Looking for a 2003 STS. What about the condition should I not tolerate? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Looking for a 2003 STS. What about the condition should I not tolerate? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Frankly, if you find one that is pleasing to the eye, I'd then conentrate on mechanical stuff. Do a block ...
    Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

Re: Looking for a 2003 STS. What about the condition should I not tolerate?

Frankly, if you find one that is pleasing to the eye, I'd then conentrate on mechanical stuff. Do a block test. This is the difinitive test to see if the head gaskets are blown. Check the vehicle profile and position of the rear wheels in relation to the fender. The vehicle should have a slight rake forward. (See Submariners pics) If the rear seems to be sagging the shocks are probably bad. Also check for leaks in the front shocks. The 2003's are all F55 magnaride cars and the shocks and struts run about $600 a piece. Test drive it and feel for vibrations being tranmitted through the wheel at various speeds. These cars are very sensitive to out-of-balance conditions. This can usually be fixed with a good road force tire/wheel balance, but there are a lot of things that can cause this and it can be a nightmare to diagnose. Check underneath where the car has been sitting for a while and note any fluids pooling on the ground. These cars are also known for leaking half-case seals and water cross-overs, the '03's probably less than earlier models. I'd beware of any aftermarket audio add-ons. They are problematic and probably weren't done correctly.

OK, so now that I've scared you, you should be able to find a decent one out there and they are fantastic cars. Fast, comfortable, safe, great audio, good in foul weather, great handling with the F55 option and they can be had relatively cheap. Just know they are not cheap to maintain.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I looked into those sites that sell aftermarket replacement "covers". They usually don't fit correctly. They look a little better when an upholstery shop installs them, sometimes some work has to be do e to the foam, but they still don't fit like the original leather. I would definitely recommend having a good upholstery shop make and install new covers.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    03 with 60k miles was for sale for 2-3 months near me. Is gone now. $6k range. Low miles units are hard to find

vacuumbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville STS

My biggest disadvantage is that they are all in far places and I have to rely on things like pictures, an honest seller, and Carfax. I don't really have a choice when I want something so specific like an 03 Seville STS black on black. There's one in New York with Nav that was a southern car most of it's life that has 108K miles on it. Carfax shows it had a bunch of owners and the seats seem to have more wear than I like. I may just have to go with that one.

It's my fault for selling my 03 Seville that I had, so now I have to get what I can find to replace it.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
    My biggest disadvantage is that they are all in far places and I have to rely on things like pictures, an honest seller, and Carfax. I don't really have a choice when I want something so specific like an 03 Seville STS black on black. There's one in New York with Nav that was a southern car most of it's life that has 108K miles on it. Carfax shows it had a bunch of owners and the seats seem to have more wear than I like. I may just have to go with that one.

It's my fault for selling my 03 Seville that I had, so now I have to get what I can find to replace it.
    -------------------------
    are you REALLY that desperate for a car -
    you are willing to settle for a high mileage -
    multi-owner car with a trashed interior?

did that work? - NO? - OK how 'bout -

at 100,000+ miles -
    you KNOW it's going to need struts and shocks - SOON - if not NOW -
    and if you don't come up with $2500 PLUS labor - you might as well get an SLS -

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

If it is a NYC car it is sure to be beat to shit and ready to sleep with the fishes!

Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

I'd wait. Sooner or later one will emerge from a grandmas garage somewhere in immaculate condition with 50K or less, and you'll be kicking yourself for jumping too soon.

I found an 02 Seville STS. Build date is 3/02. The car has 62,000 miles on it. California car. Clean Carfax, two owners, but same family. Black on black. Only problem is a big dent on the drivers side front fender. I'm going to get it!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That's a F55 (Magnetic Ride Control) car. IF you teach yourself to drive the thing hard and fast on tight roads you will be flat amazed. Also study Performance Algorithm Shifting.

The 2003 Seville STS that I used to own was also an F55 car. It will be interesting to see if this one drives any different.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.