85 Eldo fender bender. Energy Absorber unit question.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 85 Eldo fender bender. Energy Absorber unit question. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, while backing up my beloved automobile in a tight alley, I failed to noticed a reinforced fence behind ...
    scottelderado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100

85 Eldo fender bender. Energy Absorber unit question.

Hi guys, while backing up my beloved automobile in a tight alley, I failed to noticed a reinforced fence behind me and hit it with my left rear bumper. Bumper is pushed in a few inches, but nothing is damaged except for the pushed in bumper and Energy Absorber unit, (which I now know exists). The EA appears to have done its job and absorbed energy, but according to the FSM it's supposed to push out on its own. Ain't doing that. I was about to go to a body shop, but figured I should ask if anyone here could give me advice. The bumper is pushed in, and bent below the license plate in the middle, but it isn't like folded or crimped, and I think it'd be fine if the EA pushed out. FSM doesn't give much info, except, basically, be sure to replace the EA. I'm tempted to whack the EA flange with a mallet or rig a jack to push it out. Should I try that?

Also, if I should replace the EA, is such a part gonna be available? I checked NAPA and Rock Auto, got zero.

Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 85 Eldo fender bender. Energy Absorber unit question.

I have a little more info. Called AC Delco today and they provided the correct part number for the energy absorber: GM# 22041720, Delco# 509-206. Nobody anywhere has it that I can find except for gmpartsgiant.com for $100.

Could be worse. Hope I can just pull it out and drop the new one in.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Get a used one, bet they're not $25... Alternative is to chain it and straighten it back out

Thanks. Both those thoughts crossed my mind. I'd buy a used one if I could find one. Checked ebay and checked google results for the part number looking for one.

I wrapped a chain around it to see how it'd fit. If pulled taut/horizontal by a car, it would pull up against the bumper and I'd be afraid I'd dent/damage it. Maybe I can figure a way to angle it. Tried yanking it by hand, but got nowhere. I don't think there's any pressure inside it anymore. I think before I order that $100 one I'll pull the existing one out and try to stretch it out.

Interesting description of the Energy Absorber: http://www.tech-cor.com/AutoResBulle...1-5/1991-5.htm

Tried to pull the Energy Absorber today. Took out all the bolts, but it wouldn't budge. I decided screw it, and dug into my skill set from when I was poor and owned a Jeep CJ-7.

Step 1: Take bolts off relevant side of bumper.
    2: Put bike U-lock between the two parts of the EA, whack with hammer until it spreads a bit.
    3: Insert floor jack (see attached). Jack until the EA spreads most of the way out.
    4: Insert 2x4 between EA, whack it until the EA is as extended as the other one.
    5: Call it a win.

Car looks fine.

JackedEA.JPG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.