2002 STS trunk leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2002 STS trunk leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently bought a 2002 STS. I live in an area with a lot of rain fall. My trunk was ...
    jasonread3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 seville STS

2002 STS trunk leak

I recently bought a 2002 STS. I live in an area with a lot of rain fall. My trunk was leaking and had built up a lot of water. I have since re-glued and set all the trunk rubber seals. Still am getting a small amount of water coming into the trunk from somewhere. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas on other trouble areas that may need re-sealed? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2002 STS trunk leak

EVERYONE has experience this. It was a standard feature. Check the body seams and the tail light seals.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

I just had a bout with that issue and my problem was the lip on the trunk seal that is on the body side was letting water in behind the seal lip where it contacts the body metal and would travel down the channel between the trunk seal and the lip, when it reached a vertical area it would flow around the trunk lip into the trunk
    I put a bead of loc-tite gasket maker from a pressurized can all the way across the top and down both sides to below the vertical area and now no leaks.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    EVERYONE has experience this. It was a standard feature. Check the body seams and the tail light seals.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Mine was a leaky quarter panel seam.

Thanks for the info guys! I assumed it must be a common issue.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Here you go - and this only scratches the surface - take out "2002" and do a search again - more and more.

There's also a ton of info on your Seville Seville Touring Sedan down in Cadillac Tech Tips.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cadillac+forums...trunk+leak&l=1

centaur is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Past:94,95,97,98,99 STSs, Now: 2001 STS (W-rated)

The cure I've found and used on many of these cars, has been to remove and reseal the trunk weatherstripping adhesive at the bottom and cut a small hole in each outside edge at the bottom corner of the seal. Strangely, there are little holes in the weatherstripping's flawed design, which face somewahat inward and the seal fills with water and then dumps it into the trunk spare tire well.

With this fix, as the seal fills up, it will will just drain out the the two holes and down each side of the bumper. I've fixed about six 98-04 Sevilles like this already and the trunks all stayed bone dry afterwards. The new updated seal from GM had the hole positions moved to avoid this, so buying the revised one is also an option.

Thank you for the info! I ended up drilling a small hole in the spare tire wheel well. I then removed all seals and glue. Re-glued and sealed. Also sealed the top edge closest to the back window. No leaks yet, hoping to stay that way!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.