My New 2000 STS and some work to do
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, My New 2000 STS and some work to do in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I finally found my new STS today. It is just what I wanted and it is in very good condition. ...
    jameslaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

My New 2000 STS and some work to do

I finally found my new STS today. It is just what I wanted and it is in very good condition. It has 110K miles and the head gaskets were just replaced along with many other repairs. It is black on black with the moon roof and Bose options. The only thing I can find wrong with it so far is the small compartment in the middle of the dash by the shifter will not open. I pick it up tomorrow and then I will give a full report. For now I can say it runs smooth and strong and seems to be in very good condition. No codes, no leaks, no smoke. Thanks to all who gave advice. It really did help.

Thanks,
    James

After spending a few hours with my new baby I am starting to get to know her a bit better. Until today I had only been on two short test drives in a Seville a 1999 SLS that was junk and the 2000 STS I now own. I like the way it drive but I do need to get the wheels balanced. I did not spend as much time in the car as I would have liked to, suffering with cold kept me in the house most of the day. Now to start taking care of a few problems. I need to get another key and remote, anyone know the best source for these? I also need a jack and wrench, the spare and holder are there just not the rest of it. I see them on eBay so I may just order one that way. I need to find a way to add Bluetooth, not sure what way to go with that yet. Tomorrow I will spend more time and see what I can find both good and bad.

Hi, I just got my 2000 STS with the Bose stereo and as much as I like the sound I miss all the high tech of my other car. I have been looking at replacing the stereo and just wondered what other owners have done. I also am wondering if you can replace the stereo and still use the Bose amp in the car?

Thanks for any help,
    James

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The little compartment uses a very simple mechanism to stay closed. There's probably a coin wedged in there somewhere.

Don't force it. Take the wood trim out and look at it from the back side.

accuab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS
    Don't force it like already said. Get the whole contraption out. Mine had an ink pen down in the bottom jamming it.

My girlfriend got a quarter stuck on each side once. Took it apart, got them out..... A penny a few days later :bigroll; .

You can replace the HU, but you'll need a Metra GMOS-06 integration module. The original HU is part of the anti theft system and serial data bus.

You'll also need another module to maintain steering wheel controls, if the new HU is compatible.

You can replace the speakers, but there are only one or two options. You'll need to use speakers with the same low impedance.

You can add an aftermarket sub and sub amp using line out converters.

If you want to change the amplification to the speakers. You need to start from scratch. HU, amps, speakers and wiring.

What tech are you trying to add?

Re: Replacement stereo options

Thanks for the great info. I had a scare today when I called a local stereo shop and asked them about a new install stating some of the facts you mentioned, the guy had no idea what he was talking about. I think I found my solution. I installed a new stand alone nav and I have a Bluetooth FM transmitter on order. So now I will have nav and Bluetooth the things I was missing.

Re: My New 2000 STS

I figured it out, the middle compartment that is. I pulled the center console and I found a little tab popped out on each side of the spring door. I just pushed then down and they both popped into position. Now it works great. Thanks for the help.

You can get PK3 keys and replacement fobs on ebay. The fobs (both the one you already have, and the "new" one) have to be paired to the car at the same time with a Tech II - at a GM dealership.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Replacement stereo options

You will probably find out that a 5" (or even 7") Garmin GPS is faster and more accurate than any of the OEM NAV disc-driven installs - and many of them now come with free lifetime (annual) map updates - simply plug the unit and data cable into your PC and download the software. Takes about 40 minutes for the entire lower 48 and Canada.

For our cars (2000 - 2004) I think map update discs stopped in ??? 2007 ???

I use this site for a LOT of boat and car/truck stuff. http://www.thegpsstore.com/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.