Eldorado Conversion - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Eldorado Conversion in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Here is the stock suspension cradle forward mount. Obviously, that mount will never work, so here it has been cut ...
    EVcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 etc

Re: Eldorado Conversion

Here is the stock suspension cradle forward mount.

Obviously, that mount will never work, so here it has been cut out

Here is the new mount tacked in place, ready to weld.

70eldo likes this.

Most of the welding is done on this mount. Once the other front mount is made, all four mounting points for the cradle will be locked in and the cradle can be removed to allow access to finish the welding, fab work, and sheet metal work. Then I can move on to the next cradle that will hold the electric motor and powerglade. The motor cradle will be under the back seat and should not encroach into the interior other than a slightly larger tunnel between the rear seat floors.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Fantastic.......

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If this works out well, you should start selling rear wheel drive kits for our FWD Eldos and Sevilles .
    97EldoCoupe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    If this works out well, you should start selling rear wheel drive kits for our FWD Eldos and Sevilles .
    If there was a demand for this, I would make it happen. On gasoline models the rear end would look just like what I am doing here, but the added challenge would be dealing with the transverse motor configuration, the fuel tank that blocks a potential drive shaft, and the back of the engine cradle. The factory engine cradle blocks The tunnel opening in a bad way, and the steering rack is mounted right there too. It is very possible to make it work, just a lot more time.

My thoughts on making this particular Eldorado RWD is that it will be a rather timeless platform that is easy to retrofit with whatever components are available in the future. The key is that these Eldorados are very nice looking cars that are very comfortable to drive. They were not the best quality builds, but beautiful to look at and drive. At this point they have fully depreciated, but they can start life all over again as re engineered EV platforms. The actual components are very interchangable so instead of having a high kelley blue book value, the primary value will be in the components. Aftermarket EV components are as interchangeable in EVs as aftermarket car stereos components are, the key being that they are aftermarket and not the super proprietary components in OEM EVs. The components in OEM EVs become worthless really fast since they only work on those exact cars. Anyway the RWD set up in this one will make motor updates and swaps into a 45 minute job instead of a huge project. The Ford 8.8 differential has a ton of aftermarket parts available, and like the powerglide transmission, it has stood the test of time. Northstar parts are going obsolete a lot faster than the Ford 8.8 and the powerglide parts are...

Some finishing touches to the mount... Diagonal gussets are welded in. The diagonal line matches the lines of the original frame rail.

I don't know what these supports are called, but I pulled them off of the Lincoln along with the rear end. They were the wrong shape to fit the Eldorado, so they have been shortened and made flat. That piece next to the oem mount is what was cut out.

Here is a pic of the mount flattened and shortened, bolted to the frame rail. View from inboard.

View from outboard.

70eldo likes this.

OK, all four cradle mounts are welded, so no more need to have the cradle mounted. Having the cradle out allows access to complete the rest of the structural and sheet metal work. here is a pic of the completed surgery for the front cradle mount, which was by far the most complicated portion of the surgery. There were some welds that could not be accessed with the cradle in the way..

The new frame rails needed to be integrated with the factory rails. Here is a pic of the big gap that had to be closed. This is the driver side forward rail integration.

This is the passenger side forward integration as a comparison. Several pairs of vice grips were used to squeeze the factory rail closed, and then it was welded under pressure. Welding stuff under tension is not a good practice in collision repair, but in this application there will be a bunch of other structural stuff done so it will be fine.

Here is a better pic of the passenger side rail integration.

70eldo likes this.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

frenzicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Amazing work! Read everything and i cant believe someone is actually doing something like this. My big question is.. how much hp do you think youll be able to push to the rear wheels after all is said and done?
    may be a long shot of a question, but any estimates?

This build is more about efficiency and comfort than it is about performance. It should feel about like it did with the Northstar, but with a little more power at lower speeds, and a little less at high speeds. The gearing is being set up so that the 2 speed powerglide hits 47 mph in low, and about 100mph in high, which means that the top speed will be a little lower than a stock Eldorado. The rear end will certainly take more than what I am going to run, but I want to make sure that this chassis is built to accept other motor configurations in the future. Providing that there is enough room, there will be extra space built into the rear of the tunnel to accommodate larger motors.

Just got the drive shaft in. The 8.8 has a flange style yoke, but it made more sense to just get a yoke that holds a 1350 series universal joint since I needed to get a yoke for the powerglide anyway. The transmission yoke and differential yokes will be linked together with the universal joint. Drive shafts don't get much shorter than this. Both yokes are made by Strange Engineering and are stamped USA, and the U joint is a Spicer 1350.

----------

Just got these shocks in too. Double adjustable to dial in the right ride

The "C" knob adjusts the compression, the "R" knob adjusts rebound

As with the Ford rear suspension cradle, there is no place to mount the top of the shocks to, but I think we can make a place...

70eldo likes this.

vacuumbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville STS

Amazing project! And I like putting Ford parts in GM's.

Preview of the rear suspension, differential, transmission, and motor as it will be in the car.

fltdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 ELdorado

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I saw this thread after the first post and I said to myself “yeah right another 16 y.o. kid day dreaming”. But now it really turned out to be very interesting after seeing that Geo Metro job.
    I really like the way it goes so far...I am all tuned in for sure.
    97EldoCoupe likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.