Cadillac Owners Forum banner

94 Eldorado Rear Pads

654 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
I spend most of the day yesterday replacing the rear disc pads. I was able to use the info in the forums to dig my way through, but this was not as easy and straight forward as was described. I bought the infamous cube and it helped, but was certainly as much of a problem as it was a help. Thank goodness I had my well-used Makita cutoff took as I made the cube small enough to turn inside the caliper housing. The other pips on the cube were hitting, so I now have a Cadillac specific tool. The second problem I had was that the caliper was stuck, so screwing it in was nearly impossible until I got angry enough and hit it with my wrench. This broke loose whatever what keeping it from winding in. I did as most suggested and opened the bleeder valve, but with all the messing around I think I lost more fluid than usual. I had to run the caliper in and out several times to get it to wind all the way in. In so doing I am suspecting air got in. The second side was much easier, because I only took it apart and put it back together once, where side 1 was about 3 times!

When I was finally done, I topped up the Master cylinder, and they seemed to pump up well, but now the ABS light is on. Will this go out when I purge the air by bleeding? If it is not that, anyone have any ideas what would put the ABS light on? I did not disconnect anything except the calipers. The pedal seems solid. Does not sink. I haven't tried the E brake, but I am certain it is working. My car still has under 80K miles. Could the pads have been the originals still? There was about 1/16th of an inch left. Anyway...I would put my job at about 80%. The forums helped and I appreciate the info, but screwing in the caliper, even with the cube was much more involved than simple. Still it is done and this evening I will purge the air and hope that the ABS lights go out. Any ideas would be accepted.

See less See more
#3 ·
Will do...thank you! My wife will move the seat under the dash so she can pump the pedal and I will take my trusty self-bleeder tube and watch the bubbles. I dunno what the wheel speed thingie is but I will llook for dc'd wires and connectors. I was pretty careful not to get too far from home, but the driver's side had a challenging caliper to wind in...so it could have happened!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.