2001 SLS Engine Swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2001 SLS Engine Swap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I enjoy my SLS. In the future I have plans to rebuild the current 4.6 and transmission.. But I've been ...
    eRay87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS

2001 SLS Engine Swap

I enjoy my SLS. In the future I have plans to rebuild the current 4.6 and transmission.. But I've been thinking about a more challenging build.. I would like to get some more performance and with the non existant aftermarket for the northstar I came up with another idea. I would like to take the supercharged 4.4L Northstar from a wrecked 2006 STS-V and do a swap. Has anybody heard of this, or could this be done from a technical standpoint?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 2001 Seville SLS Engine Swap

Sls=fwd, sts-v=rwd.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 2001 SLS Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by eRay87 View Post
    I enjoy my SLS. In the future I have plans to rebuild the current 4.6 and transmission.. But I've been thinking about a more challenging build.. I would like to get some more performance and with the non existant aftermarket for the northstar I came up with another idea. I would like to take the supercharged 4.4L Northstar from a wrecked 2006 STS-V and do a swap. Has anybody heard of this, or could this be done from a technical standpoint?
    =================================
    could this be done from a technical standpoint?
    ANYTHING "can" be done - WITH ENOUGH MONEY -

but - generally speaking - the ONLY "partly" successful hop-up -
    was a turbo-charged Seville - the cost of this mod was north of $15,000 -

in other words - you picked the wrong car -
    there is NOTHING available -

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

It is possible with enough money and time. Last time someone tried this, they were successful but it cost around $60,000 and they were left with a Cadillac shell with a working drivetrain, but no electronics or whatsoever. Google 03 572 Deville.

Remember that the RWD Northstars are completely different engines than the FWD ones.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

If you have so much money you don't know what to do with it, it's possible to convert to RWD. I would never do it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWl5UasH4Zc

Plus the engine is extremely pricey. Probably better off going with an LSX for a swap.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your SLS is what you have. Keep it clean, well maintained and drive it like you stole it.

No, there are no aftermarket goodies - not even a cutesy K&N air filter will give you 0.1135 extra HP. The car already has a CAI that flows more air than the engine can handle at WOT redline. If you feel the need, find a CORSA cat-back exhaust system #14150 - $1250 or so. Sounds decent.

Study the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, read all the sticky posts in any forum of interest, and read the several sticky threads in Engines, Northstar. Lots of stuff for your car in my albums - click my username, open the profile. Left column, 2 albums, 6 pages of Seville diagrams and pictures.

While I appreciate the responses your was neither helpful or necessary cabbage, can you say something more substantial or nothing. I do understand the logistics of fwd - rwd. It's not a matter of having so much money to blow. I can get a very fair price on the 4.4L motor. If i rebuilt to 4.6 I do not know of many performance mods, and I do not know the potential of the 4.6 Northstar. I would like it to make around 450 hp but from what I've read I'm not sure thats possible.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Plenty of posts here that answer your question. I was asking a new member to follow site rules. You'll notice that a moderator has merged your threads. Following the rules makes less work for them, and gets you answers faster.

450 HP is possible. All custom work, ~$16,000. See basscatts post.

Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject in different forums. Threads merged into Seville - the base car forum for your question.

Bottom line: Not possible. Not from a mechanical, engine controls, sensor, drivetrain, emissions, federally legal point.

As I posted earlier, your economy (275 hp, 3.11 final drive) drivetrain is what you're stuck with. With a swap to a 3.71 final drive and a one-off turbo install on an overhauled studded 4.6 Northstar (starting price now about $17,000) you could build a fairly streetable car.

You have been given sound advice from members who have been there, done that on a wide variety of cars. Unfortunately, your (and my) 4.6 FWD Sevilles are NOT the car for experimental swaps. We have what we have.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject.
    While I appreciate the responses your was neither helpful or necessary cabbage, can you say something more substantial or nothing.
    Actually, that was helpful and necessary if you have more than one post on the same subject. He was simply trying to be helpful to a new member. If he hadn't said it one of the Mods would have before we deleted the duplicate thread.

