Is the STS reliable?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Is the STS reliable? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am looking to get a 95' or 96' STS with around 70K miles. IS this a good idea? I ...
    emarra is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Is the STS reliable?

I am looking to get a 95' or 96' STS with around 70K miles. IS this a good idea? I know that if I get an Audi, BMW or Benz with the same miles I can get another 100K out of them. I love the STS but I don't want to be sinking a ton of money into it at 100K.

Also any things to look out for would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    don't know if this helps, but I bought a 95 sls with 132k on it. needed minor fixes and tlc. Now after 6 months and 3000 miles, it is a good ol gal for sure. Comfortable and 'hauls butt'. Course if yer married like me, the wife will claim it as soon as it is finished.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I know more than one around here with well over 200,000 on them and they're running strong. They have their issues but are overall very reliable.

Forgot to say..'Tell'm it is leaking oil..(most do!) bitch about dealer costs etc..

I paid 6k cash

Hope this helps ou...and TY KC

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Yes, the engines and transmissions are strong. People will argue with you all day long that American cars are built to die at 100k miles and that's just not true. Truth is, European cars have the same mechanical issues that American cars have, and you have the added insult of having to go to those European car garages just to get it fixed because no regular shop will touch it!

The Northstar should be good for at least 150-200k miles. I have 112k happy miles on mine and look forward to many more. Maintenance is the key, just like with all cars. If you have two identical cars, but one a 95 and one a 96, go with the 96. Starting with 1996, all GM cars received DEX-COOL coolant, which negates many of the cooling system maintenance problems earlier cars had. With 1995 and older, coolant must be changed every 24k miles or 24 months. If this doesn't happen, the aluminum engine and gaskets can fall prey to corrosion. The DEX-COOL coolant has corrosion inhibitors to prevent this, and is good for 150,000 miles or 60 months.

If you're set on the 92-97 body style, look for a '97. They have some upgrades that are worth while to get, like extra body gusseting and improved front suspension geometry and increased front brake size. There's certainly nothing wrong with the earlier models, but if you have a lot of choices, I'd lean towards the later models (especially 1996 and newer).

Good luck with your new purchase!

JadC

My 95 pegs 205 wailin and has No coolant problems. Why pay extra for Dex Promise?
    Keep the batterey wet, and Charged...Computer secret!

emarra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks Guys...I think I am going to look for the lowest mile car and not worry about the year as much. I have 10K to spend and ofcourse the less I spend on the car the rest can go into the Harley fund.

You got it , emarra! They be fine automobiles..kinda like Horses!...lol

Check the teeth!....and tell'm you are a poor boy!

Originally posted by ljklaiber
    JadC

My 95 pegs 205 wailin and has No coolant problems. Why pay extra for Dex Promise?
    Keep the batterey wet, and Charged...Computer secret!
    Because Dex-Promise won't coat the insides of your engine with silicates like the green stuff does. The green stuff and DEX-COOL are both ethylene-glycol based coolants, but one of the differences in them is their corrosion inhibitor package. The green stuff uses silicates, which usually are depleted in an AVERAGE of 24 months/24k miles. Figure about two years and you need to replace the coolant. DEX-COOL is far superior in that it uses organic corrosion inhibitors, which have much longer life than silicates. It's recommended to drain/refill every 5 years or 150k miles for DEX-COOL vehicles.

Once the corrosion inhibitors are gone, the aluminum will begin to pit and scar and you start seeing head gasket problems. Will it always happen? Of course not. Is it more likely to happen if you don't maintain the cooling system on a pre-DEX-COOL car? Absolutely.

What suddenly becomes important when you buy a used car is you don't know the past maintenance history on that vehicle. You're always playing the odds when you buy a used vehicle. It's always in your best interest to try to minimize those odds as much as possible. You might buy a perfectly fine 1995 STS that's been maintained meticulously, but the chances of that are slim. Most vehicles haven't been maintained like they should; this is especially true with the cooling system. DEX-COOL goes a long way to protect you against past non-maintainers.

Buy a '96 or newer. Your risk of cooling system damage is much reduced, and you get the new interior for '96.

OK! You may be right! I'll just play my hand and se if I shoot craps....

After all, I am just an old fart...lol!

LOL. And I'm just a young'un (23 yrs old).

It's fine if you know the past history or if you are the original owner. It's not that the draining and refilling is the problem -- it's not knowing about the past maintenance when the vehicle is 7/8 years old and 70,000-100,000 miles.

Jadcock
    I hate toadmit that 23 year olds are smarter than me..lol

But I gotta say..You my friend..are damn OK!

I know what I know from places like this. Mass education. T'aint it great? Thanks again Sal for a nice place to converse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.