Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  rfishing 
#1 ·
This is repost as I am still confused. 94 Seville STS looses about 1-2 pints of coolant each time going up mountains only. Drove car around town for a few days, and no loss of coolant (level was 1.5 inches from top, highest temp 202). Soon as I take car up mountain pass, temp climbed up to 219, next morning checked level and it not visible in overflow. I am afraid that I may be adding too much coolant to radiator overflow tank and it is being blown out hose?

So far I have been told 2 different levels for this tank:

1. about 1.5 inches from the top.
2. about 3 inches from the bottom.

What is it supposed to be top or bottom? Hot or Cold? Why? If from Bottom how can I check that level? Keep in mind, its a metal tank with metal plate inside blocking the view of interior of tank about 2 inches down. When I fill this tank if coolant in radiator is low, will it automatically fill the radiator too?

Very concerned because head gaskets, radiator, water pump, cap, thermostat were all replaced about 10 months ago.

Thanks in advance,

See less See more
#2 ·
The "full" level is 1.5" - 2" from the top (cold, that leave 1.5 - 2" for expansion when it heats up ). The tank is supposed to be the highest point in the system so it should fill the radiator from that point as well.

Are your fans working? Is the cap holding 15 psi? Is the purge line clear?

#4 ·
rfishing said:
I think its time for a pro to look at my car. Temp went up to 255 going up mountain yesterday. Seems just like when the head gasket blew 10 months ago. From what I am reading online, these engines should have been recalled.
More accurately I think is that you're becoming a hypochondriac from what you're reading online. Have a pro look at the car and let us know what she or he says about it. Maybe the radiator is getting clogged or there is some other restriction in the system or the pump belt is slipping due to a stuck tensioner or ... The list goes on. There are lots of possibilities. Before you go getting frustrated and torqued about it, get it checked out.

#6 ·
rfishing said:
...From what I am reading online, these engines should have been recalled.
The posts you're reading is from those who have problems. Usually people aren't compelled to post about how good their car is running, and I'm sure there is plenty of these cars out there with no problems at all. These engines are not more problematic than any other car you compare it to, although it may seem that way sometimes. They are more expensive to fix but not more problematic. Remember that people don't go looking for automotive forums very often unless they have a problem that they want resolved.

#7 ·
Yes Dealer did the repairs, and it was timeserted. Replaced everything; radiator, water pump, thermostat, overflow tank, cap, etc., etc..

Sure, I will let everyone know what they find wrong. Information is valuable, even if its too much.

Hypochondriac? Well, I hope that you are right and it is a simple fix.

Thank you

#8 ·
Krashed989 said:
The posts you're reading is from those who have problems. Usually people aren't compelled to post about how good their car is running, and I'm sure there is plenty of these cars out there with no problems at all. These engines are not more problematic than any other car you compare it to, although it may seem that way sometimes. They are more expensive to fix but not more problematic. Remember that people don't go looking for automotive forums very often unless they have a problem that they want resolved.
I must agree with Krashed989.
There are plenty of broken NorthStar engines but those are only a fraction of the millions built and running just fine. The key to long engine/transmission life is routine maintenance. If that takes a back seat, so will you... in a bus or taxi.

I strongly suggest to all forum queries concerning what to look for in a used Cadillac is the maintenance records.

#9 ·
I guess my gut feeling was right. Dealer says it has exhaust gas in the coolant. Could be blown head gasket again, cracked head, or cracked block. Car is outside of 12k warranty because of 16k miles and 10 months since head gaskets were replaced.

Options given are:

1. replace head gaskets again.
2. replace engine
3. buy another car.
4. did i miss something?

If I have them work on engine and heads are bad, then does that mean a new engine anyway?

Anyone know if new engine comes with new heads? How much should I be paying for 1994 STS Engine? Is it brand new engine or rebuilt, whats included on engine?

#10 ·
There have only been a few people with cracked heads. Cracked blocks have seemed a little more common. After disassembly you can tell what to do.

I don't know if there are any "new" engines out there for the 94. There have been changes to the engine along the way.

Heads are available, rebuilt engines are available. There was a recent thread about rebuilt engines. Look for it.

I mentioned this in another thread. A few weeks ago I walked in on a discussion at work...head gasket problems. Caddy was NEVER mentioned til I added it! There were plenty of other brands mentioned, some foreign.

#15 · (Edited)
Timeserts were supposedly completed, I was not there to witness. I am seriously thinking about using some Bars Leak "Head Gasket Repair". Any reason why I should not use this?

Also, dealer mentioned about doing the timeserts again. That, if they take engine apart and se that the timesert came loose, then I would need a new Block. That they cannot do the timesert again. Can someone confirm that for me?

This is really nice car especially compared to new STS we looked at, wife is in tears, she loves her 94 STS, thinks new ones are inferior products. Just dam shame about these head gaskets after only 10 months / 16k miles.

Are new STS Norstar engines having same problems?

#17 ·
rfishing said:
Timeserts were supposedly completed, I was not there to witness. I am seriously thinking about using some Bars Leak "Head Gasket Repair". Any reason why I should not use this?

Also, dealer mentioned about doing the timeserts again. That, if they take engine apart and se that the timesert came loose, then I would need a new Block. That they cannot do the timesert again. Can someone confirm that for me?

This is really nice car especially compared to new STS we looked at, wife is in tears, she loves her 94 STS, thinks new ones are inferior products. Just dam shame about these head gaskets after only 10 months / 16k miles.

