Front end too high after Monroe strut replacement.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Front end too high after Monroe strut replacement. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I dropped my wife 01 Eldo off with replacement Monroe front struts and told the guy that I had ...
    bigmoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ETC

Front end too high after Monroe strut replacement.

Well I dropped my wife 01 Eldo off with replacement Monroe front struts and told the guy that I had heard that care must be taken to follow the instructions because if assembled wrong the car can sit too high. Today I was looking at her car and it is obviously too high. What can I tell him he did wrong when I call him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Front end too high after Monroe strut replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
    Well I dropped my wife 01 Eldo off with replacement Monroe front struts and told the guy that I had heard that care must be taken to follow the instructions because if assembled wrong the car can sit too high. Today I was looking at her car and it is obviously too high. What can I tell him he did wrong when I call him?
    -------------------------------
    What can I tell him he did wrong when I call him?

I assume you got the Monroe 90011 KIT -

the mechanic did NOT follow the instructions -
    and installed the upper mount assembly incorrectly -

my guess is that he has done LOTS of struts in the past -
    SO - HE DON'T NEED NO STINKING INSTRUCTIONS -

once or twice a year we get these messages -
    and it is ALWAYS installer error -
    here is one from last June -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-shock-2.html

fast forward to post #113 - highlights below -
    ----------------

Anyways...FINAL CONCLUSION (drum roll please):

I was able to match them up with the photo
    and determine the orientation of the plate in question.

The plate was installed incorrectly,
    with it's flat bevel facing rearwards.
    It should have been installed rotated 90 degrees
    so that flat bevel faces outwards, towards the wheel,
    and lined up with the lower seat plates
    which are attached to the strut.

Due to the angled nature of the upper plate,
    this improper positioning is what was causing the ride height issue.

Anyways, case closed. Aftermarket shop techs can't follow simple instructions,
    -------------------------
    ------------------------

the struts must be removed -
    then disassembled -
    the upper mount turned to the correct position -
    re-assembled -
    and re-installed -

Monroe has a TECHS HOTLINE -
    1-734-384-7809

I called the tech line. He sent me a pdf of the instructions I already have. The printed instructions I have in hand have a picture showing the proper orientation of the Upper Spring Seat and the writings beside it are so tiny I can barely read it. In the pdf he sent it's clear enough to read. "ALIGN FLAT ON UPPER SPRING SEAT WITH CLEVIS OPENING". I'm assuming the clevis is the part on the bottom of the strut where the lower bolt goes. I told him there needs to be clearer instruction and a warning in the instructions. Who knows if that will happen.

I called the tech line. He sent me a pdf of the instructions I already have. The printed instructions I have in hand have a picture showing the proper orientation of the Upper Spring Seat and the writings beside it are so tiny I can barely read it. In the pdf he sent it's clear enough to read. "ALIGN FLAT ON UPPER SPRING SEAT WITH CLEVIS OPENING". I'm assuming the clevis is the part on the bottom of the strut where the lower bolt goes. I told him there needs to be clearer instruction and a warning in the instructions. Who knows if that will happen.
    -----------------------

well - those types of kits have been around for a LONG time -
    tens of thousands - if not hundreds of thousands of kits have been sold -
    with only a handful of problems -

even with your verbal warning - and the instructions - he screwed it up -
    oh well - I assume he is going to make it right -

Well I had the car back to my mechanic. He showed me the upper spring seat. It's installed correctly. I can feel the flat edge and it's on the outward side like it's supposed to be. He was aware of the height difference when he did the work and double checked everything at the time. He's blaming the spacer which is quite thick. He said he had a heck of a time getting the old springs compressed enough to put everything together. I re-measured the car and it seems it has settled about a 1/2" but it's still over 2" higher in the front. I've sent the most recent findings to the Monroe tech I talked to.

Well I had the car back to my mechanic. He showed me the upper spring seat. It's installed correctly. I can feel the flat edge and it's on the outward side like it's supposed to be. He was aware of the height difference when he did the work and double checked everything at the time. He's blaming the spacer which is quite thick. He said he had a heck of a time getting the old springs compressed enough to put everything together. I re-measured the car and it seems it has settled about a 1/2" but it's still over 2" higher in the front. I've sent the most recent findings to the Monroe tech I talked to.
    -------------------------
    it's still over 2" higher in the front
    the ONLY thing that can cause that is improper installation -

Well things have only gotten worse. The kit was installed correctly. Instructions were poured over to ensure everything was done right. The car sits way high in front. I emailed the guy I was talking to on the tech line. He replied, "Give me a call, I know what need to be done to fix this problem". Not sure why he didn't put it in the email so I call him and he says he's looked further into the files pertaining to this kit and my model car. I need to remove those thick spacers at the top. I asked if he was sure everything would operate properly. Yes he said, just remove the spacers. So this morning I took the car back to my mechanic. He pulled one side out and looked at it and called me to say he couldn't remove the spacer because things would not work properly. Things would bind. There's no where for the bearing ring to ride on. There would be metal on metal. I gave him the tech guys phone number. All he did was send my installer another pdf of the instructions. So now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I checked the Monroe site to see if there is anyone else to contact but there is only technical assistance. I've emailed the tech guy again and it took a lot of self control to remain civil. I'll post what he says when I get the reply.

Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

I agree with Basscat that the incorrect install is the most likely culprit. It was in my case (in the thread linked above).

An alternative solution would be to have your mechanic reinstall your OEM upper spring plates, insulators and mounts (basically, everything above the spring), provided he still has them. Doing this solved the problem when I had it and didn't realize until later that the real problem was with the install.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I agree with Basscat that the incorrect install is the most likely culprit. It was in my case (in the thread linked above).

An alternative solution would be to have your mechanic reinstall your OEM upper spring plates, insulators and mounts (basically, everything above the spring), provided he still has them. Doing this solved the problem when I had it and didn't realize until later that the real problem was with the install.
    My mechanic suggested using the original upper parts but of course they are long gone. I'm not sure why Monroe would say remove the spacer. I did an accurate measurement on a level floor and measured from the lower lip of the rim and the front is exactly 2" higher than the back. You say wrong install was the culprit on yours but what was done wrong on your install?

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

I would have the flathead-mechanic return it the previous condition and make sure the all the pt numbers match. You may need an attorney to sort this expensive instance of incompetence. This is a very costly repair. You truly need (Cadillac)experienced wench heads. Do you think you jumped the gun on the good deal maybe??? With out thinking???

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Any decent mechanic can put struts in... there have been a few issues with those kits and the mounts. Most if not all the problems were mounts incorrectly installed. A couple have ended up with new GM mounts to solve the issues IIRC.

Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

My mechanic suggested using the original upper parts but of course they are long gone. I'm not sure why Monroe would say remove the spacer. I did an accurate measurement on a level floor and measured from the lower lip of the rim and the front is exactly 2" higher than the back. You say wrong install was the culprit on yours but what was done wrong on your install?
    The upper seat plates were rotated incorrectly. Take a look at Basscat's post #2 above, at what's in bold, and the link he posted. That explains my story.

To be completely honest, I never got the strut assembly height issue fixed using only the Monroe parts. I (nor any of the other so-called "experts" I had look at my car) didn't notice the plates were rotated incorrectly until after they had been removed and replaced with OEM parts, which I had to repurchase at stealership prices since my originals had been trashed. At that point, I was able to compare some markings on the Monroe plates with some photos I had taken of the installed assembly in order to determine that the upper plates had been oriented wrong.

If all else fails (and I mean ALL else), you could do what I did and buy OEM mounts, upper seat plates, and insulators (at non-stealership prices this time), and have those reinstalled. The only problem will be the upper seat plates as I'm pretty sure those aren't made anymore so you'll have to find them salvaged.

========================
    here is a pic if a properly assembled strut -
    happens to be for a Deville - not an eldo -
    but notice the alignment -

I stand behind my mechanic who has gone above and beyond on this for me. The upper plates were installed correctly from the start. The flat portion faces outward toward the tire or in the same direction as the clevis points on the strut as seen in Basscat's assembled photo. I'm also mystified why the Monroe tech would tell me that after some research into others problems he said the solution was to remove the spacer. It's not physically posible for the assembly to work properly after the spacer is removed. The Monroe design with the 90011 is a different animal with this spacer and bearing ring and a really deep upper spring plate. It looks different from Basscat's picture.

I stand behind my mechanic who has gone above and beyond on this for me. The upper plates were installed correctly from the start. The flat portion faces outward toward the tire or in the same direction as the clevis points on the strut as seen in Basscat's assembled photo. I'm also mystified why the Monroe tech would tell me that after some research into others problems he said the solution was to remove the spacer. It's not physically posible for the assembly to work properly after the spacer is removed. The Monroe design with the 90011 is a different animal with this spacer and bearing ring and a really deep upper spring plate. It looks different from Basscat's picture.
    =====================
    I stand behind my mechanic
    mighty strange that YOURS is the ONLY one -
    out of the ten's of thousands - maybe hundred's of thousands of kits sold -
    that doesn't fit correctly -

----------------
    It looks different from Basscat's picture.
    as I stated -
    the pic I supplied is the strut for a DEVILLE - not an Eldo -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.