug tips by spring action. No, dielectric grease will not cause connection problems. You smear a small dab around the inside of the upper and lower boot openings - use the tip of a toothpick. Silicone dielectric grease - at any parts store. If the injector O-rings are in decent shape, reuse them. Smear a drop of engine oil around each one before you drop the fuel rail back in. Same for the 8 intake manifold port gaskets - they should be reusable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.