Eldorado Conversion - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Eldorado Conversion in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think Oldstuff is saying since the trans(and engine) are not actually isolated completely there will be vibrations. A traditional ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Eldorado Conversion

I think Oldstuff is saying since the trans(and engine) are not actually isolated completely there will be vibrations. A traditional mount has rubber encompassing the bolts. While the rubber strips will have has cushioning vibration will be transmitted through the bolts. Have you considered el cheapo GM style trans mounts? Since the EL motors have a lot of torque are they hard on mounts and need to be secured rigidly?
    Great work by the way.

EVcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 etc

Quote Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
    That lashup will transmit any vibration directly to the framework of the car and thereby to the body. You need another strip of rubber and another plate under the mount plate.
    Any metal to metal contact can set up an annoying resonance. Mounts are rubber bonded to rubber on both sides so there is no through bolt. For a home made lash up like this you should drill the bolt holes very large and put a rubber washer around the bolts where they pass through the mount plate.
    Dave
    Thanks very much for the input. This is what I love about building a car on a forum. So, if I cut out the exact same rectangular plates as the ones that are tacked in place and cut out duplicate rubber as well, this would work? There would be rubber above and below the cradle then instead of only above.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Make it a tad smaller, you wouldn't want it to touch the cross member.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by EVcaddy View Post
    Thanks very much for the input. This is what I love about building a car on a forum. So, if I cut out the exact same rectangular plates as the ones that are tacked in place and cut out duplicate rubber as well, this would work? There would be rubber above and below the cradle then instead of only above.

The motor does not look too big when it is not in the car, but it looks a lot bigger inside. It is in fact a twin motor in one case...

Here is a view from the trunk

Here is some detail on the motor end mount

Looks like a cannon...
    Not 2nd guessing you but did you consider mounting above the rearend in the trunk and using a chain drive like a transfer case uses?

I have seen EV conversions with motors beside the transmissions or diffs, but I worry about transferring energy that way.

One of these days, I want to do a rear diff and point the input shaft and motor straight up. It would be a crazy site when you opened the trunk... Maybe put some LED lights facing it?

Heavy duty chain setups are common in industrial setups. There really is zero lost energy and then you could adjust the input speed of the rearend with a sproket chain swap.
    That would be a site seeing all that poking up from the trunk, gotta have pulsing lights

Here are some shots from down below.

Ludacrisvp likes this.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Great work man!

Here are the shock mount perches. The original set up on an Eldorado has the shocks contained in the original suspension cradle, so I had no mounts at all to work with. Even if there were mounts, they would most likely not have been in the right spot.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Awesome.........

Finally got weight on wheels for the first time. Everything measures out like a dream, and it seems to really like sitting on the Lincoln independent suspension. The front end is still light from being gutted, but not for too long...

N*Caddy likes this.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

What’s the rear track on the Lincoln compared with the Cadillac?

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    What’s the rear track on the Lincoln compared with the Cadillac?
    The rear wheels track the same as original. I measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface on the Eldorado suspension before I went shopping at pick n pull for this suspension. There was another similar ford suspension that was wider, but this width was within 1/8". The new wheelbase is about a half inch shorter now. If you stand back and look at any Eldorado, you will see that the rear wheels sit closer to the rear of the wheel opening, and I opted to mount the cradle forward a hair to center the wheels in the opening. The suspension travels from about 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock when you are standing in front of the wheel opening, so it took some planning to have the wheels centered in the opening with weight on wheels.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

This is why I asked because the wheels do seem a bit "odd" positioned. It looked to me as if were just a hair in and a bit forward, but that could just be the camera angle and the body position because of no weight on the front end.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.