Help finding clunk from front-end
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help finding clunk from front-end in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2001 STS has developed a clunk in the front, and I'm having a heard time pinpointing the cause. (Around ...
    ocgltd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Help finding clunk from front-end

My 2001 STS has developed a clunk in the front, and I'm having a heard time pinpointing the cause. (Around 4000km ago I had the engine out for a head studs job - in case that's a clue).

Sometimes I hear it going up a curb (pulling into the driveway) when the FR wheel goes up. I can sometimes reproduce it steering left-right-left-right at low speed (I haven't tried at high speed for obvious reasons).

It sounds like it comes form the center of the engine compartment, and its a heavy CLUNK sound. It doesn't feel like the clunk is coming up the steering column.

My guesses are:

1. engine mount loose
    2. ball joint
    3. stabilizer bar bushing
    4. strut
    5. anything that moves under the hood

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Re: Help finding clunk from front-end

Do a double check of the cradle mounting bolts. sounds like cradle shifting, maybe not tightened when engine work was done.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ocgltd View Post
    My 2001 STS has developed a clunk in the front, and I'm having a heard time pinpointing the cause. (Around 4000km ago I had the engine out for a head studs job - in case that's a clue).

Sometimes I hear it going up a curb (pulling into the driveway) when the FR wheel goes up. I can sometimes reproduce it steering left-right-left-right at low speed (I haven't tried at high speed for obvious reasons).

It sounds like it comes form the center of the engine compartment, and its a heavy CLUNK sound. It doesn't feel like the clunk is coming up the steering column.

My guesses are:

1. engine mount loose
    2. ball joint
    3. stabilizer bar bushing
    4. strut
    5. anything that moves under the hood

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?

The engine actually came out the top, so cradle should be tight. But I'll check the bolts...

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Based on your description I think your could pretty much rule out a motor mount.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

swaybar link -

swaybar bushing -

broken/loose steering rack -

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Torn rubber in the strut mount?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The shake has nothing to do with the sway bar.

ocgltd, have you checked the control arm bushings?

OK - I found something! I discovered that on left hand control arm there is a stopper (looks like a 5" piece of black pipe with rubber bushings) for the sway bar, but on the right hand side it is missing. (and I can see shiny metal where it used to be mounted).

I don't know what this piece is called, but perhaps the sway bar swings too far down and hits the control arm now? Could this be my clunk?

Would someone know what this piece is called? (I'm guessing it's a dealer only piece).

OK - I found something! I discovered that on left hand control arm there is a stopper (looks like a 5" piece of black pipe with rubber bushings) for the sway bar, but on the right hand side it is missing. (and I can see shiny metal where it used to be mounted).

I don't know what this piece is called, but perhaps the sway bar swings too far down and hits the control arm now? Could this be my clunk?

Would someone know what this piece is called? (I'm guessing it's a dealer only piece).
    --------------------------------
    sway bar link - should be one on each side -

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This help Any?

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...042&SortKey=18

Parts 18/19/20/32 combined looks like the tube & bolts that I need. Is this available as a kit? (is 37 the whole kit?)

Am I interpreting the picture correctly: that the sway bar floats above the tube, and only pushed down on the tube when the other wheel drops?

Or should the sway bar be permanently connected to the control arm? (Should bolt 18 go through the control arm, through the sway bar, and secure them together? (On my car one side is missing the tube (32) and both sides the end of the sway bar seems to have a strange bolt and bushings attached but free from the control arm.) I'm wondering if maybe the bolt is broken on both sides?

On both sides the sway bar has a rubber bushing on each side of the sway bar end, and a bolt through it with a strange bolt on the bottom...looks like twisted metal. I'm starting to thing may the bolt is broken on BOTH sides?

Parts 18/19/20/32 combined looks like the tube & bolts that I need. Is this available as a kit? (is 37 the whole kit?)

Am I interpreting the picture correctly: that the sway bar floats above the tube, and only pushed down on the tube when the other wheel drops?

Or should the sway bar be permanently connected to the control arm? (Should bolt 18 go through the control arm, through the sway bar, and secure them together? (On my car one side is missing the tube (32) and both sides the end of the sway bar seems to have a strange bolt and bushings attached but free from the control arm.) I'm wondering if maybe the bolt is broken on both sides?

On both sides the sway bar has a rubber bushing on each side of the sway bar end, and a bolt through it with a strange bolt on the bottom...looks like twisted metal. I'm starting to thing may the bolt is broken on BOTH sides?
    ---------------------------
    Parts 18/19/20/32 combined looks like the tube & bolts that I need.
    Is this available as a kit? (is 37 the whole kit?)

SWAY BAR LINK -
    MOOG K5255 - less than $6 per side -

OK - I'll have to look into the sway bar link for each side. A couple more questions:

1. I found some comments online about 19 vs 21 mm bars. Would I have to ask the dealer for the size based on my vin?

2. Is this a DIY job? I also read that you need a lift to do this job...

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The STS Would have the thicker bar, but that makes no difference, same links. It's an easy DIY job with a jack and stands.

I there a link for how to do this job? (Only 2 postings I found say you need a lift).

I'm guessing you need to lift both front sides at once, then sway bar should be free?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.