Thinking of a HG repair, what else would be recommended?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Thinking of a HG repair, what else would be recommended? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    JHowdy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Past: 1994 DeVille Concours / Present: 1997 Seville STS

Thinking of a HG repair, what else would be recommended?

Hi, I'm thinking of taking my 1997 Seville STS with 95.000 miles to a HG repair, with new inserts. The cost for it would be - hold your hats - 3000€ (4100$). That's the half of the value of the whole car, so I need to think of it very carefully. The previous owner of this STS is thinking of paying one third of the HG repair cost, what a real gentleman!

But what else would be recommended to be done at the same time when the engine and transmission are off the car? Previously I had a 1994 Deville Concours with a malfunctioning transmission speed sensor (P056 error code and very rough action). Will this be an issue in the 1997 models also and should thus be replaced now? All transmission filters? I've heard that one of the filters can be changed only when the tranny is off the car?

I have no oil leaks, but the engine is burning 1qt of 5W-30 oil every 2000miles and I think that the piston rings could be replaced too.

Something else? Thank you for your thoughts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Thinking of a HG repair, what else would be recommended?

Remember if you crack the bottom end open the costs go up. If nothing wrong with trans I would let it be.
    If the rear main is leaking it's the perfect time to fix.

I forgot to say that having the piston rings changed would cost me another 500€ (680$). Haven't asked about the trans maintenance cost yet.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Why would you want to change the rings?

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

You are using the wrong oil, for pre '00 vehicle the correct oil is 10W30 unless you are in very cold climate (never above ??? ~32*F).

If you take the engine off change ALL seals, change the TCC solenoid, all filters in the tranny, maybe have a look at the coolant cross over and timing chain tensioners.
    American cars usually require no rings, sleeves and generally bottom end components, especially on the NorthStar engine, that is the thing for European (especially French and Italian) or Japanese cars.

Well, my mistake. When I told the repair shop that the engine burns oil and asked them maybe it's the rings?, they didn't question that, just gave me the price for that job. Thank you for the correction.

You may find it difficult to believe, but there are no API standard 10W30 oils available here in Finland from Mobil or other trustworthy manufacturers. That's because we mainly have post 1990 European and Japanese cars here, that mostly use 10W40, 0W50 and such oils. The only 10W30's I've found are either meant for post '00 diesel engines or are of unknown brand (Swedish Biltema, that sells mostly cheap aftermarket auto parts and crappy Chinese accessories). I've thought about the latter oil option, but haven't used it yet. Besides, it's been winter time here and temperatures have been mostly below 32F (0'C).

If I may ask your opinion, what would you recommend then: synthetic or semisynthetic 10W40 in the summer time, or synthetic 5W30 all year round, or perhaps that mineral based 'Biltema' API SL/CF 10W30 (G only knows who and where has made it). You won't undertand a word from this, but just for the fun: http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Autonhoito/...y-10W30-36968/ I know price doesn't always compare to quality, but this oil is four times cheaper than any 'proper' oil brand.

If you cannot get 10W30 and you have to choose between 5W30 and 10W40, I's opt for the 10W40.

As for the rings being worn, that just doesn't happen on these motors because of the oil usage you are experiencing. Note the factory cross hatch hone pattern still visible in these 130K & 170K cylinder walls. While no one likes oil usage, it DOES have a positive side.
    Attached Images
    JHowdy and markmnj like this.

Thank you! My previous 1994 Concours burned (and leaked) 1qt oil every 3000-4000 miles (between the oil change intervals, so no adding needed) but this Seville burns (without leaking) 1qt every 1800-2000miles and I concidered that to be (at least a bit) alarming. If not, I can tolerate it.

1qt every 1800-2000 miles is perfectly normal. There are many people who would be very envious of you.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

That is how my cylinders looked on a 119k mile 97.
    They just don't seem to wear. The bearings all looked as unused also.
    Of course you have no way to know how badly it was abused before you bought it. But it's not likely.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If you cannot get 10W30 and you have to choose between 5W30 and 10W40, I's opt for the 10W40.

As for the rings being worn, that just doesn't happen on these motors because of the oil usage you are experiencing. Note the factory cross hatch hone pattern still visible in these 130K & 170K cylinder walls. While no one likes oil usage, it DOES have a positive side.

I saw a ~'94 N* block opened after almost 400K Miles, the block was cracked (owner used water instead of coolant in winter) but the cylinder walls were as pictured in post #7.

Many years ago I saw a French 1.2l, 4 cyl. engine (Renault) with removable sleeves, after around 60K the sleeves diameter was enlarged >1mm by the rings, basically now it was a 1.2x engine . And yeah...blue smoke.

^I too get some blue smoke at cold starts. It doesn't happen every time, but happened again this morning. No blue smoke when the engine has warmed up. If not the rings, is it the valves or HG condition that creates those Blue Clouds of V8 Thunder over my shoulder ? I'll have to decide pretty soon about the HG repair.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

JHowdy, please consider using our Northstar Head Stud Kit. www.northstarperformance.com

N*Caddy has had is STS studded by me last year as well.

Also, when you have the heads off you can do a ring-soak the best way possible. Carb cleaner sprayed around the pistons directly and let sit. That will help free up sludge in the ring grooves and that can help reduce your oil consumption as well.

97EldoCoupe, I've heard good things about those Northstar Performance stud kits (instead of the 'common' inserts). I'm not skilled to do the job myself and therefore I'm in the mercy of what service I can get here 'north-east of Detroit'. I can ask if the service shops have ever used one those kits. Thank you.

If you are northeast of Detroit then you are 1h away from NorthStar Performance, just a short hop over the bridge.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.