Soon to be New Cadillac Owner, Buying a 2001 STS (86K Miles) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Soon to be New Cadillac Owner, Buying a 2001 STS (86K Miles) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Rather than hanging a qualifier such as "I could be wrong", or "correct me if I am wrong" as your ...
    JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Soon to be New Cadillac Owner, Buying a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS (86K Miles)

Rather than hanging a qualifier such as "I could be wrong", or "correct me if I am wrong" as your "answer" to a question. why not provide accurate / useful information? Or nothing at all.

Since 1980, North American vehicles have designated the model / year information as the 10th VIN character. Because of the possibility of misteaks, not all letters are used and fewer than 10 numbers are used.

My 1998 Seville (a North American vehicle) had a VIN 10th character of W.
    My 2004 Deville (a North American vehicle) had a VIN 10th character of 4.

W = 1998
    X = 1999
    Y = 2000
    Z = Not used
    1 = 2001
    2 = 2002
    3 = 2003
    4 = 2004

European Union countries use their own system to register the year / models of Jag-U-ars, Bavarian Motor Weapons and other "domestic" vehicles. How that scheme is applied to North American or Asian vehicles is a mystery to me.

And do not allow me to get started on the absurdity of 1999 being the worst year for head gasket failure (or a failure of any kind).

DJP1990 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville STS 136k Miles / 95 Volkswagen Polo 6n

Re: Soon to be New Cadillac Owner, Buying a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS (86K Miles)

Offtopic:
    I'm sorry, I was wrong and will only post next time when I know something for sure.
    I do not willingly mean to post inaccurate information, I do my best to help where I can.

But you are right, inaccurate information will only provide 'static', my appologies.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Soon to be New Cadillac Owner, Buying a 2001 STS (86K Miles)

As posted by JimD, here's the breakdown of the 2000 - 2004 Seville VIN character definitions.

Many overseas countries (OUTUS) use the date of first registration as the "model year". But the driver's door sticker gives the actual build date. The GM "model year" runs from about 07/YR to 06/YR - My 2002 Seville build ran from 07/01 to 06/02. We have a member who drives a "2001" STS but it was built in early 1999 - a VERY different car from a 2001.

jameslaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

First off thanks to everyone for all the great advice. Secondly I just test drove the car and wow is not for me, not this particular one any way. The guy selling told me about the windows and the door issue but he forgot to mention the broken trim, bad paint and really rough running motor. It was just in terrible condition. I still want a 1998 to 2004 STS I just need to keep looking. I fly for free so if you know of a good deal anyplace in the US let me know. I can always go pick one up. I will let you all know when I find my STS.

Thanks,
    James

SavvySeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Seville SLS

Good luck in your quest of finding your STS.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The newer F55 (Magnetic Ride Control) Seville TS was built from 01-15-02 to 06-03. There is no "2004" STS. ALL Seville production ceased in 12-03, so the last SLS was built in the "2004" model year - not the STS.

2000 saw the change to roller cams and coil-on-plug ignition. Two VERY big reasons (among hundreds) to stay away from a pre-2000 car.

Still no luck finding my STS. I am planning on looking at a 2000 and a 2002 tomorrow, wish me luck.

Thanks,
    James

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Rule of thumb for most cars, but especially Cadillac's: Buy the nicest, lowest mileage example you can with service records and all. Coolant changes are crucial to these cars as evidenced by the Northstar head gasket issues. The lady who owned my 2000 STS maintained everything except the coolant and at 54k miles guess what... it blew a head gasket. Also, don't assume the '00+ cars are immune either (as evidenced by my 54k mile STS) because I have seen a few more of them pop up lately. Honestly, if I were buying Seville STS I'd stick to strictly '02+ STS models. Most of the bugs were worked out and they offered up the aftermentioned F55 suspension which is cheaper to replace and better handling than previous CVRSS models.

I made a video two years back highlighting some common Seville issues, so check it out:

Still no luck in my search for a decent STS. I saw a 2000 yesterday that was a joke. It idled rough, the A/C blew hot on the driver side and it smelt of burnt oil. It also had an aftermarket sunroof. I am going to look at a 2002 with 110K miles on it that has had the head gaskets, replaced along with all belts, hoses and a bunch of other stuff. Wish me luck.

eldoradogary is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillc Eldorado 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Don't know where you are located but here's a 2001 in my area, looks decent, miles getting up there but price is reasonable.
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4396912837.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.