Small Transmission Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Small Transmission Leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This has been going on for quite some time now (several months) but it is finally getting to me. There ...
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Small Transmission Leak

This has been going on for quite some time now (several months) but it is finally getting to me. There is a very small collection of transmission fluid drips on the ground towards the center of the of the car and towards front of the engine. I am thinking it is running down from somewhere else and just finding the low point there at the center. Only happens if the car sits for hours after a long drive. Only seems to reoccur after another long drive and long sit. Not much fluid but enough to leave little, unsightly messes everywhere.

The engine and transmission are not clean to the point where I am able to spot a "new" leak easily. However, I have performed a lot of recent work in this area for it to be possibly disguised as leftover leaks from previous issues. I did notice however that on top of the opposite side of the pan on the casting, on the drivers side towards front, there is a sensor threaded into the casting. Temperature sensor? It looks to be in rough shape and is oily. I replaced the radiator-to-transmission line that threads in directly above it. I ensured that the threaded portion of this line was secure and leak free to the trans. I had a leak there previously and it certainly dripped down to the sensor.

The sensor doesn't look good but also notice there is possibly a quick connect trans line crossing over right above it. Do either of these commonly fail? How hard are they to get to if need be? I will have access to a lift in a week, input is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Axle seal?

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor
    Transmission fluid is quite flammable.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: Small Transmission Leak

The trans fluid temp sensor is internal to the transmission. No wiring or physical sensor visible without disassembly. A good cleaning and inspecting would tell where it's leaking. If you post a picture of the sensor you're suspecting, it would be easier to tell what it is.

But, I believe the cooler lines aren't the common leak points when it comes to Northstar cars, unless it was previously (incorrectly) serviced before.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.