1994 won't idle, and runs away
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1994 won't idle, and runs away in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, My 1994 Seville suddenly wouldn't start the other day and I thought it was the Ignition Cylinder. I replaced ...
    DBC
    DBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS

Question 1994 won't idle, and runs away

Okay,
    My 1994 Seville suddenly wouldn't start the other day and I thought it was the Ignition Cylinder. I replaced that and I was told that the only thing that would cause this issue is the ignition switch. So I replaced the ignition switch. Over the weekend the car started dying when it I slowed to a stop. And it would race away from me when I started it. I have replaced the Idle Speed control Motor a couple of months ago when it started accelerating away from me on the freeway. I didn't find any codes at that time but replacing the motor fixed that issue.

I am now getting the following codes:
    P026 (E026) ......................................... Shorted Throttle Signal Switch
    P095 (E095) .................................................. Engine Stall Detected

Can someone help me?!??!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1994 won't idle, and runs away

Start looking for a vacuum leak and don't overlook the manifold over pressurization relief valve.

You might also check that throttle signal switch and clean the internal contacts.

DBC

Okay,
    I found out that the CKT 427 wire from the white connector on my PCM which is supposed to be related to the TPS sensor connector is shorted out? However the wire at the white connector is pink but the wires at the TPS sensor are dark Blue, Green and black? I have no idea which one I need to replace. Also is there a way to check my TPS sensor via the dash diagnostic panel?

DBC

Alright, Pin number 8 on the white connector at the Engine Control Module or PCM or what ever you want to call it, connector is a primary wire that goes to the Idle Control Motor. It is pink and about 22 gauge which is ridiculously small for a wire that is so important. Checking that wire it at the ECM connector by setting my Multi Tester on 200k ohms and touching the wire and a local ground bolt I got a reading of 1.2 ohms and it should be well over 100 ohms so it was shorted out. So cut the pink wire about 4 inches from the plug on the Idle Control Motor and about 4 inches from the ECM plug and I replaced the rest of it with a 12 gauge wire running in it's own loom cover from the Idle Control Motor using just a simple butt connector and some shrink wrap. I had to punch a new small hole in the firewall behind the glove box next to the other wire harness that passes through at that location so I could run the new 12 gauge wire through down to the ECM under the glove box on the passenger sidewall.
    The car still had an issue but I was getting a good 163 ohms or better after I replaced this wire. So I checked the connector at the Idle Control Motor. Testing between connectors A and B and then C and D I should have seen a resistance of about 40 to 80 ohms but again I only got about 1.5 ohms which meant that when the wire shorted out it took out the Idle Control Motor. The wires at the Idle Control Motor are pin A - black/white wire, pin B - pink wire, pin C - dark blue wire, pin D - light blue wire. Sooooo I had to go through the pain of replacing the Idle Control Motor which is quite a pain if you cannot remove the entire Throttle Body bracket. It requires you to at least remove the Air Intake hose, and the Cruise Control unit, which I should say is something you should be careful of because there is a really, really small vaccum hose that is attached to the Cruise Control that is actually hard plastic and easily breaks! Yes, I have to replace that when I get a chance.....
    Everything works perfectly now. I will try and add a few picks of what I did.
    ECM Location.png
    ECM White Connector Pin 8.png

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.