how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I could try removing the 'dummy' fuse and put in the fuse from the foglamps, just to try it out. ...
    DJP1990 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville STS 136k Miles / 95 Volkswagen Polo 6n
    I could try removing the 'dummy' fuse and put in the fuse from the foglamps, just to try it out. (As I do not have a spare lying arround)

It wouldn't make sense to me as why they would completely overhaul the electric system for export models, but then again it wouldn't surprise me.

So they only work when D, 3, 2 or 1? Interesting...

Will post an update when I've tried it out. Hope to do so soon!

--------edit-----------
    Yikes! I meant there's a dummy relay in place of the DRL relay, I could try to pull the foglights relay and switch them temporary with the DRL and see if that's plug and play...

Paul London is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 Seville STS

Re: how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002)

Geez, first dummy fuses - now dummy relays! I had assumed there were just empty slots for fuses/relays for components not fitted - although I must admit I'm not overly familiar with the fuse boxes on these models.

Generally manufacturers fit a standard wiring loom/harness as the unused wire is cheaper than R&D + cost of smaller production runs for variants. As for domestic/export models, it's not that simple as, eg Sweden has required what we now term DRL's (as an alternative to using headlights at all times) since the mid/late 70's - so the Swedish export models (at least) would've had them before they were required (or are they only permitted?) in the States.

As for rear foglights, they, curiously use a standard BA15 single filament bulb - in a holder that looks like a conversion for wedge type bulb. I was surprise to learn the home market ones have bulbs or are they additional stoplamps, a la Lexus?

DLR's only work in D, 3,2 ,1 to comply with regulations about only being used while moving - but regulations also require them to only work in daylight (clue's in the name!) BUT any number of European models have them working at night as well.

This weekend coming is my last at home before a couple of days in Germany (for Essen Technoclassica) before leaving for the US for this year's road trip so as will still have my 450 mile roundtrip in the Caddy, won't be time to investigate fuse 24. Perhaps by the time I'm back on line when I return DJP1990 will have posted the answer, so I won't have to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul London View Post
    Geez, first dummy fuses - now dummy relays! I had assumed there were just empty slots for fuses/relays for components not fitted - although I must admit I'm not overly familiar with the fuse boxes on these models.
    Haha, sorry about that... All fuse slots are filled with actual fuses, even the fuses that we do not seem to use in the European models. The (relay)fusebox under the hood have is also filled though the relay's for the DRL's and corneringlamps are dummy's, they have a distinctive other partnumber. I'll try to look into it this weekend and will post a picture of what

Generally manufacturers fit a standard wiring loom/harness as the unused wire is cheaper than R&D + cost of smaller production runs for variants. As for domestic/export models, it's not that simple as, eg Sweden has required what we now term DRL's (as an alternative to using headlights at all times) since the mid/late 70's - so the Swedish export models (at least) would've had them before they were required (or are they only permitted?) in the States.
    Exactly, that's why I'm leaning towards the 'plug-and-play' solution concerning replacing the dummy relay with a working one. Can't Imagine that the whole wiring schematic is different on a European model... Then again, it would not surprise me!
    Our headlamps are also different, as in the US ones have the parkinglamps within the turn indicator. European headlamps have a different bulb for that, that's infront of the turn indicator light. This is because we can also select (when the car is turned off) which side to have the parkinglamps turned on (only left, or only right or both). So Then again, it would not surprise me if the whole wiring diagram is different...

As for rear foglights, they, curiously use a standard BA15 single filament bulb - in a holder that looks like a conversion for wedge type bulb. I was surprise to learn the home market ones have bulbs or are they additional stoplamps, a la Lexus?
    Shouldn't ours (euro models) do that aswell?

DLR's only work in D, 3,2 ,1 to comply with regulations about only being used while moving - but regulations also require them to only work in daylight (clue's in the name!) BUT any number of European models have them working at night as well.
    Never quite figured that out... Cars like a Renault Megane or Honda Civic can ride at night, with the DRL's on without the driver knowing that the 'headlights' are not on... No idication about that inside the car aswell... As where our Cadillac's would say 'HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED'. Got to love Cadillac for that!

This weekend coming is my last at home before a couple of days in Germany (for Essen Technoclassica) before leaving for the US for this year's road trip so as will still have my 450 mile roundtrip in the Caddy, won't be time to investigate fuse 24. Perhaps by the time I'm back on line when I return DJP1990 will have posted the answer, so I won't have to bother.
    Sounds like a nice trip to do so! Have fun an have a safe drive. Also be sure to give it some on the Autobahn ;-) Especially the BMW's and Mercedeses (and Opel Insignia's (Buick Regals)) don't like it when their overtaken by the Cadillac's!

As I said before will try to look into it this weekend, will post soon!

Dennis

Pulled the what I thought was a Dummy relay but it wasn't!

Everything is there, so the wiring must be different in Export cars than in domestic ones.

Looking at this diagram made me wonder:

What do your cars have on -4, -17, -18, -33, -35? Also what does ACCY mean? And what makes me even more curious is, what do you guys have in -42 (Exp HDLP WASH)?

Dennis

Paul London is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 Seville STS

I did have a chance to have a quick look at my fuse box & noted that fuse 24 is also for foglights - although I see on yours it isn't.
    Also that black relay is turned through 180 degrees on my mine, & won't fit in as yours because it's a 5 pin relay - & the centre pin determines which way it fits. Of course on a car with no DRL's, it's odd it's there at all. Why change the wiring, when (as I understand it, Americans can chose to have D-R-L's or not) - particularly when required for cars bound for certain European countries.

I was interested in what you said about the parking lights as I always thought the European ones were odd: in the manner of a curiously amateurish conversion. The other differences are the blanked off cornering lights & the operational front sidemarkers - which aren't required! (curiously, they're blanked off on my Cherokee of the same year!).

It'll be my 5th visit to Essen (once by train, once by Jag, once in a 2CV & twice in different Cherokees) so I know 2 days isn't long enough & it's become a bit routine, especially as I don't think I can afford autobahn performance in the Caddy as unlike the Jag (which returned a consistant 20 mpg, regardless of how it was driven) while the Caddy does 25, under about 90 mph over that it starts to revert to city consumption of, say 16).

----------

p.s. I think "ACCY" = accessory

Weird, 24 is DRL on mine... I do wonder what the rest of your fusebox diagram looks like.

Weirdly enough the way the black relay is put in, is the only way it will fit in mine aswell as like you said it's a 5 pin relay.
    Though, like you may have noticed, I made the picture "upside down". So fuses 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 are on the lower side of 'the underhood fusebox picture'.

As for the parking lights, i feel the same way! They do look amateuristic but I think the bulbs we use, drain the battery less when kept on (Doesn't mean I like them better would love to chance them like they should be). Would also love to have the cornering lamps as they are becomming a standard on current day euro cars...
    Concerning the front side markers, I'm happy they work! Their quite usefull while squeezing in a small parking space in the dark... they give you quite an idea in how close you are.

Well there's one comfort in Germany... the gas prices aren't that high, so I use that as an excuse to give her some ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.