Rear end squeak. Control Arm Bushing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By basscatt
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Rear end squeak. Control Arm Bushing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So the car has developed a squeak/creak from the driver's rear side, shock still seems good but noise can be ...
    fltdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 ELdorado

Rear end squeak. Control Arm Bushing

So the car has developed a squeak/creak from the driver's rear side, shock still seems good but noise can be heard any time pressure is put on the car (getting in, leaning on). I've read that the control arm bushings tend to make this noise and wondered how do you replace? Do I need to do the upper and lower? should both sides be done at the same time? how many per side?

----------

After getting under there the bottom of the shock seems to be where the vibration is the greatest (from what I could reach with the car on the ground).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Rear end squeak. Control Arm Bushing

Quote Originally Posted by fltdriver View Post
    So the car has developed a squeak/creak from the driver's rear side, shock still seems good but noise can be heard any time pressure is put on the car (getting in, leaning on). I've read that the control arm bushings tend to make this noise and wondered how do you replace? Do I need to do the upper and lower? should both sides be done at the same time? how many per side?

----------

After getting under there the bottom of the shock seems to be where the vibration is the greatest (from what I could reach with the car on the ground).
    --------------------
    simply throwing parts at it MIGHT - eventually - find the noisy one -

sounds like you need to isolate WHAT is making the noise -
    THEN we can offer a solution -

a spray can of WD40 could help find the squeak -

spray one moving part at a time -
    start at the BOTTOM -
    and work your way UP -

when the noise stops - you found it -
    fltdriver likes this.

Hit all the bushings, anywhere two pieces connected one by one. Emptied 1/3rd can of WD40 with no result. Jacked the car up, removed wheel then tried to use White Litium Grease in same process but was unable to move the suspension by hand so just thoroughly coated everything again. Lowered car and no more squeak. Wish I would have done them one by one but didn't feel like jacking up/down and removing tire every time. We will see how long this holds out. Heading back out to do the other side now, no noise but probably needs some lube too.

PS Think the PO lied about the shocks being replaced before he bought the car, they have as much build up and rust as the rest of the components as well as a (un)healthy level of rust around the bottom/top bolts. I still would have bought the car if he would have said they haven't, why do people feel the need to lie/embellish? Just be honest, it helps so much with things in the long run.

Hit all the bushings, anywhere two pieces connected one by one. Emptied 1/3rd can of WD40 with no result. Jacked the car up, removed wheel then tried to use White Litium Grease in same process but was unable to move the suspension by hand so just thoroughly coated everything again. Lowered car and no more squeak. Wish I would have done them one by one but didn't feel like jacking up/down and removing tire every time. We will see how long this holds out. Heading back out to do the other side now, no noise but probably needs some lube too.

PS Think the PO lied about the shocks being replaced before he bought the car, they have as much build up and rust as the rest of the components as well as a (un)healthy level of rust around the bottom/top bolts. I still would have bought the car if he would have said they haven't, why do people feel the need to lie/embellish? Just be honest, it helps so much with things in the long run.
    =========================
    PS Think the PO lied about the shocks being replaced before he bought the car,
    well - did the PO say they were replaced with NEW shocks -
    or did you just ASSUME NEW parts were used -

I guess I assumed but who would replaced something like shocks/struts with used ones? Plus it doesn't even look like the nuts and clips have moved anytime recently.

I guess I assumed but who would replaced something like shocks/struts with used ones? Plus it doesn't even look like the nuts and clips have moved anytime recently.
    ----------------------
    who would replaced something like shocks/struts with used ones?
    read some of the old posts - asking about used shocks/struts is NOT that uncommon -
    what some people will do to "save a dime" would blow your mind -

used light bulbs -

your rear shocks are expensive -
    best price new Monroe units are around $115 each -
    OEM ACDelco shocks are around $170 each -

used junkyard $10 each -
    --------------------

NOT saying this is the case -
    just suggesting the POSSIBILITY -

eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

I bought new Gabriel /w air line for $105 last July a pair ,I think they are $111 now at amazon I believe they came with
    free shipping save your factory 90's at the shock. If you do change them let me know and Ill tell you couple of
    shortcuts.
    Struts are something like $59 one side and $66 the other. check rockauto ,carpartkings cardone also, I did. I bought a shopping list of suspension parts, cv's, pads, rotors front hubs, lower control arm w/ballj's and more over about
    five weeks took a 3 day weekend(I took my time) and installed it all.....for around $615. Make an account at amazon
    and while you shop put them in a wish list so you can compare elsewhere. Also start an Alldatadiy account. I figured 2/3 of my total time at $100 an hour which means I saved $1600. total time was actually 24 hours but I like to slow down and learn!!
    Good luck & have fun...Ed

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I would recommend Monroes over Gabriel's.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I would recommend Monroes over Gabriel's.
    ============================== - ABSOLUTELY -

I only replace shocks and struts with monroe. It's always a one and done deal, don't have to do it again, have a set that going to go on my convertible as soon as I get some time for it. I was just counting on getting a quite a few years out of this car before doing them, don't get me wrong the ride is still smooth and everything works as it should, was "mislead" by the PO. The noise came back today (much quieter though), this time I put it on jack stand and jacked under the spring to locate noise. Stopped when I coated where the shock enters the housing. So I went 360* around it, if it comes back she's getting packed with CV joint grease.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    "where the shock enters the housing"? What housing?

it's own housing, where it goes up into the slightly larger section
    40046.jpg.ashx.jpg
    Directly above the washer on the right

I don't really get how it's making the creaking sound but that is what stops it.

Wow, btw autoplicity has them for 103.91

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.