Eldorado Conversion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Eldorado Conversion in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1994 Eldorado that I am converting to electric. I found it at pick n pull for sale ...
    EVcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 etc

Eldorado Conversion

I have a 1994 Eldorado that I am converting to electric. I found it at pick n pull for sale as a "builder". It fired up and ran great, but within a minute or so it began pouring white smoke out the back and stinking up the building. Anyway, I loaded it up on the trailer and brought it home. I pulled all the gasoline related components out of it, and am beginning the electric conversion. It will be rear wheel drive with a Lincoln mark 8 independent rear suspension, power glide transmission under the back seat, and electric motor in the tunnel. Sound fun?
    Bobanna likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Sounds expensive and extremely labor intensive. Good luck.

For starters, how do you plan on making the computers happy with all the missing parts? Will a converted vehicle pass inspection with the check engine light on?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Eldorado Conversion

Let us know how the work progresses

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

couldn't you find a HEAVIER CAR?

I assume you have ALL the "NORMAL" problems thought out - and solved -
    battery type and placement -
    AC - or DC motors -
    how many feet of extension cord will fit on a reel - under the hood -

a power glide transmission - REALLY? - ah - WHY?

-----------------

first two questions that come to mind -

how are you going to supply the POWER part of the power-steering -
    or is this going to be an ARMSTRONG steering system -

how are you going to supply the POWER part of the power-brakes -
    or is this going to be a FLINTSTONE brake system -

good luck - sounds like a fun weekend project -

be SURE to keep us posted -

OH - pics - we will need LOTS and LOTS of pics -

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Sounds expensive and extremely labor intensive. Good luck.

For starters, how do you plan on making the computers happy with all the missing parts? Will a converted vehicle pass inspection with the check engine light on?
    You are quite right about expensive and labor intensive. I have completed a few other conversions and they were all that way. As for inspections, CA only has smog. Electric conversions are inspected once by a smog referee to verify that it is pure electric, and then they exempt it from future smog inspections. Engine light? The ECM goes in the scrap pile with all the other gasoline related components, and a new computer goes in its place.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    What were the other cars you've converted. We're they as electrically complex as these cars? do you install your own gauges? Did you do RWD conversions on them as well?

And of course, why an Eldo?

I started doing conversions on Metros since they are very simple and are very lightweight and aerodynamic. From there, I was able to develop all of my own logic circuits and instrumentation, as well as a "system" of conversion that makes sense. As for the complexity of the Eldorado, I pretty much start with just the shell of the vehicle and re engineer everything. Very little of the original vehicle is left other than the look of the original "donor" vehicle which in the case of the Eldorado is quite appealing to me.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Powerglide probably for size and simplicity and he probably already has adapters for it. Don't powerglides have removable bell housing? Why swap to a rear wheel drive setup is my only question. Should be cool.

Bobanna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible

Wow. We need people like this. My initial thought was, WTF? Clear to me now, though, that this is a sophisticated, and thought-out process to modernize a run-out Eldo. This conversion eviscerates the stock vehicle, it seems, and leaves the classic Eldo shell covering an entirely new drive system. Like others, I wonder about your approach to the suspension itself, along with cumulative additions and subtractions from the vehicle weight. Please keep us informed with pictures (lots), diagrams, drawings, etc. It sounds bold and ambitious. Good luck.

One thing that is very different about electric vehicles is that there is no need for the engine to idle when the vehicle comes to a stop, which works out quite well with manual transmissions. Just come to a stop, and don't even bother pushing in the clutch pedal. In my previous conversions I have found that 3rd gear is a nice gear to start out in, and fifth is the next gear. No problem going through all five gears, but only two are needed. In the case of an automatic transmission, the torque converter needs to continue spinning when the vehicle comes to a stop or it will slam if you spin the converter from a stop up until there are enough rpms for it to engage. Soooo, I needed a 2 speed transmission, and I was not going to have a clutch pedal in a Cadillac. The estimated weight of the conversion is 4500 pounds, so it needs to be pretty substantial. I went ahead with the powerglide since it has a long and reputable history. Manual valve body, 1.82 ratio, and a few extra disks. The bell housing is sawed off and an electric pump is there to do what the torque converter did. The pump is set to come on below 50 psi, and then shut down at more than 50 psi while under way.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

pardon my skepticism -

this is usually the type of post we see by a 16 year old - in shop class - for EXTRA CREDIT -

good luck -

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Dare I ask what an estimated conversion cost is? Will be exciting to follow this one along.

Here are some pics of the "donor chassis"

Interior out of the way

Northstar out of the way

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Now that's a project!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVcaddy View Post
    electric motor in the tunnel.
    Or where the tunnel was.
    Doesn't leave much room for the driver.

As for motor and powerglide placement, I have my eyes on the space where the gas tank used to be, and then the motor will fit in the rear of the tunnel with the rear passengers losing a little bit of foot room for a larger tunnel.

Here is the Lincoln Mark 8 independent rear suspension that I pulled at pick n pull out of a '97.

It looks a lot different from this one from the Eldorado

Much work to be done here. This is not exactly a bolt n ride modification.

----------

Here is a link to another conversion that I did a little while back. This is the build thread that shows the entire build from when it was a crap bucket like this Eldorado is now, all the way through to pictures at the car show. You can see the instrumentation that will be used in this Eldorado in that ride, as well as a number of other concepts that I will be using in this build.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5005471/1/?x=90#new

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.