Sorry guys I've been busy with work / family. I greatly appreciate your responses. The 4.6 northstar is such an interesting motor the more I learn about it. The 2001 seville in general is interesting. I was originally bothered by how difficult the car can be but as I learned more about the technology and how he car was engineered I now appreciate it. My father and I have always wanted to build a car. My seville is in good shape, my dad passed it on to me some years ago. I want to do something with it. I've done some thing cosmetically. It's a great concept, I thougt doing a supercharged 469 hp 4.4L swap would be a great build and make a one of a kind cruiser. Being as that is highly improbable. Can a 4.6L be bored a little or stroked a little to get more displacement... Heads, higher compression... Anything...

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Sorry guys I've been busy with work / family. I greatly appreciate your responses. The 4.6 northstar is such an interesting motor the more I learn about it. The 2001 seville in general is interesting. I was originally bothered by how difficult the car can be but as I learned more about the technology and how he car was engineered I now appreciate it. My father and I have always wanted to build a car. My seville is in good shape, my dad passed it on to me some years ago. I want to do something with it. I've done some thing cosmetically. It's a great concept, I thougt doing a supercharged 469 hp 4.4L swap would be a great build and make a one of a kind cruiser. Being as that is highly improbable. Can a 4.6L be bored a little or stroked a little to get more displacement... Heads, higher compression... Anything...
    ---------------------------------
    Can a 4.6L be bored a little
    NOPE -

or stroked a little to get displacement higher.
    NOPE -

Heads, higher compression...
    NOPE -

Anything
    NOPE - nothing - nada - zip - zilch - zero -

you picked the wrong car to modify -

there isn't one single item on any shelf - or in any catalog -
    that can be added - bolted - clamped - taped - glued - stuck on -
    wrapped - welded - plugged in - or any piece that can be removed -
    cut - unplugged - disconnected - poured in - poured on -
    poured over - that will yield one single additional pony of power -
    or gain any measurable fuel economy -

OK - the Corsa exhaust for $1500 might get you a couple HP at redline -
    but that's it -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

As you can see, there is precious little metal for boring.

............. and the cylinder liners are fairly thin, so GM does not recommend boring - they don't even stock oversized pistons. OTHER manufacturers make them, but +.020 is about the limit - that's about a 2.5 cubic inch gain. (+.030 is 5 cubic inches in an Olds 455 - a Northstar is only 3/5 of that displacement - 279 c.i. !) You wanna see some pretty Northstars ? Find the posts by Speedygman and his 1935 Vicky coupe powered by Northstar.

If you want to feel warm and fuzzy after doing a LOT of work, remove the engine, take off the exhaust manifolds and Y-pipe crossunder. There is a little internal welding flash that can be extrude honed out of the manifolds and the interior of the Y junction can be cleaned a tad. Probably one or two ponies up at WOT redline, nothing lower down. Porting does nothing - the 4-valve system was designed for airflow from the start - cleaning things up looks pretty but accomplishes nothing. CHRfab regrinds Northstar cams - but you then need to go to a stand-alone engine management system to run the thing.

Our engines (2000 and later) run a 10.0:1 compression ratio - increasing that to run premium gas won't work because the PCM will not advance timing to take advantage of the higher octane - and you cannot mechanically change timing in any way. larger injectors/higher fuel pressure do nothing either - same problem: The PCM is "flexible" to a very, very limited degree and will NOT compensate for altered airflow, fuel, or mechanical changes. Remember: higher octanes burn slower than 87 - but the timing will not advance far enough to take advantage of the slower burn time, thus keeping the engine from taking advantage of the slightly longer power burn time (degrees of crank rotation). Our engines are set to have a max advance of 35 degrees BTDC - using exclusively higher octanes might let it run up to about 38 or so, but to what advantage ??? Timing advance is at maximum ONLY during low-load highway cruising - any engine drops from 10 to 15 degrees of advance during power demand runs - one of the reasons for the old vacuum advance on a distributor. Our "vacuum advance" is still there, but it's electronically controlled.

Find Moist Cabbage's Thread in this forum - vroom vroom - which contains the before and after dyno runs for a 2000 or later STS with a CORSA exhaust.

Last but not least, you have a SLS - the road driver economy package: 275 hp with a long 3.11:1 final drive, electronically speed limited to 112 mph. Not much to start with in the go-fast department. You mess with the engine, you must mess with the transmission, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.