Are new STS Norstar engines having same problems?
Bars Leak at this point is a band-aid at best. Exhaust gas in the coolant suggests a cracked or blown gasket. No amount of sealer can bridge that kind of gap and maintain pressure.

The dealer repair did not last, plain and simple. You do have leverage with them if you realize it or not, even if they claim the job had no warranty at all. There are plenty of hungry attorneys that would be willing to take them on, but that does not help you in the short term.

In the short term you need to get the job done right, not necessarily at the same garage.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the responses. After reading through a lot of history and everyones advice, I decided to forget about the Bars Leak Head Gasket fix, and the Steal Seal. Back to either fixing this thing again, or buying a new car.

Does anyone know if the New STS Northstar has problems with headgaskets? If not, I may buy a 2006 STS. Dealer told me they have no problems with them since 2003. I would much rather save a ton of money, and buy a new engine for my 94 Seville STS but dealer cant find one, and they wont use any other engines.

#19 ·
You do not have to use the dealer. Is there an independent garage with a good reputation in your area?

You can buy remanufactured engines with a 3yr warranty. A recent thread gave a bunch of info. You could have this one pulled apart to see what's wrong before buying another.

Rebuilt engine is about 6K (or less) installed. A lot cheaper than a new car.

#21 ·
Dealer seems to want us to get rid of the car. They say, it could cost thousands of dollars over the head gasket job, and since the car is old, we should just get rid of it. They will fix it for us of course, but at minimum price of head gaskets job about 2600. If turns out heads or block is cracked that would be extra. I need to call manufacture and see if they would absord some of the cost, as this is so close to warranty period. Also, calling local shops for cost of them doing the work instead of dealer.

Weird thing is, I never see coolant loss driving locally. Only loses coolant and gets hot when going up through mountain pass. Soon as I get through the pass, temp comes back to normal. I can drive car all day locally (level ground) no problems, coolant level is same next morning. Does that mean this is head gaskets and not a cracked block? I mean if block or heads are cracked, wouldnt I see more coolant loss and overheating?

#22 ·
I'm just keying on one thing you posted and that is, your wife loves this car. If it is in good condition (except of course for the head gasket problem) You could have the gaskets replaced again though I wouldn't go to the dealer for it. I would find the best reputable independant mechanic in your area for the job. My guess is the job should cost around $2,000 unless the heads are damaged and need to be replaced.

Worst case scenario is you have to replace the entire engine. $4,000 should get you the engine, not sure what a shop would charge you to R/R. My guess is you could get a rebuilt engine installed for around $6,000. Can you replace the car for that amount?

Sure, there will be other things that will need attention sooner or later. But consider this, your car in it's present condition is worth nothing in trade, little if any privately. To replace the car with equal or better how much will you have to pay? Will you pay cash? Or will you have to finance and pay added interest?

Just a few things for consideration. You and your wife will have to make the call as you two will have to live with the results of your descision.
Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

#23 ·
My radar is pegged. Cracked head, unusaul. Cracked block, unusual. Cracked head AND block, very unusual. "Dealer seems to want us to get rid of the car". Of coarse, they make a sale and steal the car from you becasue "the engine needs to be replaced, therefor it is worthless". Am I the only one smelling a rat? I'd get a second opinion. May be bad head gaskets and nothing more.

#24 ·
Car is actually in immaculate condition. After head gaskets were replaced 10 months ago, we thought we were keeping the car for a while so we bought new brakes, tires, battery, power steering pump, entire cooling system, even had car tuned up at 70k miles with new wires and all. Car just passed smog last month, and had registration renewed. That is shame of all this matter, car runs perfectly, except going up hill. It is better comfort and interior quality than newer STS we looked at. I cant believe the cheap dashboard in new STS.

My only concerns about re-doing head gasket is; will it blow again, what if the time-serts pulled loose this time, and what is causing this happen?

#26 ·
Ranger said:
My radar is pegged. Cracked head, unusaul. Cracked block, unusual. Cracked head AND block, very unusual. "Dealer seems to want us to get rid of the car". Of coarse, they make a sale and steal the car from you becasue "the engine needs to be replaced, therefor it is worthless". Am I the only one smelling a rat? I'd get a second opinion. May be bad head gaskets and nothing more.
Smells funny to me too. That's why I was throwing out the worst case numbers.
rfishing said:
Car is actually in immaculate condition. After head gaskets were replaced 10 months ago, we thought we were keeping the car for a while so we bought new brakes, tires, battery, power steering pump, entire cooling system, even had car tuned up at 70k miles with new wires and all. Car just passed smog last month, and had registration renewed. That is shame of all this matter, car runs perfectly, except going up hill. It is better comfort and interior quality than newer STS we looked at. I cant believe the cheap dashboard in new STS.

My only concerns about re-doing head gasket is; will it blow again, what if the time-serts pulled loose this time, and what is causing this happen?
If I remember reading his posts correctly, I beleive our best info source said that if timeserts were done properly they were stronger than original?

Anyway, after what you've just posted I would find the best independant as I mentioned before and have him repair the car for you. You know what you have in the car, with the engine properly repaired I would expect at least another 100k miles out of it though no one can say how much for sure.

Once it is repaired watch the sooling system religeously. Make sure it has the GM pellets or Barsleak equivalant in it. Excessive heat ruins engines faster than anything I know of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.