Oil Level - Northstar - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Oil Level - Northstar in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, will get new oil level sensor and go from there. Thanks Ranger for the location....
    fltdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 ELdorado

Re: Oil Level - Northstar

Ok, will get new oil level sensor and go from there. Thanks Ranger for the location.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Take a look in my albums - there's a pic of the oil pan (sitting on the garage floor) filled with 7 quarts of oil. The various parts are labeled.

The Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff.

The oil level sensor is nylon and uses an O-ring seal. Don't get carried away and over tighten it............. it uses a magnetic float tube around a reed switch in the wand = Oil level drops, the switch turns on and sets the message. If you do proper underhood checks every two weeks you'll never see the message unless the sensor fails or exhaust manifold heat chars the wiring, causing a short.

I try to check the fluids in all of our vehicles every weekend, the first time it came on the oil was a little below half on the dipstick so I filled it to the full mark and the message never went away. Hoping it's the sensor because I'm not sure on what would need to be done to repair/replace the wiring for it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Remember to drain the oil BEFORE you pull the oil level sensor.

I'm assuming this is because it will pour out the opening or is there another reason behind draining the oil, such as misreadings etc..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Look at my recommended picture. Post #17. A picture is worth a thousand words.

......... and just below halfway on the dipstick hashmark is the correct operating level - That Cadillac Technical Archive again.

Yeah, it'll drain out of the hole you pull the sensor from and make a mess.

So the message disappeared a day before the new sensor is supposed to get here, figures. I cleaned the TB and IAC valve because I was also getting a "service idle control" message, cleared the codes and both messages went away. The thing that kinda ticks me off is even after cleaning the valve the idle message came back on a day later as soon as the car hit 50+ mph on the highway. Not sure why it would come on after hitting highway speeds but I will try cleaning the valve with pipe cleaners to make sure I get the area down by the spring. If it happens again I'm assuming the valve needs replaced, but could someone tell me why it doesn't show up until I hit hwy speed then is there every time it's started? Is it something to do with the tests that are run while driving that fast or is there something that is happening at those speeds to trigger the fault?

Not sure why it would come on when you hit highway speeds. Perhaps it's just a coikydink.

FWIW, my daughters '04 SLS had a high idle one day out of the blue. I cleaned the IAC valve and it settled down, then came back a few weeks later, but not near as bad. I pulled it and cleaned it again the other day and so far all is well. If it acts up again I'll probably have to replace it.

That's the thing, it's not even idling bad, right at or just above the 750rpm hash mark. Nice smooth idle, not rough or making weird noises.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    coikydink.
    Is that the official spelling? I've always wondered .

Changed the oil tonight and went to put the new sensor in and found the wires had snapped at the connector, they were alright when I ordered the sensor. This must have been why the message disappeared then came back, bunch of build up must have had the same resistance that the sensor does when level is good. I also found the cause of a pesky drop or two of oil every day on my garage floor, the drain plug gasket was only about 30% there. So I got to make a couple trips to the parts store today but everything is working better than ever.

Do have a couple more questions though:
    1. The antenna will go partially up then when given some assistance will go the rest of the way up (larger section initially only comes partially out) then same in reverse, gets to within a couple inches and needs to be pushed. Though if left halfway up it will go down completely on it's own. I lubed the shafts with silicone, pulled the carpeting in trunk and the motor wobbles a bit. Is there a way to service the motor/assembly without replacing?
    2. While I was under the car I noticed a connector hanging uplugged (passenger side, at about were the floor pan is) and was coming from a group of wires going to the rear of the car down the middle. Can take a picture since my description is lacking. It had orange rubber for the seal. Any off hand ideas what this is for? I plugged it back it but didn't seem to change anything. The only code I had been consistently getting was P0550 Power Steering Pressure Sensor Malfunction, now that I think about it, it was close to some sort of tubing, could be the pressure line to/from the steering rack.

Harry Yarnell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

L
    Live in a rural area? Squirrels (AKA lawn rats) have an affinity for vinyl and wiring. Check to see if the wires haven't been chewed off the sensor.
    BTDT.

Quote Originally Posted by fltdriver View Post
    1. The antenna will go partially up then when given some assistance will go the rest of the way up (larger section initially only comes partially out) then same in reverse, gets to within a couple inches and needs to be pushed. Though if left halfway up it will go down completely on it's own. I lubed the shafts with silicone, pulled the carpeting in trunk and the motor wobbles a bit. Is there a way to service the motor/assembly without replacing?
    Remove the cover and liberally apply white lithium grease to the cable and gears.

fltdriver likes this.

I can't read everything the bubbles say, Starting with the gear and rotating conter-clockwise I get:
    Apply grease
    Apply grease .......
    Apply grease
    Squeeze to lower nut
    Flat side up

Even zooming just distorts the words if you could fill in the blanks or point me to a higher res pic because this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.