How do I get to the BCM
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, How do I get to the BCM in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I can't get the back seat off to check the BCM, is the a trick to it? Do I have ...
    fltdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 ELdorado

How do I get to the BCM

I can't get the back seat off to check the BCM, is the a trick to it? Do I have to access it through the trunk? Any help would be appreciated.

I've got the bottom seat out but can't figure out the back rest. I tried going at it from the trunk but the nuts holding the black plastic casing don't want to move. I'm losing patience with this freakin seat. Do I even need to remove the backrest or is the BCM on that black plastic casing/or accessed with it out of the way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: How do I get to the BCM

Access it through the trunk.

As I was taking the upper bolts of from the trunk side the back seat finally gave way, thanks though.

N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

There is no BCM; the correct terminology is PZM.

It is accessible once removing the rear seat back rest.
    Normally should be accessible from inside the vehicle but the plastic tray housing the rear electronics bay components can be unclamped once the seat rest top screws are removed (plus 2 more for the tray). It can be flipped down into the trunk, the wires are long enough to allow the movement. But again the tray is meant to be accessed from the inside the vehicle.

Sorry, that's just what/where the instructions said "NOTE #3: the BCM is located behind the Drivers side of the Rear Seat back, it has (2) plugs

labled C1 and C2."

What does PZM stand for?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

BTSOM

N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

PZM = PLATFORM ZONE MODULE.

The '98+ gen V design with DIM and RIM (the equivalent of PZM in gen IV) was intended for long time.
    Before use to be called Body Control Module (BCM) but it took too may wires to run from the various places in the vehicle all the way to the BCM. So they idea was let's split it in more localized modules having just 1 wire (data line) in between.
    The PZM was renamed before actually being split and funny enough once split it was renamed again to Rear Integration Module (deals with controls located in the rear side of the body) and Dash Integration Module (dealing mostly with the front side of the body).
    There ared few modules with an interesting name/history:
    "PCM" - Powertrain Control Module (not just ECM) as it deals with the transmission too.
    "RIM" - Radio Integration Module up to '95 accurate terminology, later on '96-'97 (Seville, -'99 Deville, -'02 Eldorado) was incorrect as the module function was a Sound Processing Module (not dealing at all with the Radio). In gen V it was renamed AMP when the name kind of became again not very accurate (AMP is one of the functions, it also includes the sound processing earlier functions).
    RIM vs RIM (Radio Integration Module vs. Rear Integration Module) confusion with gen IV and gen V Seville, further more up to '02 same module (RIM) had different meaning in different models.

Back to PZM/DIM/RIM, well gen IV PZM+IPC functions were spread in between IPC+DIM+RIM (mainly IPC lost some of its functions to the DIM).

Generally since they started adding electronics to the vehicles the trend was towards integration (lesser modules/more functions in one module), with the exception of the body functions where the current was to create zonal modules (rather than per function modules).
    The goal is cost reduction, weight reductions (lesser wires), faster assembly times.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.