Transmission fluid changes for 4t60E
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission fluid changes for 4t60E in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wondering how religious some of you are out there with trans fluid changes...Or maybe not so religious? I have ...
    zentrade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Transmission fluid changes for 4t60E

Just wondering how religious some of you are out there with trans fluid changes...Or maybe not so religious? I have 66k on my 91 ETC. Trans is shifting SUPERBLY. Shifts as smooth as a hot knife through butter and virtually seamless....But i wonder about the condition of fluid. Its not the nice Magenta color but a light brown almost identical to clean motor oil. No burnt smell, In fact, smells the same as new fluid.
    One might suggest to change it...But i am one who is hung up on all the transmission myths out there. One being if its working fine leave it be. I think i am spooked by two incidents in my trans. fluid change history. Changed fluid on a 1975 Mercury Cougar i had way back when at about 96K miles.....Next few days following, Trans. started slipping. Buddy of mine changed fluid on his 91 Lincoln LSC at higher miles...within a few days...trans slipped as well. Coincidence maybe.

As much is argued about flushes as well, But i think a fluid change by pan drop and filter change the best way. Just looking for thoughts
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    They're just that, myths. Change the fluid, but DO NOT HAVE IT FLUSHED. DEX VI is the current spec, superior and compatible with DEX III.

Re: Transmission fluid changes for 4t60E

Thanks cabb

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm with MC. I usually do mine at 100K. You can wait if you want to, but save the flushing for the toilet.

It's 23 years old and brown. I wouldn't wait.

Oops! I agree. I saw "the nice Magenta color" and quit reading. It's due.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Those myths are not totally myths. I've seen a few cars not even back out of the shop after a fluid change, but they were experiencing problems previously.

Right. Owner neglects transmission (or it just gets old), transmission starts acting up, owner has fluid changed to try and fix the proem. Transmission eventually fails, and the owner blames the fluid change.

FLUSHING is another story. Pressurized fluid stirring up sediment that wasn't doing any harm and/or junk from the last car that was hooked up to the machine can kill a transmission in a hurry.

The myth is that draining and filling with clean fluid will damage the transmission in any way.

DEX2.JPG Is this a decent choice (correct for that matter) Castrol Transmax. Label on back does say for 2005 and OLDER GM

GetOffMyLawn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 STS & 2012 XTS4; previously '96 '01 '03 STS

Question: Why should I not believe the Transmission Fluid sensor and GM's claims of lifetime transmission fluid (except when the sensor says otherwise)? (I don't know about a '91 ETC, but this has been so on all my above models iirc)

I haven't found any official schedule calling for fluid replacement. The only time I see draining and replacement suggested in the manual/TSB's (omitting major problems/procedures) is either when operated outside of normal conditions (overheating tranny) which the sensor is supposed to detect, or in the case of fluid contamination ("strawberry milkshake").

It's of course plausible that the fluid will degrade over an extended period of time and that may itself lead to problems, but where's the hard data or manufacturer recommendations? That's the only real way to fight the myths.

On the 91 ETC, I have no sensor. Just the standard owners manual schedule of 30k miles

Your car came with DEXRON III. It's discontinued, technically, and the new/improved, fully compatible fluid, is DEXRON VI.

Actually the 91 came with Dex II ... So i actually wanted to get DEX IV but the parts guy from a small parts shop that has been in my city for 70 years has an old dude working there since as long as i can remember and im 52 adamantly talked me out of DEX IV His argument didnt seem to be of incompatibility but unnecessary.There was a cost difference i didnt care about.... He seemed to more than me.... I just needed compatibility as my thoughts are any fluid (thats compatible) has a better quality than what the factory installed 23 years ago even if i used a generic brand...But this should do right?

Dexron IV? No such thing. There is a Dexron VI (which is what I suspect you may have meant). It is the new improved latest synthetic version and IS backwards compatable.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyLawn View Post
    Question: Why should I not believe the Transmission Fluid sensor and GM's claims of lifetime transmission fluid (except when the sensor says otherwise)?
    No reason not to believe it.

Yeah, VI, typo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.