1983 Seville transistor replacement on A/C Power Module
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1983 Seville transistor replacement on A/C Power Module in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all, Thanks to this forum, I learned about this nifty mod that can save you hundreds of dollars. I ...
    andrewgorny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Seville (standard)

1983 Seville transistor replacement on A/C Power Module

Hey all,

Thanks to this forum, I learned about this nifty mod that can save you hundreds of dollars.

I pulled out the old transistor and am ready to put the new Sylvania ECG-130 in. Anyone have soldering tips for this delicate maneuver?
    Do I half-insert the pins, melt some solder and push the thing in? Or drop solder in? I've only ever soldered wires, so any help is much appreciated.

For those of you who are electronics savvy but are unfamiliar with the setup, here's a pic:

powermod.JPG

Thanks yall in advance
    -Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Re: 1983 Seville transistor replacement on A/C Power Module

Ideally you want to remove all the old solder from the PCB with a solder sucker or some braided wire. Then insert the new transistor into the PCB fully, solder the new pins to the traces.

If you have to, install the new transistor and melt the old solder on the PCB to get the pins installed fully. Don't over-heat the transistor; quickly heat and solder, you don't want to burn the new chip.

From the picture, it looks like that PCB is potted? Do you have access to the underside of the board?

no access to the underside of the board.

Well, I can't figure out how to get the thing soldered. The wires coming out of the transistor go pretty deep through the heatsink to the other side (which I can't for the life of me figure out how to get open so I can see the other side). There's a compatible car at the u pull it in town here and I guess I'll see if the power module is still in the car.

Thanks anyway for your help!
    -Andrew

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Yeah, unless you can get the potting out then you won't be able to re-solder that transistor. If it was asphalt potting compound it would melt out at ~120C. But that looks like some sort of epoxy. You'd have to dig it out mechanically, it would be a mess.

Sorry that didn't work out for you. Hopefully the pull-a-part will have what you need!

It doesn't matter anyway, I cannibalized a spare from an 85 Seville at U-Pull and the blower still doesn't turn without the grounding test. So I guess I'll just have to buy some testing gear like a light and see if I'm still getting signal or if I snagged another burned out unit.

omston is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Seville

cut an acsess hole on the top side above the transistor razor knife out the soft gel type material use desoldering wire to remove the solder holding it in use a soldering iron to solder the new one in.

----------

If the motors drawing to many amps thats what burned the first one out if you didnt replace the motor to it could have burned the new transistor. Solder an inline fuse on the power wire going to the motor if it blows you need a new motor too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.