2003 STS - Anything I need to know? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 STS - Anything I need to know? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; All '04 and not sure if all the '03 SLS had the appearance package. Actually the option was more and ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 2003 STS - Anything I need to know?

All '04 and not sure if all the '03 SLS had the appearance package. Actually the option was more and more common on the SLS the closer to '04 we are getting.

My STS has 187K and literally not one single issue, cracked something, missing something, aftermarket something (ok, light bulbs, floor mats, knuckle bushings, front sway bar links and mufflers are aftermarket, but only because OEM are no more, and not talking cheap crap or loud mufflers, I am talking direct replacement whisper quiet). I dare anybody with a 20K '04 to show me a better shape car.

This is a 1-week-old picture, not the very best I was actually testing the camera for glare (no pass), and yes I just had the car washed but only the windows were still wet.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

So, the bottom line is, while high mile cars are not most peoples (including my) first choice, there are some nice high rollers out there that might be worth consideration.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    ...................I dare anybody with a 20K '04 to show me a better shape car.
    Your post, Vasi -

You neglected to add that you have, over the years, literally jacked up the rear view mirror and run a new car under it

(This is the car he took on an 11,000 mile counterclockwise trip around the U.S. and Canada in three weeks without a hiccup.)

starbond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Base

11,000 miles! Wow. It took me almost 2 years to cover that with my driving habits haha.
    There is a silver 02 SLS @ 93,000 miles at a dealer near me asking $4900, which I will go see today. I will not get my hopes up, but you never know..

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

HAHA, actually EVEN the rear mirror is changed, I have the '98+ style with the push buttons, not the '97 and earlier with the slider thing on the bottom.
    But most of the stuff that isn't moving is original, also the engine is all original with the exception of the seals, timing components and studs (not that it needed but is better to have).

And I did had a hiccup in Texas, the driver's side headlamp fuse blew, I had to change it in the morning before heading to Louisiana.
    This year if all goes well:
    Ontario>Michigan>Indiana>Ilinois>Wisconsin>Minneso ta>North Dakota>Montana>Wyoming>Idaho>Washington>Oregon>Cal ifornia>Arizona>New Mexico>Texas>Oklahoma>Kasnssas>Missoruri>Asrkansas >Tennessee>Kentucky>West Virginia>Ohio>Pensilvania>New York>Ontario
    And with that I should have covered all lower 48 at least once.

EDIT: Oh NO, still have to see Main, Vermont, Rhode Island and New Hampshire

Swing through Maryland - the overnight stay is free, food and ale included.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by starbond View Post
    11,000 miles! Wow. It took me almost 2 years to cover that with my driving habits haha.
    There is a silver 02 SLS @ 93,000 miles at a dealer near me asking $4900, which I will go see today. I will not get my hopes up, but you never know..
    Update, another dud. Even though it was only two owners, there was a plethora of DTC including misfire and torque converter failure. On to the next one!
    Bobanna likes this.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Ranger, I know your daughters car has the "appearance package", with the fog lights. Does it also have the extra wood on the door panels?
    The wood trim package for SLS consisted only of the wood trim on the steering wheel and the shift knob. No SLS has ever been available with wood all the way down the doors. If it was, somebody added it aftermarket. Gary did on his '01 SLS.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by starbond View Post
    Update, another dud. Even though it was only two owners, there was a plethora of DTC including misfire and torque converter failure. On to the next one!
    With the Seville line, patience is of the essence. You know, here in NC they had a GORGEOUS 69k mile 2002 STS going for $6k. One owner. All records. If I didn't need a cheap car for college, I'd have another Seville in my driveway. They are some of the finest road cars ever built. I adored mine.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The wood trim package for SLS consisted only of the wood trim on the steering wheel and the shift knob. No SLS has ever been available with wood all the way down the doors. If it was, somebody added it aftermarket.
    I think he was referring to the wood strip along the upper door panel.

Like this

as opposed to this

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I think he was referring to the wood strip along the upper door panel.

Like this

as opposed to this
    That's right Ranger.

Seville SLS:

Seville STS:

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Missing coin holder cover.

Sorry, OCD .

Well, looked at an 01 STS yesterday @ 133k . Previous owner kept all the records. Car pulled brake sensor codes (dealer mech forgot to put them on) and O2 sensor codes as well as various battery reset codes, but no suspension codes. drove it, shifting was a bit rough, probably needs new transmission fluid, and when we got back to the lot the upper radiator hose sprung a leak (oops!). Will keep you updated.. haha

"Probably needs fluid" is NOT a cause to hang your hat on for a rough transmission - walk.

U codes - battery/power related are probably due to the car sitting for weeks. These cars EAT batteries when left on the lot - thus the battery charger cart on every used car lot in the world.

133Kmiles is - pending expensive. You're looking at 10 to 15 year old cars - make sure you have a fat wallet. The reason it's on the Korner Kar Korral lot in the first place is that it was becoming a money pit and it's time to unload it.
    ryannel2003 and Bobanna like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ Big Chief speak da truth!

CaddyInParadise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 STS, and four 4.x DeVilles in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    It's not the mileage, it's the condition. I've seen many high mile cars that are like new in, out & under and many low milers that that were ready for the yard.
    I agree. Having owned five Cadillacs and driving the snot out of them (around 30-50k/year on the highway for work) I can tell you that condition and maintenance are bigger indicators of reliability over age and mileage. I had an 85 Fleetwood FWD with the 4100 that gave me 150k of nearly trouble free miles (rear ended at 260k, still ran perfect) and I had a 93 SDV that I got at 61k and the transmission took a dump shortly thereafter. My current 94 STS has 171k on the clock and does not have a single code, current or history. The previous owner kept up with it and it shows.
    Bobanna likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.