how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi just notice last night that one of my front headlight bulb is out anyone know how to replace headlight ...
    old_school is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002)

Hi just notice last night that one of my front headlight bulb is out anyone know how to replace headlight bulb on a cadillac seville sls 2002 do i need to take out the whole headlight

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by old_school
    my front headlight bulb is out
    As opposed to your rear headlight bulb?

Yes, the headlight assembly has to come out. You have to remove the plastic radiator sight shield. You'll see 6 (?) plastic push retainers holding it down. Pry/pull them out. If any break, you can get new ones at most parts stores. There's a channel molded into the shield that supports the radiator hose above the water pump drive pulley. You'll have to "unhook" the hose.

Once the shield's out of the way, there are 2 bolts holding in each light assembly. Slide a towel between the bumper and bottom of the light to prevent scratches. Once the bolts are removed, the only thing holding the assembly in is a plastic ball and socket retainer near the cornering light. If it's the first time the lights been removed, it will be TIGHT. Pull the light straight forward. I usually "slat" the cornering light with a forward motion to disengage the plastic retainer.

Replace all of the bulbs while the assembly is out, do both sides.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU PUT THE RADIATOR HOSE BACK INTO ITS CHANNEL IN THE RADIATOR SIGHT SHIELD. If you don't, the water pump drive pulley will cut through it.
    old_school likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002)

Also posted in Cadillac Tech Tips.

While you're at it replace ALL the bulbs in each assembly.

If you break a sight shield retainer pop rivet, extras at the Help! racks at parts stores or a Fastenal store. The two inner light assembgly retainer bolts - one long, one short, 10mm - NOT the Torx screws - should receive a dab of anti seize on the lower 4 threads. Same for the rear pop ball on the light assembly. The rubber dome over the back of the 9006 low beam bulb simply pops off/on.

Here's the non-HID bulb arrangement.
    old_school likes this.

thanks MoistCabbage and Submariner409 looks like alot of work for someone who has never done this befor its one of the low beam bulb thats out am just thinking of replaceing both low beam bulbs just got some today from the auto store by my house they were $52 just for 2 phillips low beam bulb they told me that they were a little brighter how much would it be to replace all bulb i would think more then $100 for each headlight if just theses 2 low beam bulbs were $52

Edit : if i would take the car in to a cadillac dealers do any of you know how much it would cost me to get this done replaceing all bulbs on both headlights with labor work

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's not difficult at all.

P.S.
    Those push pin rivets have a button in the center. Push it in before pulling the rivet. Then pull it out and after reinstalling it, push it flush.

Or the may be screw type like this.
    old_school likes this.

The (OEM) plastic retainers on the shield are the regular push on types, not the type with the screw. That type's only in the air deflector under the radiator, and in the wheel well liners.
    old_school likes this.

accuab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS
    The air deflector and wheel well on mine are all push pin ones. Where as the top cover are the screw type.
    old_school likes this.

When I got the car, there were a bunch of random retainers in the sight shield, air deflector, and one wheel well. I ordered the "correct" ones at a dealer. Either it changed over the years, or the way it is on the dealer diagram is different from how it left the factory.
    old_school likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by accuab View Post
    The air deflector and wheel well on mine are all push pin ones. Where as the top cover are the screw type.
    The top cover (radiator sight shield) pins also pull out/push in. Have you actually tried to unscrew one with a #3 Philips ? ..... But it takes a thin flat blade to get under the "screw" head and begin to lift it.

The lower deflector pins in the wheelwells are slightly different ....

My sight shield rivets were all chewed up, so I replaced the whole mess, top and bottom, with fasteners from a local Fastenal store -

AuVeCo replacement, GM retainer, P/N 14093088, SKU 0162659. $8.29 for a box of 25. (for the sight shield holes, these puppies are TIGHT.)
    old_school likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It seems that GM used whatever they had available. My sight shield rivets are push type. My daughters '04 SLS are the Philips screw type. As Sub said, they are a PITA to remove.
    old_school likes this.

Hi all thanks for the help and reply am going to go ahead and try doing it myself today what tools would i need to get this done i dont have that many tools also is this done all from under the hood or do i also need to get the front wheels off i was looking at this video today someone replaceing light on there cadillac sts dont know if i would also need to do this on my sls 2002 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKQ2EDVt8gI

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    How do you know if you have HID or non HID LIGHTS without taking then out and looking at them?
    old_school likes this.

wanted to ask about the trun-park bulb the ones that should auto trun on for a few months now i notice that they turn on in the day time while in drive but i think they are not auto turn on while in park also at night they dont turn on while in drive or park most of the time does anyone know what this can be could it be a sensor dont know if theses lights work with sensor

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    How do you know if you have HID or non HID LIGHTS without taking then out and looking at them?
    Without even opening the hood - use the RPO list under the spare tire cover. RPO TT6 or TT7. (TT8 and TT9 are RHD and Japan. respectively)

The roadside illumination turning lamps only work when the turn signals are used - there's a relay set that is excited by the R - L turn signal stalk setting. (No bright "parking" lamp - just the perimiter low level lights at dusk, before you turn on the headlights (or the Sentinel does). You can disable DRL (and DRL only is affected) by pulling Fuse 24 in the underhood box.
    old_school likes this.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    Look at the outside of the headlight lens. You will either see HB4 or D1S embossed in the plastic. HB4 for halogen, D1S for HID.
    old_school likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.