Eldorado Conversion - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Eldorado Conversion in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My thoughts exactly....
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    My thoughts exactly.

EVcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 etc

Re: Eldorado Conversion

The beginnings of the motor cradle. All DOM tubing.

The motor cradle will be mounted to the suspension cradle with these bolt flanges to make the two cradles act as a single unit, but also allow me to remove the motor cradle without having to remove both cradles. There will still be more mounts added to this to mount it to the chassis.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Elec motor is under/below floor pan?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Looks like it'll tuck up where the exhaust was.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Looks like it'll tuck up where the exhaust was.
    The power glide is going to fit under the rear seat where the gas tank was, and it looks like the sheet metal will not need to be modified. This will be nice because the rear seat won't need to be rearranged. The motor lines up with the tunnel in the back seat area, and will need extensive sheet metal work. There will be a big section cut out with the plasma cutter, and then a new rear tunnel will be fabricated to house the motor.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

You do beautiful work. The only suggestion I have at this point is the differential is rubber mounted giving possibility of undue torque strain on the trans. input shaft. I would use a constant velocity joint or possibly a rubber connector used on large electric motors. Without two joints any movement of either the motor or the differential could lead to premature failure.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by EVcaddy View Post
    Preview of the rear suspension, differential, transmission, and motor as it will be in the car.

Nice catch oldstuff, I have been scratching my head on this for awhile. I am planning to rubber mount the transmission as well, but in a pretty solid way. I have actually been considering adding a timken bearing pressed into a block and directly on the outside of the transmission yoke. This would be rubber mounted as well and might offer a little more control. I do not believe that I have ever seen a bearing pressed onto the outside of a transmission yoke before, but then again I don't recall ever seeing a rwd Eldorado either...

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Easiest would be to hard mount the rearend eliminating the rubber mounts. If that motor and rearend don't move together or completely separate something is going to crack. Pretty much same thing that happens if you run a solid trans mount and rubber engine mount, the trans breaks. What about a CV joint instead of straight coupling? Wouldn't that allow some movement of both?

As far as I can tell, the universal joint will allow movement of both components, but I understand that the rubber mounts on both should be pretty solid. Almost rigid. I do confess to not fully understanding the difference between a CV joint and a universal joint, but in either case there will be almost zero movement and the two components are being aligned as if I were using a rigid coupler. I would like to use a rigid coupler, but that is very difficult to precision align and both components would have to be locked together as a single unit. I am open to all suggestions...

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

CV just has another U Joint in it allowing 360 rotation at all times, think about it as just a short driveshaft. A regular driveshaft has the u joints clocked 90 degrees from each other. With your setup now they are basically solid joined and no movement will be tolerated or something will give. You will have to have that setup absolutely perfect or it could tear itself to pieces. A thought, is there room for a very short shaft?

I plan to leave some extra room to move the motor back, but plan on running the joint as is at first to see how it works out. This is one of the reasons for joining the cradles with the flanges. If the coupling needs to be re engineered, it will be simple to pull just the motor cradle and make whatever changes are necessary. The diff is still geared for 3.something and I am going to be needing something around 4.10, but I will probably test drive it with the gearing that is in there in case the rear end takes a beating from this coupling. It feels like I am pushing my luck on this coupling, but it may very well work as well. I am pleasantly surprised to see that this project is being presented in a community that is savy enough to catch this potential problem.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

No the u joint will not allow movement of both units unless they move in unison. The bend point is dead center of the u joint and that has to be constant. The only way to have individual movement is to have two joints with a short driveline in between. I believe that can be accomplished with the CV joint from the joint used in the driveline of a rear drive Cadillac. Not sure on that one though, but I do know you need two joints to allow for individual movement. Otherwise the yoke will bind in the trans tail stub housing and can break the housing. Puting a bearing there will just put more strain on the joint causing it to fail.
    There is another way and that is to build brackets to mount the motor directly to the differential, then you could use a rubber direct connector.
    If you use the joint you have the allignment will have to be precise.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by EVcaddy View Post
    As far as I can tell, the universal joint will allow movement of both components, but I understand that the rubber mounts on both should be pretty solid. Almost rigid. I do confess to not fully understanding the difference between a CV joint and a universal joint, but in either case there will be almost zero movement and the two components are being aligned as if I were using a rigid coupler. I would like to use a rigid coupler, but that is very difficult to precision align and both components would have to be locked together as a single unit. I am open to all suggestions...

Just got the rotors and hubs back from the machine shop. The Lincoln had the 5 on 108 pattern instead of the 5 on 115 pattern that we are used to in Eldorado world. The rotors had to be drilled as well since they are thicker vented rotors instead of the solid ones that came on the Eldorado. Now this ride has 4 wheel VENTED disks and can take stock wheels

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I only caught this now. LOVE IT!!!!!

My plans to someday build a RWD Eldo involved either a Northstar or a 403/455 c.i. Olds V8......realistically, as busy as I am, that will never happen. I'm glad to see someone do this; and I've always had an interest in electric conversions.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    pardon my skepticism -

this is usually the type of post we see by a 16 year old - in shop class - for EXTRA CREDIT -

good luck -
    Bass, you think things through pretty thoroughly. It's understood, because most anyone that would post a thread "EV conversion project involving Cadillac Eldorado" would be running their mouth. EVCaddy is clearly not. I'll be checking in on this thread routinely I think he has our attention!

EVCaddy - you could put me out of business fixing the Northstars with this project :P I can't wait to see the finished project! What's the voltage and full load amps that motor's going to be pulling?

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    I only caught this now. LOVE IT!!!!!

My plans to someday build a RWD Eldo involved either a Northstar or a 403/455 c.i. Olds V8......realistically, as busy as I am, that will never happen. I'm glad to see someone do this; and I've always had an interest in electric conversions.

----------

Bass, you think things through pretty thoroughly. It's understood, because most anyone that would post a thread "EV conversion project involving Cadillac Eldorado" would be running their mouth. EVCaddy is clearly not. I'll be checking in on this thread routinely I think he has our attention!

EVCaddy - you could put me out of business fixing the Northstars with this project :P I can't wait to see the finished project! What's the voltage and full load amps that motor's going to be pulling?
    --------------------------------

EVCaddy - you could put me out of business fixing the Northstars with this project
    if I were you -
    I wouldn't be selling your tools -

or posting a GOING OUT OF BUSINESS sign in the front yard anytime soon -

I think he has our attention!
    YES - he does -
    I will READILY admit that the man has some SERIOUS SKILLS -

HOWEVER - with a ~30 minute / 30 mile range -
    and a price tag of probably closer to $20,000 than $10,000 -
    not including the car -

I can't imagine too many FWD Cadillacs being converted to RWD electric -

but - I could be wrong -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.