2002 STS open highway fuel mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2002 STS open highway fuel mileage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello guys. I want to thank all of you taht answered a question about "why my gas needle keeps jumping ...
    fate300m is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS

2002 STS open highway fuel mileage

Hello guys. I want to thank all of you taht answered a question about "why my gas needle keeps jumping around" thread. Now that I know what I am looking for, I have another question. Since I dont have a way of knowing how much gas is in my tank, I was wondering if any of you know how many miles does a 15 gallon tank will get? I drive from Mesquite, tx to Irving, Tx (straight highway) and I stay from 60 mph to 65 mph. Every now and then there is a small traffic jam. But what is the average miles on a full tank of gas?

Thanks for any information or web pages you can send me to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2002 Cadillac Seville STS

I found my answer on edmunds.com. These are the specs:
    ENGINE TYPE Gas
    FUEL TYPE Regular unleaded
    FUEL TANK CAPACITY 18.5 gal.
    RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 296.0/462.5 mi.
    EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 16/25 mpg

Today I filled up the car with 15 gallons. I will report back on how many miles I get (all highway).

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Re: 2002 Cadillac Seville STS

Scroll to the top and click on "eldorado/Seville"

That's where you should be posting. This is the 2005+ STS forum.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Found his answer but not the correct location to post lol.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2002 STS open highway fuel mileage

Moved from the later Sigma-body "STS" to Seville.

Your car will safely run down to <3 gallons in the tank during extended road trips on which you immediately fill up. Otherwise, maintain the tank at least half full.

From 8.5 years of driving the STS on mostly Shell 87 - (NO snake oil or phony additives - all they do is increase the cost of a tank of gas):

In town, nasty traffic = <10 - 15 mpg
    Rural, some highway work = 17 - 21 mpg
    Open highway, 60 - 80 mph = 24.8 mpg.

So................ IF you get about 25 mpg open highway and you run the tank down 16 gallons, you should get about 380 miles before fillup. Remember - open road mileage depends on wind, grades (hills), speed, load, engine/car maintenance level and driving technique.

As you fill up and start the car for the trip, reset the various fuel used, average mpg, and trip odometers. You hit the highway and average fuel mileage and gallons used begin to register. Fairly soon you'll see the true open road gas mileage in the average mileage readout (the instantaneous readout is useless). After a half hour or so you'll get a pretty accurate readout of gallons used, range, and mpg.

It's all in the owner's manual. Do you speak engine oil and transmission OLM ? The transmission should remain at 100 % or 99% forever. Engine oil OLM will tick down as time/use/mileage rack up. The OLM will tick down LESS during a highway run than during the same time in the city.

DIC, OLM, DTC, etc. - the Acronyms sticky ^^^

fate300m, On your driver's door sticker - what is the tire size and speed rating, and what is the build date ?
    bwv565 and fate300m like this.

Thank you gentlmen. I will check my driver door for the sticker. I currently have 17 inch tires and as far as the build date, I'll post a picture.

Thank you for all of your help.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your original tires were 235/55/17 with a speed rating as shown on the driver's door sticker. If your car was built on or after 01/15/02 it has the Corvette/Ferrari Magnetic Ride Control system. That would be shown by RPO code "F55" on the sticker under the spare tire cover. Otherwise an STS built prior to that will be a F45 -CVRSS - car. (Constantly Variable Road Sensing Suspension). All STS carry the FE3 sport suspension spring package and all STS have either form of monitored active suspension. (STS = Seville Touring Sedan - NOT the copycat acronym later "STS".)

Google "delphi lord magnetorheological suspension system".
    Attached Images

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by fate300m View Post
    Every now and then there is a small traffic jam
    You're joking with all those 635 constructions, right?

Anyways, the sending unit in my Deville has not been working since who knows when, I just fill up when it hits 250 miles or so with Dallas traffic. I get around 300-320 miles in a tank with my Seville with a working fuel gauge.

You can also utilize the "Gallons Used" DIC info, that uses the injector pulse and is relatively correct. 250 miles trip in my Deville in similar Dallas situation like you stated, and it tells me it has used around 13 gallons.

CaddyInParadise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 STS, and four 4.x DeVilles in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by fate300m View Post
    Hello guys. I want to thank all of you taht answered a question about "why my gas needle keeps jumping around" thread. Now that I know what I am looking for, I have another question. Since I dont have a way of knowing how much gas is in my tank, I was wondering if any of you know how many miles does a 15 gallon tank will get? I drive from Mesquite, tx to Irving, Tx (straight highway) and I stay from 60 mph to 65 mph. Every now and then there is a small traffic jam. But what is the average miles on a full tank of gas?

Thanks for any information or web pages you can send me to.
    According the DIC averages, my 94 STS gets 25 at 65 mph, 23 at 70, 20 at 75 and 17 at 80. I drive 150 miles straight flat highway twice a week and how fast I set the cruise depends on how much gas I feel I can waste before payday and/or how late for work I am running.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.